THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics iphone 6 and bluetooth music playing BROKE

12-20-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
jsbird
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2009 328i

iphone 6 and bluetooth music playing BROKE

Hi-
I have a new iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1.2) and the enhanced audio option on my 2015 M235i. My old iPhone 5 worked fine on the car's bluetooth.
Here's the problem:
- the iPhone 6 pairs with the car's bluetooth, no problem.
- I can make/receive calls using the bluetooth, no problem.
- However playing music or podcasts does not work. The iDrive display shows the selection, even shows the timer of the selection as it "plays", but no sound from the system.
- My son paired his iPhone 5 (using same iOS 8.1.2), did the same thing, and his podcasts and music played just fine over the car's stereo.
- Tried: removing the device from the car's bluetooth. Then on the phone "forgetting" the car's system. Then pairing again from the beginning. Same thing- no music or podcasts are heard, though they show on the iDrive screen.
My iPhone 5 worked fine, as did my son's who has the SAME iOS 8.1.2 on his iPhone 5.
Suggestions?
Thanks to the community,
Jonathan
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

is your iphone set to silence mode ?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Turn the volume up on your iPhone!
      12-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
thesanjiu
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue ll

I have this problem occur sometimes in mine as well. If i switch to radio then switch back to my phones bluetooth it seems to play just fine
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 03:04 AM   #5
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

I've been having this problem with my car and iphone as well. There was an update from about a week ago and it seems like it made it even worse I think. Now it just plain drops the bluetooth connection from my phone completely, before it still thought it would be connected and show it as playing but no sound like you had. I was on the phone once last week and it just went silent like the call had ended almost but I didn't see any confirmation on the screen and then I started to hear my friend talking very faintly still from the phone in my pocket. Its getting annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
jsbird
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2009 328i

operator error

Well, don't I feel stupid.
Pik and MO3 were right- it was the volume on my phone (after I finally got the car and phone to mate- another story). It seems that even though the volume on the phone was at it's usual 70% or so before the BT connected, for some reason at least the first time they connect the volume on the phone was set to 0. A quick slide of the slider fixed this "unfixeable" problem.
So, if anyone else can't hear the BT streaming, check your volume!
Doh!
Note to self- remember what I taught the kids- if an electronic thing does not work, first check that it's plugged in, the connections are ok, and then reboot/reset when all else fails- works for most problems.
JS
Appreciate 0