THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Running wider wheels or spacers question

12-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Running wider wheels or spacers question

Just curious for some feedback from those running spacers and or wider wheels.

First, as the tire gets out closer to the wheel well lip it throws more debris up against the panels behind the opening. it is not only louder but it chips/scratches the paint. How do you guys cope with this? Just ignore it? There are many individuals on here that are much more particular about their rides than I (not to be an issue, it is a good thing). I spaced all 4 of mine out 15mm and noticed a big increase in this.

Second,
with increasing the track center 30mm (15mm per side) it makes the steering heavier and changes the way it turns in. When I had my 128i and installed 135i wheels and tires I didn't notice an increase that much but spacing the wheels out on the 235 it feels dramatically different. Maybe due to the electronic steering? I would assume that wider whee;s/tires would have a similar affect. Quite possibly after awhile I would not even notice all this.

Just looking for some feedback/experiences on these items.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Mine are spaced more modestly to limit the kick up - 10mm up front, 12mm rear. I haven't noticed more rocks/debris, but I do not rally with it either.

If its a big concern, you can always put xpel or other film on the rockers and lower panels to protect it.

In five years of running flush wheels on my Audi, I only noticed one chip and I cannot be sure that the wheels are what caused it.