THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack I need better tires

03-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
MrBallooKnot
Private
Rep
Drives: Like I Stole It

I need better tires

I have the Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flats on all four tires. I got my lease last fall and wanted to live through the winter.

I'm seriously dissapointed with these tires. Today, I just about took the car sideways when I goosed it merging on the on-ramp. Temp was in the mid-30's (F) and the road was pretty dry. I was already rounding 60 when I punched it so it was quite a surprise.

In Sport mode these tires spin out way too easy. I think they are probably fine in the front but I'm thinking I needs something stickier in the back for the summer. I'm not looking for anything crazy but something that rides nicely/quietly but can deal with the torque better.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

for summer michelin PSS else if you need all season michelin PS A/S 3
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
MrBallooKnot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
for summer michelin PSS else if you need all season michelin PS A/S 3
Thanks!

So, what happens to summer tires like the PSS in the winter? Are they really, really bad? Great reviews on these tires so I'm leaning towards them. I'm in Denver; we get some snow but it's only significant a handful of days a year. As long as the won't fall apart or something weird in the cold, I'm probably good with it. Worst case, I'll steal my SO's x335 for the day. :0

Last edited by MrBallooKnot; 03-02-2015 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBallooKnot View Post
Thanks!

So, what happens to summer tires like the PSS in the winter? Are they really, really bad? Great reviews on these tires so I'm leaning towards them. I'm in Denver; we get some snow but it's only significant a handful of days a year. As long as the won't fall apart or something weird in the cold, I'm probably good with it. Worst case, I'll steal my SO's x35 for the day. :0
They get really hard at freezing... that's why they are "summer" tires.... also below 30 they could even start cracking....

if you are going to drive in 30 degree weather get the PS A/S 3.... they are almost as good as the PSS but you can drive in cold weather without risk of sliding off or damaging the tire
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
MrBallooKnot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
They get really hard at freezing... that's why they are "summer" tires.... also below 30 they could even start cracking....

if you are going to drive in 30 degree weather get the PS A/S 3.... they are almost as good as the PSS but you can drive in cold weather without risk of sliding off or damaging the tire
Excellent. That's what I was wondering. Below 30 is very common in Denver. I may still do the summer tires but I'll swap them out for winter. Tough call though if you think the all seasons are just about as good...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
augerpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i, Nissan 370Z

I'm in the same boat as you. These Pirelli RFT are bunk (ok in the snow though). I'll use them for winter and getting summer tires for summer. Best of both worlds even if it is a little more hassle.

I had Bridgestone S04's on my 370Z and really liked everything about them, except that the sidewall was a bit soft on hard turns. The track rats at the Z forum have the same complaint on the Michelin PSS so I decided to get Bridgestone RE-11's when summer comes.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
ai388
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I find the stock Pirelli P Zero RSC run flats quite noisy that it's starting to give me headaches when I drive.

Got my eyes on the Michelin's too
Appreciate 0