THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications M Performance Spoiler / Mirror Cap install - what a nightmare

07-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
M Performance Spoiler / Mirror Cap install - what a nightmare

TL;DR
Ordered M Performance Spoiler, dealer attempted to install three different times using two different spoilers. Still can't get it right. What to do?

Wall of text:
A few weeks back I decided to get the carbon fiber M performance spoiler installed on my 2016 M235i coupe. My dealer offered a competitive price for the spoiler so I decided to have them install it. That was a mistake that's been ongoing now for almost three weeks.

Install #1:
Spoiler was installed crooked front to back. Passenger side was 1/4'' farther back than the driver's side. This caused the spoiler to actually overhang the trunk lid. It looked terrible. I took the car back to the dealer the same day. They offer to remove / reinstall it next week (it was Friday) and offered a loaner for the weekend.

Install #2:
They removed the spoiler installed during install #1 and attempted to reapply it with fresh adhesive tape. They did a...less than satisfactory job. The fitment was perfect, front to back and side to side. But the spoiler was very loose. Most of the tape wasn't actually touching the trunk. I could lift the spoiler up from the back and actually read the labels on the bottom of it. That shouldn't be possible if its correctly attached. When washing the car water sprayed at the front of the spoiler easily ran under it and down the back of the trunk lid. I requested they reinstall with a brand new spoiler with the factory applied adhesive still in place. Car back at the dealer, over the weekend (again), another loaner provided.

Install #3:
This install was sent over to the body shop. I was told it was installed by the supervisor over there. When I got it back the tips of the spoiler were not stuck to the trunk at all. It looked really bad, about three inches on each side completely lifted off the trunk. It looked like something you'd get from Autozone. I was told it was normal because of how stiff the spoiler was and the curve of the trunk lid. I was then told the only way to fix it would be to epoxy it to the trunk, yikes, no thanks. I have to believe there's absolutely no way BMW would make a part that looks like this after its installed. I had to take the car home because I needed it that day. When I got there I found that the spoiler was just as loose as install #2. At this point I decided to really push it down onto the trunk. I mean, REALLY REALLY push down on it. Surprisingly, this worked. Everything firmed up and the tips were even nicely adhered (no epoxy required, go figure). I thought I was golden. Sadly, that lasted less than 24 hrs and the tips are starting to lift up again.

There is where I'm at now. The spoiler is still on the car and there's at least a 1/16'' gap at the tips that extends at least 2'' on the front edge of the spoiler and 1'' on the back edge. If you get down and look you can see that the tape in these areas is not touching the car at all. To be honest, at the moment, it doesn't look to terrible from 10 feet away. Come winter though I assume water is going to get trapped under here, freeze, then expand, and ultimately cause the spoiler to loosen or come off entirely. I know its not right and it's pissing me off. For $700 it should be damn near perfect.

The mirror caps weren't quite as bad. The passenger's side looks decent, no problems there. The original driver's side cap was misshapen, with a large gap between it and the turn signal in the mirror. This was replaced during spoiler install #3, but now the driver's side mirror whistles when I'm driving and makes a lot more wind noise than the original.

I'm at a loss at this point. Only three parts needed to be installed, two of those turned out to be wrong in some form or another, after multiple attempts. Not a good batting average. I've contacted my dealer and asked for a full refund on all parts and labor as well as the reinstallation of my factory pieces. I just want my car back the way it was before this sh*t show started. I'm waiting to hear back. My fear is that they'll botch up reinstalling the stock spoiler and this saga will continue for several more weeks, each time with my car spending several days at the dealer with plenty of opportunity for dents, dings, scratches and whatever else.

I'm curious, has anyone had their dealer install these parts with better results that I?

Last edited by orangeglim; 07-25-2017 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Wow that sucks. The mirrors in particular are almost impossible to fuck up. Before you go nuclear, I'd speak first with the service manager if you haven't already. Simply list what has happened, how much time you've invested driving back and forth etc, and ask him what he proposes as a reasonable solution. As I'm sure you know yelling and screaming will get you nowhere. My MPE was screwed up when installed and I just called the guy and said basically I understand shit happens, what should we do, and he went above and beyond to fix it.

As I see it you have two legitimate options here. First allow them one more shot with all new parts with the understanding that if you are not satisfied you will default to option 2. Option 2 which can be option 1 if you no longer trust them is to have them to reimburse you the cost of having the work redone elsewhere with new parts.

At the end of the day you paid a bunch of money and went through a lot of hassle to get a bullshit job done. They should understand that without having to be told.

Ideally they'd give you the parts for free at this point and you'd just pay the labor (which you already did with them) either there or someplace else to end up with what you wanted and paid for.

Lacking that get BMWNA involved they are very helpful with this sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Having been in a support/service role before I recognize losing my shit won't get me anywhere at all. I thought the email I sent this morning was controlled and explained the situation well. I'm still waiting to hear back. I really don't want to get BMW NA involved unless I absolutely have to. I still need to be able to go back to this dealer for warranty work for the next three years. I don't want to cause any friction, I just want the job done right.

If I decide to go with these parts again, I won't be having the dealer install them, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
Having been in a support/service role before I recognize losing my shit won't get me anywhere at all. I thought the email I sent this morning was controlled and explained the situation well. I'm still waiting to hear back. I really don't want to get BMW NA involved unless I absolutely have to. I still need to be able to go back to this dealer for warranty work for the next three years. I don't want to cause any friction, I just want the job done right.

If I decide to go with these parts again, I won't be having the dealer install them, that's for sure.
The one thing you have going for you is anyone with half a brain and not legally blind can easily see what's wrong with the job. Not like some electrical gremlin that only happens on a full moon in your garage and impossible to replicate at dealer.

See what they say and go from there. At the very least you should be able to get parts that you paid for, new and not fucked up, and take them where you want for the install. Refund you for the labor since that was obviously not done properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Heard back from the dealer. They're very apologetic and willing to do whatever I want to resolve the issue to my satisfaction. I'm opting to go back to the OEM parts, which will be done on August 8th. Hopefully the stock spoiler will prove easier for them to install. Maybe I'll try these parts later, after BMW has had an opportunity to refine the design and/or the installation directions.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 02:11 AM   #6
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

You really don't need to go to the dealer for things like this. Find any decent indie shop with an emphasis on cosmetics (wraps, detailing, etc) and they can install those on no problem, and likely cheaper.

I've had all my exterior stuff done with no problems at a few well reviewed indies (clear bra, roof wrap, side skirt decal, rear spoiler, grill swap, etc).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

do it yourself.

These 2 things are the most easiest to install. Paying someone is just being lazy.

Put some pride into your work, and be able to look back at it and say.... I did that!
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
do it yourself.

These 2 things are the most easiest to install. Paying someone is just being lazy.

Put some pride into your work, and be able to look back at it and say.... I did that!
I would agree for the mirror caps. The spoiler is not hard but there's nothing like an alignment clip, body lines to follow, etc. and is a bit more of an art. I can imagine certain folks just not being good at that sort of thing. Yes it's peel and stick but getting the damn thing on there perfect is definitely not idiot proof - as evidenced by dealer's failed attempts.

I'd tackle mirrors, grilles, front lip, diffuser, side skirts myself with less concern than the spoiler. I'd still do it, but would be more worried about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
I've thought about doing it myself, but it was just easier to have the dealer do it, or so I thought. They offer loaners for just about everything so I'm inclined to bring the car there so I don't have to deal with getting a ride. Now I'm thinking I may just ask them to remove the carbon fiber one and clean up the trunk lid and leave it that way. Then I can reinstall the stock one myself (I don't have a ton of confidence they can do it right), or, buy another carbon fiber one from some place else and have it installed. Still trying to decide what to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Wow, this was one of the easiest mods I did myself, took me about a hour in a dark underground garage with no heat gun. I wouldn't leave my baby at a dealership that can't do this simple install, just do it yourself.

Here's a video of a average guy doing it himself.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
The car is at the dealership today to have them remove all the carbon fiber they installed over a month ago now. I've given up on these parts. My only hope now is that they can reinstall the stock spoiler without screwing it up. I'll find out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #12
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Holy. Crap. Somehow they managed to completely cock up reinstallation of the stock spoiler. The trunk is now covered in scratches and the clear coat is covered in swirl marks. What a complete shit show. I'm beyond pissed. This surely can't be this hard. I'll be asking them to pay to have a real body shop clean up their mess and maybe I'll ask them to throw in the carbon fiber spoiler, at no charge, for my trouble.
Appreciate 0