THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Questions regarding aftermarket exhaust

02-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 4S

Questions regarding aftermarket exhaust

After digging around the forums for the last 2 weeks, I am finding a bit of mixed information on putting on an aftermarket exhaust. I am curious if someone could confirm my understanding:

-To put on any exhaust designed for the 235 to a 228 requires a change to the rear valence
-Attaching a 235 exhaust to a 228 will require some custom fabrication as the diameter of the pipes is different where they join.

If those are correct, I have a few questions:
-If my 228i has the M sport package, will all 235 valences fit (there are 2?)
-Does the 228 have a valve control for the stock exhaust or is that only for the 235?
-Where does the diameter change? I assume the cats are different and to go to the 235 piping would mean changing everything or have someone fabricate a sleeve to work with 235 mid sections?

Does the SuperSprint race for the 2.8 drone?

Which exhausts do not drone? What about the M Sport? Also considering akropovich and eisenmann (had one on my E46 and loved it).

Thanks in advance! I'm trying to summarize a few different threads I have read.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I dont know about supersprint but REMUS and Active Autowerke both do not drone

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripitz View Post
After digging around the forums for the last 2 weeks, I am finding a bit of mixed information on putting on an aftermarket exhaust. I am curious if someone could confirm my understanding:

-To put on any exhaust designed for the 235 to a 228 requires a change to the rear valence
-Attaching a 235 exhaust to a 228 will require some custom fabrication as the diameter of the pipes is different where they join.

-Does the 228 have a valve control for the stock exhaust or is that only for the 235?
-Where does the diameter change? I assume the cats are different and to go to the 235 piping would mean changing everything or have someone fabricate a sleeve to work with 235 mid sections?

Which exhausts do not drone? What about the M Sport? Also considering akropovich and eisenmann (had one on my E46 and loved it).

-Yes
-It should line up just fine, if you just use the muffler, should be pretty stander connect and clamp.
-If you have the Msport package on the 228, the rear diffuser should be able to pop right in, as it is essentially the same rear bumper.
-Yes you have a valve for your exhaust as well, it blocks off one of the tips basically.

Here is a thread on this very subject:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...=992564&page=2
      02-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #4
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I dont know about supersprint but REMUS and Active Autowerke both do not drone
I like the sound of the Remus quite a bit from the youtube videos. How is it in-cabin?

Am I better off changing to a m235 aftermarket midpipe as well while I do this? How does it mate to the stock cats which I do not want to change (e.g., bolt on, size reducing sleeve)?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like the sound of the Remus quite a bit from the youtube videos. How is it in-cabin?

Am I better off changing to a m235 aftermarket midpipe as well while I do this? How does it mate to the stock cats which I do not want to change (e.g., bolt on, size reducing sleeve)?
Quiet in the cabin with REMUS.

Catback will always sound better than axle back specially if you are keeping stock cats

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quiet in the cabin with REMUS.

Catback will always sound better than axle back specially if you are keeping stock cats
What is involved to make the 235i mid pipe work with the 228 cats? Is this something I can order parts for or do I need to go to a shop and have them do it? While I am a very good DIYer (e.g., engine swap, full suspension, etc.) I'm not a fabricator (cannot weld).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is involved to make the 235i mid pipe work with the 228 cats? Is this something I can order parts for or do I need to go to a shop and have them do it? While I am a very good DIYer (e.g., engine swap, full suspension, etc.) I'm not a fabricator (cannot weld).
Its tough to know for sure without having the product and car in person ... Safest option is to get the Active Autwerke rear section and get the exhaust shop to change your midpipes

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
badge622
Rep
Drives: n-20 2er

Quote:

I put a fabspeed muffler bypass exhaust on my 228. Any 235 diffuser will work. The cars are the same dimensions. Any custom exhaust shop can hook you up.
Appreciate 0