THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning My N55 thinks it is a N20... Help!

03-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M235i & X1 2.0d

Garage List
My N55 thinks it is a N20... Help!

Putting the final pieces in place today - after having done a complete repaint due to a left front hit.

Engine was removed together with gearbox and it all worked flawlessly when it was taken out of the car.

Today it is all back in place and of course there is a list of fault codes - but the most surprising is that the diagnostic system reads the engine as an N20 and the engine runs on four cylinders...

While the Engine was out of the car we did one thing - remapped it.

Any one ever heard of any thing like this? Anyone gotten the wrong mapping and is it even a chance for it to start if the ECU was loaded with an N20 mapping? Can it even be loaded with the wrong mapping?

At the same time - none of the steering column controls or steering wheel controls work - any one know anything about what might cause that?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
remapped the dme as in you flashed it with some aftermarket tune? I would say first place to start is to flash it back to stock as it sounds when you remapped it, it went terribly south. I would definitely go back to stock as a starting point. Good luck and let us know!
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      03-12-2017, 03:33 AM   #3
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
remapped the dme as in you flashed it with some aftermarket tune? I would say first place to start is to flash it back to stock as it sounds when you remapped it, it went terribly south. I would definitely go back to stock as a starting point. Good luck and let us know!
Yes, the ECU was flashed, and yes we do understand something went wrong, but my question was more if anyone, that does flashing/remapping, or that has had that done, ever experienced that they got the wrong file, or if it is even possible to install the wrong file on the correct ECU and even let the car start.

There is a lot of electronics that goes bananas after a crash and since we also have had the entire dash, engine, gearbox etc, out of the car we might have missed something - that we're currently searching for. So either we actually got the wrong file and managed to install that, and funnily enough even got the N55 engine to start when it thinks it is a N20 four cylinder and hence only runs on 4 cylinders - or... there is something else in our electrical system that is spooking us and we haven't found it yet.

So, if any one has any experience with a similar situation - I am all ears. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Did they not make a copy of your DME before flashing it?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      03-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Did they not make a copy of your DME before flashing it?
Yes, I have a copy. Took the ECU out today and it is being flashed back to original to see if that resolves the issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Let us know if you get this issue resolved

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
It turns out that the diagnostic system was at fault reading the engine wrong, then there was a tiny, tiny component on the print board in the ECU that was damaged. ECU back from repair and engine runs like it should. However the steering column control problem remains. Not been able to find out what causes none of the controls to work, yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Nice, congrats on sorting it out!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Let us know if you get this issue resolved
Turns out that a locking clip on the connector behind the steering wheel control handles prevented fully inserting the connector. Hence it seems that an airbag blow can slightly damage the the lock on the connectors and cause this problem.

But as soon as we got this one fixed we got the next code to deal with. Unrelated to the previous problem, but still.. thought we were done... :-)

Now we got the fault code that the DCS unit did not have power... We checked that it had power and it had ground - still the code reappeared as soon as cleared. Then Micke the mechanic this project couldn't have been done without got the hammer out... The DSC unit was set to re-set in the diagnostics system,and as soon as the OK to start this process was hit he started tapping the DSC unit with a hammer. The unit quickly started giving small rattling noises and the process completed successfully and problem was solved. It turns out that a valve had jammed and when that happens it reads as the unit has no power.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

From a BMW tech standpoint...
I would take the car to the dealer - if it runs...and ask for to have Complete programing/encoding on the vehicle.

This will update all the modules on the vehicle and bring them to the latest version.
Also you can try doing a battery reset by disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery and leaving it off for roughly 1.5 hours if u haven't done that yet.
Appreciate 0