THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Extended warranty worth purchasing before original warranty runs out?

10-09-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
Mr. Slowly
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Extended warranty worth purchasing before original warranty runs out?

My original four-year warranty on my 2014 228i is going to run out in a few months. I'm hoping to keep the car for at least another 2-3 years. I currently have about 30k miles on the car, so usage is less than 10k a year, and will likely remain at that rate. Is it worth buying an extended warranty from BMW, or should I just try to find a good BMW mechanic nearby after the warranty runs out and hope for the best?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

It all depends how much you pay for said warranty. You car is low usage/mileage so an extended warranty doesn't make as much sense unless you really get a super deal on it. BMW designs these things with the hope that no major components fail in during the new car warranty period so most are fairly reliable to 50k miles.

That being said, even small repairs at the dealer cost > $500 in most instances due to most dealers charging $150-$200/hour for labor and high cost of parts. If not purchasing a BMW warranty, I would suggest lining up a good independent mechanic ahead of time so you are not scrambling in case something happens.

There are many prior discussions on this subject on this board, do a search to as many data points as possible.

Gone, but not forgotten: 2017 m240i, 2016 GTI PP, 2013 Camaro SS, 2009 G8 GXP, 2008 G8 GT, 2007 335i, 2003 530i
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

My thought is as follows:

You are not a high mileage driver.

Hopefully you don't "flog" the car each time you drive.

With the above being true, I'd skip the warranty and play the odds if you only plan to keep the car another 2-3 years. Unlikely you will have any major issue.

The car will only have approx 25K miles more on it...so it will still be a low mileage car. With just a few thousand miles more than BMW is willing to cover w/ their factory warranty.

Should something pop up, fixing it will in all probability be less than the cost of the warranty.

If on the other hand you were planning to keep the car for 5-7 years and going over 100K+ miles, I'd probably look at some additional coverage.

That being said, much depends on your comfort level driving w/o a factory warranty.

(if you've had no issues so far, rather unlikely something pop up in the next 25K miles)
Appreciate 0