THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Fake Engine Noise (Active Sound Design)?

02-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #45
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post

Anyway, it would seem that the M3/M4 also have the Active Sound System, contrary to your post.
To clarify, I didn't say the M3 and M4 don't have Active Sound. Only that they have a different implementation of Active Sound, where the actual engine noise is pumped through the speakers as opposed to all other Active Sound-equipped cars, where either a pre-recorded or synthetic engine noise is reproduced through the speakers.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #46
doo13sky
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M235ixDrive

Is "Fake Ngine noise" better with Harman Kardon? ....or same with HIFI speakers?

Last edited by doo13sky; 02-13-2014 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #47
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Well, I think if I have to pick something to worry about, it will be the compulsory "stop/start" feature included in new cars now. I know you can turn it off, but it's there adding some small amount of weight, and annoyance (in that I think it has to be deactivated each time you start the car). Can it be deleted out by the dealer? I doubt it, but others may know more.
      02-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #48
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Well, I think if I have to pick something to worry about, it will be the compulsory "stop/start" feature included in new cars now. I know you can turn it off, but it's there adding some small amount of weight, and annoyance (in that I think it has to be deactivated each time you start the car). Can it be deleted out by the dealer? I doubt it, but others may know more.
Pretty sure BMW still let's you permanently disable the feature if you ask the dealer to alter the code.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #49
secono330ci
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
You don't understand the point....

Who cares, if you need to hear the engine, you can always crack your window. Which is a more respectable audio approach, then using the speakers... which is not honest, or aurally correct.

Personally, I don't think the BMW brand is honest with their marketing, or their customers base any more. I don't think I am going to buy any more BMWs, because of this constant cheapening of the brand... for more sales.
CEO's are trying to fleece customers, to become #1.. that is all BMW cares about, not even the press reviews, or their own cars... all BMW stands for is #1 money maker. (Not #1 cars people want.)
No I get it, it's not "pure" and that's why so many people are against it. However, it's not exactly "fake" either.
Like I said before, there should be an on/off switch in the iDrive for it.
      02-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #50
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M sport

Wait? The engine sound you hear in the cabin is fake? It is amplified thru the speakers? What! How is this even possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #51
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

So I was wondering would people be ok with the sound symposer method instead of the active sound?

In other words would routing the engine sound with a tube up against the firewall be acceptable while routing it through your speakers not be?
      02-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #52
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Unfortunately most performance oriented cars are getting this "feature". The demands of buyers for no drone on the freeway and a performance sound in the cabin at the same time is tough to reach, especially when a lot of buyers don't have the same level of passion as the folks here.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #53
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
So I was wondering would people be ok with the sound symposer method instead of the active sound?

In other words would routing the engine sound with a tube up against the firewall be acceptable while routing it through your speakers not be?
That would be fine with me, because I am actually listening to the organic engine noise instead of a synthetic recreation of it. I still think its unnecessary--I hear the noise in my 1 series just fine and roll down the windows when I need to hear it more. But the sound symposer method would be a hell of a lot better than hearing it through the same things that I am trying to listen to my music from.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #54
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Its ok...people will start to accept this concept in a few years like they did with power steering
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #55
flyga3
Geboren zu Fahren!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Garage List
WAIT, now that I think more about it, could this be a great thing…maybe?

Whether active sound is "real" engine noise or not, why not have a factory option to pipe-in ANY BMW engine noise you wanted into the cabin (which of course follows direct engine RPM) so that you can basically have a 2er or 3er or any BMW model pipe-in M3/4, M5 or M6 sounds into the audio system? We pretty much drive daily with our windows up anyway, so why not? Think of the money saved if all you want is the M SOUND! (Yes handling and performance withstanding; yes its major FAKE, but would it sell more to the average non-enthusiast?)

The i3 and i8 guys would LOVE this sound-mode given their silent transportation.
2005 R53 MINI Cooper S (retired)
2002 E53 X5 3.0 (retired), 1999 E46 328i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #56
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like it. I don't need/want a loud exhaust if there isn't a performance gain. As long as I enjoy the exhaust inside the car (whether amplified through the speakers or not) that's all that matters. I don't really care what people outside of the car think.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #57
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
You know, the more I think about it, the more I like it. I don't need/want a loud exhaust if there isn't a performance gain. As long as I enjoy the exhaust inside the car (whether amplified through the speakers or not) that's all that matters. I don't really care what people outside of the car think.
yeah, at first I laughed at the idea of fake sound, made snide comments about how BMW has lost its ways from my E30 M3, and then ended up in the same spot as you. I don't want drone, and modern cars are pretty good out of the box so exhaust doesn't have the performance appeal for me it used to. I am fine with it. I am more annoyed by stuff like not being able to get PSS's on a 228 or not having a sunroof delete option for 235. Or not being able to get the M performance suspension from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #58
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I drove the M235i today, windows up and windows down for about 20 minutes (15 miles), highway and twisties. The exhaust sounds fantastic.. so I really don't care if it is ported into the speakers or not.. and that's coming from a guy with two M cars. Not even sure I would opt for the M performance exhaust.. the stock is that good.
      02-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #59
AndrewCowley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Liberty GT

Could you actually tell that sound was being piped into to speakers? I'd guess that unless it's VERY quiet your ears would be able to detect it coming from the speakers and then it would sound ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #60
JRMorgan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

With apologies to those who find this acceptable, the very thought of this caused me to puke. Might as well get a honda at this point. Not only does this offend any concept of a hi fidelity sound system if it is also tasked with piping in fake engine sounds, it also offends any concept of performance over fluff.

BMWs with all that M branding in the M-Sport optioned versions is one thing, but now there is "M" in the model name and a "M" badge on the side of the car. It's a great car, but such an embarrassment to be designed to target poseurs. Personally I don't really care what others think and I'd debadge the car but it's just sad if this is how BMW designs and markets cars supposedly targeting enthusiasts. It's become all about flash and badging and fake noises.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #61
Duster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G37

I think you'll see more and more of this in the future, to the point where it will seem like a very normal feature in a car.

Cars are getting better isolated/insulated, noise/vibration/harshness are being eliminated, to the point of some drivers complaining about the ride being sanitized. People have said that you lose the feeling of speed and fun if everything is too smooth.

As well, as engines get smaller, and more cars are hybrids and electric, drivers will start to miss a bit of engine noise. All car companies now have sound designers working on enhancing/creating sound for their electric vehicles, and this will be applied to conventional engine vehicles as well.

I agree it seems cheesy, but in 5 years it won't any more.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #62
JRMorgan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
I think you'll see more and more of this in the future, to the point where it will seem like a very normal feature in a car.

Cars are getting better isolated/insulated, noise/vibration/harshness are being eliminated, to the point of some drivers complaining about the ride being sanitized. People have said that you lose the feeling of speed and fun if everything is too smooth.

As well, as engines get smaller, and more cars are hybrids and electric, drivers will start to miss a bit of engine noise. All car companies now have sound designers working on enhancing/creating sound for their electric vehicles, and this will be applied to conventional engine vehicles as well.

I agree it seems cheesy, but in 5 years it won't any more.
Ok but should a performance vehicle have this? Leave alone an actual M car? This sort of thing is good for a hybrid. Even the muted hint of an insulated engine is better IMHO than sounds being piped in through the speakers.

And of all manufacturers BMW is spearheading this disturbing trend. I could see Subaru or Acura doing it but BMW? If they want to do it 5 years from now that's another thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #63
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

I tried to listen carefully today about the Active Sound Design in my M235i. It seems to be very present in "Sport Mode".

When you shift the speeds, the sound coming from the speakers is mostly bass to enhance the noise of the engine.

What's your experience so far? Any way to disable it?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #64
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyinko View Post
Any way to disable it?
Yes. It will require coding which shouldn't be too hard.

Take a look at this. It will probably be the same or very similar.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...56&postcount=5
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #65
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMorgan
With apologies to those who find this acceptable, the very thought of this caused me to puke. Might as well get a honda at this point. Not only does this offend any concept of a hi fidelity sound system if it is also tasked with piping in fake engine sounds, it also offends any concept of performance over fluff.

BMWs with all that M branding in the M-Sport optioned versions is one thing, but now there is "M" in the model name and a "M" badge on the side of the car. It's a great car, but such an embarrassment to be designed to target poseurs. Personally I don't really care what others think and I'd debadge the car but it's just sad if this is how BMW designs and markets cars supposedly targeting enthusiasts. It's become all about flash and badging and fake noises.
235i buyers are not posers. Why cant ppl accept that bmw is making "M performance" cars now?? I really dont understand all the butt hurt. Its not a real M car...its a M performance/M tuned car, they had Mtech/Msport for as long as I know (20 years)

We buy the car cuz its a fantastic drivers car (fun car) either we're enthusiast or not. I could care less about the M badges. Checkout all the data sheet comparos on the 235i vs other M cars...numbers talk

So why is bmw doing this, well alot of ppl complain about cars getting soft (due to smoother engines, better insulation, suspension, etc). It use to be tuning intake and exhaust piping but thats already maxed out so its now active sound.

Also M cars like the M6 have active sound
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #66
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMorgan View Post
It's become all about flash and badging and fake noises.
Clearly they are doing something right. They just announced record profits, an excellent sales forecast and their stocks are at all time highs. That's what will speak to them at the end of the day, not somebody being furious because of badges, labels and fake sound.
Appreciate 0