THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2-series cons/pros/bugs/observations

08-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #221
ckfraser
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (MR)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
BMW did a strange thing. I've got an almost-basic M235i. It doesn't have voice command, but they didn't fill the button in with a blank. It clicks and everything, just doesn't do a thing.

Also, the car doesn't have a compass. Not a big deal, it's strange that that's part of the Premium package.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #222
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

From a Product Planner's perspective, it makes sense. Why add the complexity and inventory management cost of an incremental steering wheel with a blank button to the plant, increasing the chance of operator error, for the sake of one button? This also makes Manufacturing happy as one fewer part number is easier to manage. Design Office would prefer not to have an unsightly blank. The take rate for the base car is likely low enough that it is a low frequency event, so all-in-all, the most efficient way to deal with not having the feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #223
Ritz42
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 & R56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfraser View Post
BMW did a strange thing. I've got an almost-basic M235i. It doesn't have voice command, but they didn't fill the button in with a blank. It clicks and everything, just doesn't do a thing.

Also, the car doesn't have a compass. Not a big deal, it's strange that that's part of the Premium package.
I have a 2013 mini cooper S. It has a voice command button on the steering wheel. The interesting thing is that for 2013 voice commands were not offered with any Mini Cooper at all. THe alst model year for the r56's that had voice commands as an option was 2012, but the button was retained.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #224
ckfraser
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (MR)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
From a Product Planner's perspective, it makes sense. Why add the complexity and inventory management cost of an incremental steering wheel with a blank button to the plant, increasing the chance of operator error, for the sake of one button? This also makes Manufacturing happy as one fewer part number is easier to manage. Design Office would prefer not to have an unsightly blank. The take rate for the base car is likely low enough that it is a low frequency event, so all-in-all, the most efficient way to deal with not having the feature.
Yes, but this just feels like one of those times when you say "It's a BMW, not a Kia." Plus, the other side of the wheel has blank buttons since my car doesn't have Satnav.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #225
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
nvm somebody already posted one

Nice! I really need to order that cable so I can code my car (or find someone in San Diego who has one ).

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #226
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:
I think Canada doesn't get real TPMS just the rotational one...

Also i think rubber stems = no wireless sensors
Exactly, I just wanted to provide the confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #227
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i MW/CR

guys, can someone share his token for esys with me for couple of days, just because he is so awesome? or as alternative i can pay for it via paypal really need it soon and also, what is that pzdata soft? which one do i need for simple coding?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #228
cla_bos
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Pressure is the default as long as you have tech package... for temp you have to code it...

now the questions is if you can code pressure or temp with non-tech
Can confirm that I have pressure and temps showing on my M235i without Tech package, via coding.

C
2003 Space Gray E85 Z4 2.5 ZMT, ZSP 'GRAU'
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #229
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

ya i found that is possible too.... damn... 44psi in the front...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #230
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-Miami View Post
guys, can someone share his token for esys with me for couple of days, just because he is so awesome? or as alternative i can pay for it via paypal really need it soon and also, what is that pzdata soft? which one do i need for simple coding?
you want the pdzdata lite... the full is for if you are flashing an ECU... but for simple coding pdzdata lite is what you want about 5GB... full is about 26GB
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #231
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i MW/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
you want the pdzdata lite... the full is for if you are flashing an ECU... but for simple coding pdzdata lite is what you want about 5GB... full is about 26GB
i have both already. so what about esys? i thought i only hook up esys and change values manually...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #232
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfraser View Post

i have the same wheel on a m-sport F30. and yeah no voice command, just a random button.

compass is part of the auto dim mirror housing, so yeah thats the reason for that. why auto dim mirror is part of premium ever seems weird, but its a feature that randomly goes from standard to premium all the time (2013 F30 standard....) on various makes ( 2010 a4 premium plus, standard. 2009 A4 premium plus... only on prestige trim)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #233
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i have both already. so what about esys? i thought i only hook up esys and change values manually...
sent you a PM

you need a patched E-sys else tokens won't work...
what about esys?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #234
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i have the same wheel on a m-sport F30. and yeah no voice command, just a random button.

compass is part of the auto dim mirror housing, so yeah thats the reason for that. why auto dim mirror is part of premium ever seems weird, but its a feature that randomly goes from standard to premium all the time (2013 F30 standard....) on various makes ( 2010 a4 premium plus, standard. 2009 A4 premium plus... only on prestige trim)
Last time I tried a car with auto-dimming mirrors (2007 328i), I actually didn't like it (I thought it dimmed the mirrors too much), so I'm just as glad not to have that feature. I wouldn't mind a compass, though.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #235
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Last time I tried a car with auto-dimming mirrors (2007 328i), I actually didn't like it (I thought it dimmed the mirrors too much), so I'm just as glad not to have that feature. I wouldn't mind a compass, though.
Ditto, I didn't like last auto dim mirror I had.
What I found was that on dark drives, it would go to night mode when there were headlights behind me. Then it would lighten until a car turned the corner or crested a hill and I would get blinded for a second while it dimmed again. Driving cross country was aggravating and there was no way to force it to night mode, finally just flipped it up.

I have been surprised at how happy so many are willing to read manuals to operate the radio and push all sorts of buttons just to get a radio station or engine temperature compared to the old way.

Most don't have an issue that you have to turn, not one, but two, separate temperature knobs to adjust the temperature in the current BMWs but it seems like turning the mirror knob is hard?

I'm curious, do most of you find flipping your mirror to night mode a pain?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #236
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I've never had any issues with the auto dimming mirror in my current car. I have 35 tint all around though so if anything sometimes I feel like it's too dark but not the fault of the tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #237
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Yes, I do find it a pain to switch my mirror day to night, night to day
      08-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #238
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Ditto, I didn't like last auto dim mirror I had.
What I found was that on dark drives, it would go to night mode when there were headlights behind me. Then it would lighten until a car turned the corner or crested a hill and I would get blinded for a second while it dimmed again. Driving cross country was aggravating and there was no way to force it to night mode, finally just flipped it up.

I have been surprised at how happy so many are willing to read manuals to operate the radio and push all sorts of buttons just to get a radio station or engine temperature compared to the old way.

Most don't have an issue that you have to turn, not one, but two, separate temperature knobs to adjust the temperature in the current BMWs but it seems like turning the mirror knob is hard?

I'm curious, do most of you find flipping your mirror to night mode a pain?
Some of the new tech is better than others. Here are a couple things I think have gotten worse compared with my E90:
  • Selecting radio presets using that little dial on the steering wheel now requires a roll followed by a click. You used to just push a button (up or down) and you were done. Also, the indicator in the gauge cluster that shows the station is nice, except that it only has the RDS name, not the station number.
  • For cars wthout the $2500 tech package, the designers dedicated about one inch of space for showing the RDS info (song, artist, etc.) in the upper right corner of the iDrive display, so if you want to actually read that information, you have to take your eyes off the road several times since only one or two words can show at a time. Pretty dorky.

Also, while I don't think it's the end of the world to have to adjust the driver and passenger temperature knobs separately, I have an idea...the driver's knob should control both temperatures unless there's someone actually sitting in the passenger seat (the car already has a sensor for this to determine airbag deployment). The passenger knob should continue to just adjust the passenger temperature, though, in case the occupant wants to keep the passenger side hotter/cooler for some reason (e.g., keep ice cream from melting? dry off wet socks? ).

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #239
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
The fact that my idrive screen says certain services are avaliable for my vehicle but per conversation with BMW assist they actually are not. Remote unlock, remote horn and light, BMW online
Attached Images

08-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #240
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

i tried remote unlock and horn and they work
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #241
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Some of the new tech is better than others. Here are a couple things I think have gotten worse compared with my E90:
  • Selecting radio presets using that little dial on the steering wheel now requires a roll followed by a click. You used to just push a button (up or down) and you were done. Also, the indicator in the gauge cluster that shows the station is nice, except that it only has the RDS name, not the station number.
  • For cars wthout the $2500 tech package, the designers dedicated about one inch of space for showing the RDS info (song, artist, etc.) in the upper right corner of the iDrive display, so if you want to actually read that information, you have to take your eyes off the road several times since only one or two words can show at a time. Pretty dorky.

Also, while I don't think it's the end of the world to have to adjust the driver and passenger temperature knobs separately, I have an idea...the driver's knob should control both temperatures unless there's someone actually sitting in the passenger seat (the car already has a sensor for this to determine airbag deployment). The passenger knob should continue to just adjust the passenger temperature, though, in case the occupant wants to keep the passenger side hotter/cooler for some reason (e.g., keep ice cream from melting? dry off wet socks? ).

Yes, great idea. There are a few "half done" things with this generation. They dropped the Temp control Sync but didn't do something else like your suggestion to do it right. They drop the key slot but you have to pay for comfort access. If they were going to drop the key method, then make Comfort Access standard. We have already pulverized the temp gauge so not going there.

The thing is, is that the dual climate thing is really not practical. My wife turns up her side in a 1 or 2 series and guess what it makes me warm! I turn my temp down, it makes her cold....it's the same small darn cabin!!!!!!

Butt warmers, sure, that makes sense having two controls but air in a tiny cabin is crazy!!!! Now you have two silly controls. There was no reason to drop the ALL button in the previous generation.

This new climate control reminds me of my 11 hour flight from Paris on Air France in the nineties. I asked for freakin' non-smoking because it gives me a headache. We take off and the three French people in front of me light up. I call the stewardess and tell her that I had asked for non-smoking!

She says, oui oui monsieur!!! This is smoking...pointing the row in front of me and this...pointing to my row...is NON-smoking.. "Von Voyage."
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #242
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yes, great idea. There are a few "half done" things with this generation. They dropped the Temp control Sync but didn't do something else like your suggestion to do it right. They drop the key slot but you have to pay for comfort access. If they were going to drop the key method, then make Comfort Access standard. We have already pulverized the temp gauge so not going there.

The thing is, is that the dual climate thing is really not practical. My wife turns up her side in a 1 or 2 series and guess what it makes me warm! I turn my temp down, it makes her cold....it's the same small darn cabin!!!!!!

Butt warmers, sure, that makes sense having two controls but air in a tiny cabin is crazy!!!! Now you have two silly controls. There was no reason to drop the ALL button in the previous generation.

This new climate control reminds me of my 11 hour flight from Paris on Air France in the nineties. I asked for freakin' non-smoking because it gives me a headache. We take off and the three French people in front of me light up. I call the stewardess and tell her that I had asked for non-smoking!

She says, oui oui monsieur!!! This is smoking...pointing the row in front of me and this...pointing to my row...is NON-smoking.. "Von Voyage."
After reading your second paragraph, I was thinking, reminds me of the smoking section at a restaurant when it's all one room

But yeah, I guess the air blowing out of the vents is all you can control, not the actual temperature of your half of the cabin. I seem to remember reading you can have maybe a 3-5 degree differential between sides.

Appreciate 0