THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Rough shift from Park to Drive after parking overnight

10-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
fredo166
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

Rough shift from Park to Drive after parking overnight

I recently got a 2016 M235i 8AT(). In the mornings, I've noticed that after I start the car and shift from P to D (I back into my garage at home) I get a groaning noise from the back of the car. Also, the car feels like it squats down and wants to take off if I didn't have my foot on the brake, I know having the car in D and taking my foot off the brake the car will move forward, but this feels like it would be a severe lurch. The severity seems to increase the longer the car is parked also.

At work, I pull forward to park and there are no issues shifting from P to R.

This isn't my first BMW but it is my first automatic (). Any ideas if this is normal or what the issue could be?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
fredo166
Registered
Rep

Yes it happens even if I let the car run for a bit and wait for the revs to drop.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CSL View Post
This is what cold start does. It injects enormous amount of fuel into your cylinders to warm up the car faster, which at the same time, produces power. When you shift from park into drive, the power instantly transfers to the wheels and pushes the car forward a lot faster than a warmed up engine.

Didn't you notice the rev at cold start is about 1400rpm while other times it's 600rpm?
Ah, no. Our modern injection systems very precisely control the air/fuel mixture. At start up, there is nothing even remotely close to "enormous" fuel increases. Such an over-rich ratio would flood the engine so much it would either barely run or completely quit. At most, the air/fuel mixture is very slightly increased until the engine warms up, and that is very quick. And as you imply, injecting more fuel does not increase power. The air/fuel ratio is critical in any engine - too rich or too lean decreases power. Sure, the idle speed may go up a bit until the engine warms up, but that's not because of more fuel; it's the [temporary] throttle position setting.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
fredo166
Registered
Rep

So should I be concerned then? It's very noticeable when it happens but I can't really reproduce it until the cars been parked for a while. I'm sure others would know what I'm talking about if it happens to them also.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

The behavior sounds fairly normal for an automatic. The first shift of the day is always stiffer. I think if this is your first automatic it may be taking you by surprise.

As to whether you should be concerned, it is a matter of degree. Is there someone more familiar with automatics around that could try it? Let you know what they think?

I've also noticed that the auto is really loose and sloppy when it's cold. Not sure if it's lack of hydraulic pressure, or cold fluids, or the computer not quite being on the game yet. The torque converter is slipping a lot, the first 1-2 shift is loose, and there's a lot of slack/surge in the driveline. I know the converter lockup on the ZF is really aggressive, going on at just a few miles per hour. It might just be sticking when it's cold, and I'm feeling full slushbox mode.

But, it doesn't take long to wake it up. Once it's past the first 2-3 shift, or a few hundred yards of travel, it's acting normally. And 'normal' for this car is as good as an automatic gets.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The groaning is the ebrake and/or rear pads releasing. Normal sound, especially on this car.

It's very very common for automatics to be lurchy we shifting from park to drive/reverse when cold and especially if you're still in the cold idle.

Lastly, the automatic transmission fluid is stone cold which also can lead to lurchiness, a slamming affect when shifting from park to drive or reverse, laggy shifts, etc. until it gets up to temp.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: M 240

Mine does this also and so do other owners have reported this. Its just a characteristic of the car really, mine is garaged and when I go to use it I let it run a while for the cold start cycle to finish and keep my foot on the brake pedal when selecting drive then slowly release as if using a clutch to smoothly pull away. Once its warmed its no problem.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
fredo166
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's something I just need to get used to. The car is fantastic otherwise.
Appreciate 0