BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Closeup BMW M2 photos - M double slat grilles and peek at Long Beach Blue

06-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #111
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Those rear fenders are pretty damn wide
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #112
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Yes indeed
Donnington grey is boring. You wanted "special" and your choice is Donnington?
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 10:10 PM   #113
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Quote:
Yes indeed
Donnington grey is boring. You wanted "special" and your choice is Donnington?
The discussion was about the Color Blue... Grey is not a Color !?!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #114
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I'd go donno
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:59 PM   #115
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
are you blind??
You do know we are talking about he actual plate holder and not the car, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:06 AM   #116
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

I am still not sure about LBB. When it looks turquoise i don't like it, when it looks more blue it looks awesome. Both very different shades. My wife and daughter's fav colour is turquoise I'm sure they would love it.
You only have to look at the blue calipers to see how far away from blue it is. Use the first stripe in the ///M logo on the caliper as references and the 2nd pic shows how I wish it looked all the time. How can they be so different??
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 02:15 AM   #117
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82
I am still not sure about LBB. When it looks turquoise i don't like it, when it looks more blue it looks awesome. Both very different shades. My wife and daughter's fav colour is turquoise I'm sure they would love it.
You only have to look at the blue calipers to see how far away from blue it is. Use the first stripe in the ///M logo on the caliper as references and the 2nd pic shows how I wish it looked all the time. How can they be so different??
Bingo !
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:19 AM   #118
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Is it a Special Blue... ?

No !
What blue BMW color would you consider "special" then? Estoril, LSB, Lemans?

IMHO, while I can obviously tell that LBB is an acquired taste, I have no doubt it is special. It is similar to Atlantis Blue, which was an expensive Individual color. So yea, LBB is quite easily as special as VO.
A special blue? Monte Carlo Blue Metallic (B05) - as released on the 2009 E92 M3 Edition and 2012-current F10 M5.

Java Green would be another colour that would be special and suit the M2.

If BMW want it to be a special colour then there isn't any reason why it shouldn't be a colour that is usually selected from the Individual range.

While Leipzig can't do Individual orders, I don't see any reason why one of the four fixed M2 colours couldn't be a colour that would usually be considered Individual but would be produced at Leipzig on a relatively mass scale.
Because they are only set up to paint certain colors at the entire plant that it is built in.

Any special color that you are suggesting means one less color option for all of the other vehicles produced in that same plant.

By the way.. This makes me realize why Valencia orange ended up on the m135, and X1 ...
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 02:44 AM   #119
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

delete
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 03:29 AM   #120
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Because they are only set up to paint certain colors at the entire plant that it is built in.

Any special color that you are suggesting means one less color option for all of the other vehicles produced in that same plant.

By the way.. This makes me realize why Valencia orange ended up on the m135, and X1 ...
Why the rant? All he said was that they could use another color than LBB. No other car produced in Leipzig has that color now anyway so it could be any color they wanted basically.
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2015, 04:38 AM   #121
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

First thought I had when I saw LBB was metallic "bleu pétrole" (petrol blue). Second thought was cocktail blue.

LBB risks to show on a compact car like the M2 some kind of diluted blue/green hybrid with metallic particles. It results in a 'hollow'-ish optical effect, unlike the stronger optical effect provided by a 'solid' color.

Will LBB look great on an M2 ? The M2 will likely look great in virtually any color. It just takes the first to show us an M2 in a (more) vivid color wrap (a bright red or yellow) to take the M2 to the next level, design wise. Most will then question BMW's decision to limit the color palette to monochrome (black/white/grey) and a watered down SUV blue (X5M - X6M).
      07-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #122
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Is it a Special Blue... ?

No !
What blue BMW color would you consider "special" then? Estoril, LSB, Lemans?

IMHO, while I can obviously tell that LBB is an acquired taste, I have no doubt it is special. It is similar to Atlantis Blue, which was an expensive Individual color. So yea, LBB is quite easily as special as VO.
A special blue? Monte Carlo Blue Metallic (B05) - as released on the 2009 E92 M3 Edition and 2012-current F10 M5.

Java Green would be another colour that would be special and suit the M2.

If BMW want it to be a special colour then there isn't any reason why it shouldn't be a colour that is usually selected from the Individual range.

While Leipzig can't do Individual orders, I don't see any reason why one of the four fixed M2 colours couldn't be a colour that would usually be considered Individual but would be produced at Leipzig on a relatively mass scale.

RTFM? That's a bit harsh.

I'm well aware the Leipzig plant is not setup for Individual but I doubt that they are only setup to paint certain colours - more likely that it's select colours chosen by BMW, no matter what colours they are, e.g. they could choose to paint various shades of yellow only, if that's what they decided.

Notwithstanding that, a small number of Individual cars have been done at Leipzig, e.g. a Java Green 1M close to the end of production, supported by comments from SCOTT26 here and here.

To suggest that BMW can't allocate one special colour for the only ///M model that is manufactured at Leipzig is a bit far-fetched.

And if that means one less color option for all of the other vehicles produced in Leipzig then I, and I would think the vast majority here, would be in favour - and rightly so. Take a look at the following facts and try to convince me that a special colour (and even an alternative colour to LBB) couldn't be used.

Colours by cars manufactured at Leipzig:

X1
Black
Alpine White
Cashmere Silver
Le Mans Blue
Mineral White
Marrakesh Brown
Glacier Silver
Midnight Blue
Mineral Grey
Valencia Orange
Deep Sea Blue
Black Sapphire

1-series 5-door
Alpine White
Glacier Silver
Mineral Grey
Estoril Blue
Valencia Orange
Black Sapphire

2-series
Alpine White
Black
Glacier Silver
Midnight Blue
Mineral Grey
Mineral White
Estoril Blue
Black Sapphire
Deep Sea Blue
Melbourne Red
Moonlight Silver
Sparkling Brown
Valencia Orange

2-series Active Tourer
Black
Alpine White
Mediterranean Blue
Sparkling Brown
Glacier Silver
Atlantic Grey
Platinum Silver
Black Sapphire
Flamenco Red

i3
Andesite Silver
Arravani Grey
Iconic Silver
Laurel Grey
Solar Orange
Capparis White

i8
Sophisto Grey
Iconic Silver
Protonic Blue
Crystal White

All colours used at Leipzig:

Alpine White
Mineral White
Black
Black Sapphire
Atlantic Grey
Mineral Grey
Cashmere Silver
Glacier Silver
Moonlight Silver
Platinum Silver
Deep Sea Blue
Estoril Blue
Le Mans Blue
Mediterranean Blue
Midnight Blue
Valencia Orange
Melbourne Red
Flamenco Red
Marrakesh Brown
Sparkling Brown

BMW-i cars
Capparis White
Crystal White
Arravani Grey
Laurel Grey
Sophisto Grey
Andesite Silver
Iconic Silver
Protonic Blue
Solar Orange

Total number of each colour:
4 white
2 black
7 silver
5 grey
6 blue
2 orange
2 red
2 brown

Total number of colours: 30 !!! and more than half are monochrome (white, black, grey and, yes, silver).

Just over five years ago, Dackelone went on a Leipzig factory tour and counted 39 colours on the wall.

Last edited by 135; 07-01-2015 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Reformatting URLs
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #123
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi
Quote:

Why the rant? All he said was that they could use another color than LBB. No other car produced in Leipzig has that color now anyway so it could be any color they wanted basically.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #124
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I seriously can't even read this thread (and most of the M2 subforum these days) without cringing.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #125
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
First thought I had when I saw LBB was metallic "bleu pétrole" (petrol blue). Second thought was cocktail blue.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #126
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi
Quote:

Because I have been to the factory ...?!

I've seen the production lines, the paint booth , paint process, the materials recovery process in the paint both.. and the color palette at that factory ...

It's easy to sit around and say what you THINK should happen if you have no clue what you are even talking about.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-01-2015 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #127
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis

It risks to be a kind of diluted blue/green hybrid with metallic particles. It results in a rather hollow optical effect, unlike the optical effect provided by a solid color.

Will it look great on an M2 ? The M2 will likely look great in virtually any color. It just takes the first to show us an M2 in a (more) vivid color wrap (a bright red or yellow) and most will start asking why BMW went for monochrome (black/white/grey) and a watered down blue.
People are already asking that lol.

I agree,, it likely won't look bad in any color. I don't see a lot of 1Ms that I dislike , wrapped or otherwise.

here is a very light blue " Yas Marina " - 1M...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144799

Here is a very blue San MArino blue - 1M -

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075623

Regardless of whether or not people like LBB... it will look good I am sure... and it's clear that BMW is using three stage paints that vary in shade as part of their bright colors..

Valencia Orange
Austin Yellow
Long Beach Blue
Yas Marina Blue
etc..

And even the non white/gray/black colors for the M3/M4... Sakhir orange, is a color that changes a lot along with Silverstone.

None of the colors are a solid two stage ..... Which is why there are no reds, greens, or even blues ... not sure WHY this is a trend.. but it sure seems to be one.

I for one.. would like to see an actual Red... I Would never buy it ..but it would teriffic I am sure

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-01-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #128
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:

I've seen the production lines, the paint booth , paint process, and colors at that factory ...

It's easy to sit around and say what you THINK should happen if you have no clue what you are even talking about.
We're all very impressed that you've been to the factory, but that's not a rebuttal to his point:

"No other car produced in Leipzig has that color now anyway so it could be any color they wanted basically."

If BMW added a color at Leipzig for the M2, it could have been any color. The only valid counter argument I can think of is that BMW has plans for more LBB cars to come out of Leipzig, and going with another color would have disrupted those plans.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #129
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
Exactly!
stick around... you might learn something... ..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #130
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
We're all very impressed that you've been to the factory, but that's not a rebuttal to his point:

"No other car produced in Leipzig has that color now anyway so it could be any color they wanted basically."

If BMW added a color at Leipzig for the M2, it could have been any color. The only valid counter argument I can think of is that BMW has plans for more LBB cars to come out of Leipzig, and going with another color would have disrupted those plans.
I just said that.. ;-)

And I also said this is why Valencia Orange is on so many models that came out of Leipzig

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-01-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #131
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
RTFM? That's a bit harsh.

I'm well aware the Leipzig plant is not setup for Individual but I doubt that they are only setup to paint certain colours - more likely that it's select colours chosen by BMW, no matter what colours they are, e.g. they could choose to paint various shades of yellow only, if that's what they decided.

Notwithstanding that, a small number of Individual cars have been done at Leipzig, e.g. a Java Green 1M close to the end of production, supported by comments from SCOTT26 here and here.

To suggest that BMW can't allocate one special colour for the only ///M model that is manufactured at Leipzig is a bit far-fetched.

And if that means one less color option for all of the other vehicles produced in Leipzig then I, and I would think the vast majority here, would be in favour - and rightly so. Take a look at the following facts and try to convince me that a special colour (and even an alternative colour to LBB) couldn't be used.

Colours by cars manufactured at Leipzig:

X1
Black
Alpine White
Cashmere Silver
Le Mans Blue
Mineral White
Marrakesh Brown
Glacier Silver
Midnight Blue
Mineral Grey
Valencia Orange
Deep Sea Blue
Black Sapphire

1-series 5-door
Alpine White
Glacier Silver
Mineral Grey
Estoril Blue
Valencia Orange
Black Sapphire

2-series
Alpine White
Black
Glacier Silver
Midnight Blue
Mineral Grey
Mineral White
Estoril Blue
Black Sapphire
Deep Sea Blue
Melbourne Red
Moonlight Silver
Sparkling Brown
Valencia Orange

2-series Active Tourer
Black
Alpine White
Mediterranean Blue
Sparkling Brown
Glacier Silver
Atlantic Grey
Platinum Silver
Black Sapphire
Flamenco Red

i3
Andesite Silver
Arravani Grey
Iconic Silver
Laurel Grey
Solar Orange
Capparis White

i8
Sophisto Grey
Iconic Silver
Protonic Blue
Crystal White

All colours used at Leipzig:

Alpine White
Mineral White
Black
Black Sapphire
Atlantic Grey
Mineral Grey
Cashmere Silver
Glacier Silver
Moonlight Silver
Platinum Silver
Deep Sea Blue
Estoril Blue
Le Mans Blue
Mediterranean Blue
Midnight Blue
Valencia Orange
Melbourne Red
Flamenco Red
Marrakesh Brown
Sparkling Brown

BMW-i cars
Capparis White
Crystal White
Arravani Grey
Laurel Grey
Sophisto Grey
Andesite Silver
Iconic Silver
Protonic Blue
Solar Orange

Total number of each colour:
4 white
2 black
7 silver
5 grey
6 blue
2 orange
2 red
2 brown

Total number of colours: 30 !!! and more than half are monochrome (white, black, grey and, yes, silver).

Just over five years ago, Dackelone went on a Leipzig factory tour and counted 39 colours on the wall.

Yes... and the setup and changeover process.... isn't an easy process... so... while 30 colors are possible... they are not possible ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Cool to see the list of 30 colors.. THANK YOU. The fact that EIGHTEEN of the 30 are grey/white/black/silver says a lot already... and realistically.. only 4-6 of those colors are bright colors.... 2 reds... 2 oranges... and throw in a couple of the blues for good measure.

And of course... what you are ALL forgetting is how much this factory is running to produce the current models. it's already running at a max - and it began that way when the X1 exploded onto the scene... So much that the X1 wasn't event brought to the US because they couldn't make enough to support the US market..

When I was at the plant IIRC it was running at or near the max capacity of 7xx cars and they were running two shifts...

... Indeed... many of the changeovers are for some of the more unique vehicles that are produced at Leipzig ...
They do have some one/off and special runs that are produced there .... and oddly.. when this is done it is for models that aren't actually produced there..
(ie... NOT 1 series models.. when I was there... IIRC there were some protection models etc.)

The changeovers that they were doing along with running at max capacity were already causing the PAINT BOOTH to run three shifts....

Believe it or not guys... the paint process IS the bottle neck on vehicle production.. it's about the only place on the line where the car isn't moving...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-01-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #132
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:

I've seen the production lines, the paint booth , paint process, the materials recovery process in the paint both.. and the color palette at that factory ...

You just keep on being rude without even addressing the real question. No one has even questioned that. They just wanted a different color. No need to talk down on people or prove yourself better than everyone else.

Lighten up a bit.
Appreciate 0