THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dealing and Shifting with Rev Hang

12-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

Dealing and Shifting with Rev Hang

My shifts are pretty smooth and I don't ride the clutch too long on the upshifts, I just smoothly release with no gas and I don't get any jerks or roughness. However, having said that, I don't wait a few seconds between shifts I just casually shift and even with my smooth release I still see the RPMs drop a few hunder RPMs once the clutch is engaged and I was wondering the following...

How bad is it to let the rpms come down once the clutch is engaged/still engaging even if the upshifts are smooth. I understand I'm riding the clutch a bit and let it slip to match the speed of the motor, but how bad is it really for the clutch and transmission. Again, there is no shock or roughness of any kind and I'm not on the clutch too long.

Just wondering really, although I'm trying to be more patient and wait longer now. I didn't even noticed the RPMs dropped even more as my shifts were really smooth and hence didn't even bother me and I couldnt understand everyone's complains about rev hang until I saw the RPM drop a bit after.

Roman

Last edited by Roman G; 12-22-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
fryrice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2c

I would say if your shifts are smooth and there is no "jerk" when you upshift then you are fine.

Only if the upshifts are not smooth I would say let the RPM drop a bit (leaving clutch in) before shifting.

My old Honda civic si (08) had really bad rev hang and sometimes when I upshift I would get that jerk. But leaving the clutch in a bit longer helped but no much, but I later then performed a tune on the car and it got rid of the rev hang and definitely improve my shifts.
Appreciate 0