THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Lock/Unlock beep

04-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #23
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

Thatcham approved alarm immobiliser standard in uk with panic button but car still doesn't beep on lock. Indicators do flash though.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #24
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Indeed there are several ways to get around the alarm system, via hacking the CA or otherwise... all done wirelessly I presume, so leaves no trace whatsoever. That being said, an alarm will deter 95% of the amateurs out there just looking to joyride, so if u neglected to option one out, best get it installed after the fact by the dealer, or go the aftermarket route. I'd probably stick w the OEM alarm though cause a good aftermarket one will cost just as much. Also, some non-OEM alarms may drain the battery unnecessarily. Rest assured the car will come pre-wired for an OEM alarm and can easily be retrofitted by the dealer. I've had one BMW stolen already and trust me it's not hard for the pros, but don't leave yourself open to the amateurs too. Fortunately for me, and unbeknownst to the thieves, my car was equipped w a tactical nuclear device, so I just waited a few days to activate it, and presto, no more thieves or car for that matter LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #25
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
It's great - I don't feel like I am searching for my car keys all the time - they just go in the briefcase and stay until I get home.
Here's another tip for the paranoid folks like me. I find the fob option that automatically opens all of the windows and sunroof, while a chick pleaser no doubt, can in rare instances be accidentally activated if the fob is in your pants pocket. More common still, u might accidentally unlock the doors or trunk w/o even knowing it. Unless u can deactivate the former fob function, and live w the risk of the latter - no thx - then what I do is store the fob in a tight fitting plastic container w weather stripping inside the edges so there's no way to accidentally activate the fob. Presto, no worries about accidentally opening or unlocking anything, and the fob rarely if ever needs to be recharged in the ignition. Only CA makes this possible. The only downside of CA, and it is a minor one - is that if u have the fob on your person when washing the car, the water pressure will constantly open and lock the door locks and the car will beep each time.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
MaximumG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i EBII May '14 ED

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
A M235i I test drove did something funky though. The dealer used the remote to unlock the car and there was NO beep. When I remarked about the lack of alarm, he said the car has alarm. I checked the white sticker and there it was - alarm for $400. When I asked why it didn't beep, the dealer said it doesn't always have to beep. For the record, the car was locked beforehand; I couldn't opened the door, and then the dealer unlocked it with the remote.

Isn't that strange? Mistake on the sticker? I don't think so. But why didn't it beep?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #27
silverstone_ttlz4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 35i

You can go into the menus and set it so that the lights blinks when you lock/unlock. Not as helpful as the beep, but does the trick at dusk/night
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #28
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
The 228 I've ordered has a manual transmission. Dont have to worry about it getting stolen here in the Colonies.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #29
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I ordered Comfort Access as well for my . My last car (2011 Prius), though underpowered, was pretty cool.

-Touch the handle to toggle between lock/unlock
-There's a nub under the rear lid that does the same (lock/unlock)
-With key in pocket, simply pull the handle and all doors unlock
-(My fave) In a dark parking lot, as you *approach* the vehicle with your key in pocket, the dome light gently fades up. So you can see the car interior before you even get there. This is very fun when you're with other people at night.

I think the 235 w/CA has most of these features, but I'm not sure about the last. Still I like that iDrive allows you to adjust many of these features.

On another note...I was reading the manual and it *appears* that it's possible to have someone sitting in the car and if you exit the car with a key and lock the car, the person left inside can't get out. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
Yes, CA is indeed not something u think u want or need, but once u've had it, u'll love it.
I have it in my 335i.
I didn't think I needed it, and after having it for over 1.5 years, now I know I don't need it.

If I could option it I'd have a key or a place to put the fob every time I start the car.
The foot swipe trunk unlock sounds like a good idea, but in practice it's f-ing annoying, and I know how to use it, it just doesn't want to cooperate sometimes. I just use the finger button or the fob.
I have no need for the gimmicky CA. There's nothing comforting about swinging your foot under the rear bumper several times before the trunk finally opens.

I know I'm in the big minority on this one, but that's how I feel about that, and I'm sticking to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #31
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I don't believe the CA option (for Canada anyway) comes w the annoying foot swipe option for opening the cargo hatch... u simply use your hand to unlock.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #32
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschulman00 View Post
awhh man, ok thanks guys! i'll just make my own beep sound when i press the lock button haha
Does the beep get louder after lunch?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #33
quickdrum89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'm guessing you get the "panic button" included with the alarm as well...because I just noticed last night that I didn't have one on my key fob.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #34
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Alarm is definitely an option in the configurator.
For some reason, it's not an option in the 228i configurator on BMWUSA.com; it only shows up in the M235i configurator. It's listed in the ordering guide though for both models.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #35
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Alarm is definitely an option in the configurator.
For some reason, it's not an option in the 228i configurator on BMWUSA.com; it only shows up in the M235i configurator. It's listed in the ordering guide though for both models.
And my CA told me if it's not on the website, it's not an option.

Of course, it's on the build sheet. Oh well. Too late now.
      05-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #36
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyalawyr View Post

Just for giggles, I emailed BMW through the "contact a BMWUSA.com representative" option to see why it's not an option on the website.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #37
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Talking The Last Crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
Indeed there are several ways to get around the alarm system, via hacking the CA or otherwise... all done wirelessly I presume, so leaves no trace whatsoever. That being said, an alarm will deter 95% of the amateurs out there just looking to joyride, so if u neglected to option one out, best get it installed after the fact by the dealer, or go the aftermarket route. I'd probably stick w the OEM alarm though cause a good aftermarket one will cost just as much. Also, some non-OEM alarms may drain the battery unnecessarily. Rest assured the car will come pre-wired for an OEM alarm and can easily be retrofitted by the dealer. I've had one BMW stolen already and trust me it's not hard for the pros, but don't leave yourself open to the amateurs too. Fortunately for me, and unbeknownst to the thieves, my car was equipped w a tactical nuclear device, so I just waited a few days to activate it, and presto, no more thieves or car for that matter LOL
“You’re meddling with powers you can’t possibly comprehend.” Marcus Brody
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #38
1Mike1
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyalawyr View Post

It most definitely is an option, my 228i comes with the alarm system and beeps when I lock/unlock.

My CA asked me if I wanted it and added it to the order.

It's also on the white sticker.

Last edited by 1Mike1; 05-08-2014 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #39
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbuff View Post
Just for giggles, I emailed BMW through the "contact a BMWUSA.com representative" option to see why it's not an option on the website.
I received a non-response, telling me that my BMW center has the most up-to-date information on options. I figured that, but I was asking why an option was missing on the BMWUSA.com site.

Anyway, like 1Mike1 said, it's an option that can be ordered. You just can't spec it on BMWUSA.com using the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #40
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
“You’re meddling with powers you can’t possibly comprehend.” Marcus Brody
LOL..ah yes but consider the source, as Marcus once got lost in his own museum.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #41
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
The 228 I've ordered has a manual transmission. Dont have to worry about it getting stolen here in the Colonies.
ROLF
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #42
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumG View Post
Isn't that strange? Mistake on the sticker? I don't think so. But why didn't it beep?
You can toggle the beep.

idrive>main menu>settings>door locks>acoustic signal.
      05-17-2014, 03:33 AM   #43
yep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i ED June 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedUp View Post
It seems pretty silly to not have a little horn noise possible without the alarm. I've had that since my 98 Civic.
Using your horn within the limits of any village/town/city in Germany is illegal, even as a warning of danger. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that BMW wouldn't design cars that can blow the horn during lock activation.
Appreciate 1