THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i instrumented tested by Car and Driver

10-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #67
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
I'm looking to replace my 128 next spring, and I was debating between the 230 and the 240. I've kind of been leaning towards the 240, and this kind of nudges me a little more in that direction. I don't plan to go to a track, but I do like to drive the back roads in my area. The 240 seems well-suited for that.

I would like that the interior not be tomb-like, so I am debating Coral Red, to go with Mineral White or Alpine White.
I got the Estoril with oyster vert. A real head turner. The blue is dazzling in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #68
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
There's a brake-in period now for these cars?

I don't remember that on mine. Only M motors had brake-in's.

Page 152 of the 2016 Owners Manual:

Breaking-in Period
General Information
Moving parts need time to adjust to one another (break-in time).
The following instructions will help accomplish a long vehicle life and good efficiency. During break-in, do not use the Launch Control, refer to page 74.

Engine, Transmission, and Axle Drive
Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Do not exceed the maximum engine and road speed:
▷ For gasoline engine 4,500 rpm and100 mph/160 km/h.
Avoid full load or kick-down under all circumstances.

From 1,200 miles/2,000 km
The engine and vehicle speed can gradually be
increased.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #69
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
interiors

@HeyMoe So here is my M235i in estoril blue and oyster, with replacement CF wing mirrors from AutoID. I would agree that at a distance, a black interior might look more attractive (especially with the black wheels), but after a funereal Audi black interior I can attest that for the occupants, some colour, especially in the winter, has its attractions.

Above has the wind protector across the back but flipped-down for the photo'

Oyster seats and black gloss trim:

You may note that I've re-sprayted the shift gaiter black - I thought it looked better than the slightly cheap-looking silver. You can also just see the edge of the luggage net - it's an inexpensive retro-fit but really useful storage (most BMW used to come with a footwell net as standard). And the BMW rechargeable torch is in the 12V plug in front of the cupholders (ditto BMWs used to come with one).

Last edited by msej449; 10-06-2016 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
PChem18.00
      10-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #70
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I'm still trying to choose between the M240 and 440 for my next car and this review did not make my decision any easier
I have driven both 435i and M235i, and I would choose the M240 hands down.

Coming from an E92 which I love, the 2 series feel more at home. IMO the 435i doesn't offer any advantage compared to the 235i. Practicality wise, looks wise, or performance wise.

Now with the M240 it's obvious that performance wise it is outshining the 4 series. Car and Driver's 5-60mph test is more realistic for everyday usage and a 5.2s time is extremely good. The 340i did it at 5.9s.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #71
unseen orko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i, Audi Q5

M240i

Hi Guys,

This is a cool forum and I was active few years when I was introduced to my E90 330i in 2006 that I had for 9yrs. Here I am again.

For the last 1yr, I have been drooling over the M3. After deciding this is the car I want, I finally got a chance to test drive one few weeks ago. To my surprise, I felt like this car was a bit much for my taste. It felt a bit jerky (DCT I guess), loud & noisy. I think it handled fine. I had the steering in Comfort and everything else Sport. Followed Chris Harris advice on steering

Anyway, it handled great but I didn't enjoy the car. It felt too serious and insanely fast, I don't know what it is, just didn't feel fun. Felt fast and sharp.

I tried the 340i (RWD) with M sport. I liked it, very nice car. I didn't love it. I am not a tracker but I drive fast and enjoy taking the curves at speed, appreciate the handling of a car, hate body rolls. As you can tell, I thoroughly enjoyed my E90 330i. Just loved that car. That was my first BMW, So I don't have anything prior to compare with but the steering in e90 felt connected and super accurate to me. Felt like the car was on rails. I didn't get that feeling in 340i but it was a nice car. Nicer than my e90 but not as sporty. Frankly, I was ok with going with 340i because it was overall a better car and better cabin.

Here comes the surprise... Just as I was about to get the paperwork done, my dealer had a beautiful M235i with all the aero kit upgrades. I just had to drive it. So I did.

First thing I felt/noticed before driving is the fact that the driver seat and everything wrapped around me. BMWs are supposed to do that...but the 340i didn't feel like it wrapped around me.. a bit big and things far away...felt like a nice car but not a sporty car.. Hard to put it in words, but even before I drove the M235i, the seat position and steering height and everything just felt right in place and ready to drive fast.

I started to drive. Immediately noticed how great the steering felt. Yes, I used the word 'great'. To me, it felt precise, good feel, and quick turn and just was a joy to use. I was maybe doing a 55mph on a ramp and pretty good curvy rood, as I was accelerating. I could feel the steering wheel translate a little bit of the road vibrations. I thought the electric steering was supposed to be completely devoid of that feel but this car proved me wrong. In fact, M3 didn't have that feel but this car did.

Next, the handling. It handled as good or maybe slightly better than my E90 330i. Very similar feel but one big difference was the ride was much smoother and nicer while the handling was as good as my 330i. To me, this is the combination I was looking for in a car. I don't need an M3, this car does it for me. In fact, I don't think I need an M2 either, maybe I will feel differently if I drive the M2 but for now, this M235 was an nice upgrade to 330i and felt like it gives me everything I am looking for in a car.

So, without driving, I ordered an M240i. Mineral Grey with M performance kit and Black interior. The wait is really annoying and the fact that I can't see status codes when I try to go to mybwm/ is not helping. I see it's listed for production but no status code. Any help appreciated guys.

I am not proof reading above, so excuse any typos and read past it
Appreciate 4
PChem18.00
tracerit139.00
      10-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #72
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
True but then you have to roll without a warranty.
Not to mention two more doors. Some of us hate, and have no use for, four doors. Even if I could afford one and it was the best performance bargain on the planet, I would not buy an M3 because of that.

Call me strange, but a four door is a deal breaker at that price point now that the M2 is around.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #73
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Page 152 of the 2016 Owners Manual:

Breaking-in Period
General Information
Moving parts need time to adjust to one another (break-in time).
The following instructions will help accomplish a long vehicle life and good efficiency. During break-in, do not use the Launch Control, refer to page 74.

Engine, Transmission, and Axle Drive
Up to 1,200 miles/2,000 km
Do not exceed the maximum engine and road speed:
▷ For gasoline engine 4,500 rpm and100 mph/160 km/h.
Avoid full load or kick-down under all circumstances.

From 1,200 miles/2,000 km
The engine and vehicle speed can gradually be
increased.
No change for 2017 M240i despite the change to the B58.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #74
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen orko View Post

So, without driving, I ordered an M240i. Mineral Grey with M performance kit and Black interior. The wait is really annoying and the fact that I can't see status codes when I try to go to mybwm/ is not helping. I see it's listed for production but no status code. Any help appreciated guys.
I love the Mineral Grey. It looks great with any carbon fiber you put on the car - I added cf mirror caps off the bat, that a tint job, and PPF.

Is the M performance kit for the M240i a port installed option? I don't see it on ShopBMWUSA.com.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #75
unseen orko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
I love the Mineral Grey. It looks great with any carbon fiber you put on the car - I added cf mirror caps off the bat, that a tint job, and PPF.

Is the M performance kit for the M240i a port installed option? I don't see it on ShopBMWUSA.com.
Yes. It is port installed. Cool config.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #76
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
@HeyMoe So here is my M235i in estoril blue and oyster, with replacement CF wing mirrors from AutoID. I would agree that at a distance, a black interior might look more attractive (especially with the black wheels), but after a funereal Audi black interior I can attest that for the occupants, some colour, especially in the winter, has its attractions.

Above has the wind protector across the back but flipped-down for the photo'

Oyster seats and black gloss trim:

You may note that I've re-sprayted the shift gaiter black - I thought it looked better than the slightly cheap-looking silver. You can also just see the edge of the luggage net - it's an inexpensive retro-fit but really useful storage (most BMW used to come with a footwell net as standard). And the BMW rechargeable torch is in the 12V plug in front of the cupholders (ditto BMWs used to come with one).
I have the 228ix in same color combo and wheels less CF mirrors. Forget the black, the oyster is a better choice, and its cooler in the summer. Great choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #77
unseen orko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post

Here is the package I got, it was just recently announced.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1299514
Appreciate 1
RotorOver295.50
      10-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #78
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Maybe I should get an M240i to drive for a couple years, it will be comfy, fun and will help me get closer to my goal of owning a GT3
      10-07-2016, 12:52 AM   #79
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen orko View Post
Hi Guys,

This is a cool forum and I was active few years when I was introduced to my E90 330i in 2006 that I had for 9yrs. Here I am again.

For the last 1yr, I have been drooling over the M3. After deciding this is the car I want, I finally got a chance to test drive one few weeks ago. To my surprise, I felt like this car was a bit much for my taste. It felt a bit jerky (DCT I guess), loud & noisy. I think it handled fine. I had the steering in Comfort and everything else Sport. Followed Chris Harris advice on steering

Anyway, it handled great but I didn't enjoy the car. It felt too serious and insanely fast, I don't know what it is, just didn't feel fun. Felt fast and sharp.

I tried the 340i (RWD) with M sport. I liked it, very nice car. I didn't love it. I am not a tracker but I drive fast and enjoy taking the curves at speed, appreciate the handling of a car, hate body rolls. As you can tell, I thoroughly enjoyed my E90 330i. Just loved that car. That was my first BMW, So I don't have anything prior to compare with but the steering in e90 felt connected and super accurate to me. Felt like the car was on rails. I didn't get that feeling in 340i but it was a nice car. Nicer than my e90 but not as sporty. Frankly, I was ok with going with 340i because it was overall a better car and better cabin.

Here comes the surprise... Just as I was about to get the paperwork done, my dealer had a beautiful M235i with all the aero kit upgrades. I just had to drive it. So I did.

First thing I felt/noticed before driving is the fact that the driver seat and everything wrapped around me. BMWs are supposed to do that...but the 340i didn't feel like it wrapped around me.. a bit big and things far away...felt like a nice car but not a sporty car.. Hard to put it in words, but even before I drove the M235i, the seat position and steering height and everything just felt right in place and ready to drive fast.

I started to drive. Immediately noticed how great the steering felt. Yes, I used the word 'great'. To me, it felt precise, good feel, and quick turn and just was a joy to use. I was maybe doing a 55mph on a ramp and pretty good curvy rood, as I was accelerating. I could feel the steering wheel translate a little bit of the road vibrations. I thought the electric steering was supposed to be completely devoid of that feel but this car proved me wrong. In fact, M3 didn't have that feel but this car did.

Next, the handling. It handled as good or maybe slightly better than my E90 330i. Very similar feel but one big difference was the ride was much smoother and nicer while the handling was as good as my 330i. To me, this is the combination I was looking for in a car. I don't need an M3, this car does it for me. In fact, I don't think I need an M2 either, maybe I will feel differently if I drive the M2 but for now, this M235 was an nice upgrade to 330i and felt like it gives me everything I am looking for in a car.

I am not proof reading above, so excuse any typos and read past it
That experience of being wrapped in the car is the feeling of driving a smaller car in general. I felt very much the same way. When I drove the new 340i, everything seemed distant.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #80
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Agreed. The way the car wraps around you is great. The size is perfect. The visibility is quite good. You can put it where you want in the lane, apex, etc. I'm 6' 2" with a 34" inseam and this is the only car I've ever had or driven where I can get the steering wheel, pedal, and seat height perfect. The seats are superb for daily driving, long trips, and fairly aggressive driving.

Though it's a small car, it still is roomy enough to transport four in decent comfort around town. My wife and my very tall-for-their-age 12 and 8 year olds a routinely with me and there are no complaints about space. Plus the rear seats fold flat which is huge plus.

Coming from a visually polarizing 2012 WRX hatchback, I'm constantly astounded by all the rubber necking looks, thumbs up, and positive comments from people regarding my bonestock M235 (Mineral White/red interior). I too love the high class, subtly aggressive looks.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #81
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Unless your brother owns the dealership or something like that, you ain't getting a new M2 for $51k.

A zero-option, Alpine White M2 starts at $52,695 with delivery fee. Add on metallic paint, the exec package and the DCT, you're at almost $58k. Maybe the M2 is a bargain at $58k. I'm not going to argue that it's not, as I haven't driven the car.

I totally get the theoretical argument that a stripper M2 is a better value than a loaded M235/M240. In practice, though, the real-world price of M2s for the typical buyer is going to be $10k or so higher than for M235/M240. The reality is that buyers of the latter are typically paying mid-to-high $40s while M2 buyers are paying mostly high $50s. If the M2 is this amazing bargain in the high $50s, the M240 must be the absolute deal of the century when its real-world price is $10K or so less.
Fair enough points...but my local dealer does have a couple listed for $54K and $56K.

With the M240, you kind of feel that "damn I can't believe I am paying $52K for a little 2-series." However, with the M2, you feel that "damn I am getting an ///M car for about the same price as a well-equipped 3-series or your run-of-the-mill 528 that everybody and their mother seems to be driving."
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #82
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

On a side note, does anybody else feel that the achilles heel of the 240 are those god-awful wheels? I feel BMW completely botched it with those, it would be an exponentially more attractive car with the right shoes.
Appreciate 1
FunRevn60.00
      10-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #83
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto
On a side note, does anybody else feel that the achilles heel of the 240 are those god-awful wheels? I feel BMW completely botched it with those, it would be an exponentially more attractive car with the right shoes.
Worst part of the car. Mine are coming off for good tomorrow with only 500 miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #84
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEOS View Post
Weird that they are calling it an "M car". Wouldn't really qualify it as a true M car like the M2 / M3 / etc.

Good review though, nice to read some feedback on the refreshed model.
I don't know. C/D seemed to refer to it as the M240i throughout their article, plus made it clear that it was separate model when comparing it to the M2.

And now that the M235i has been on the streets for ~2.5 years, I think just about everyone knows that it isn't an M car. Really old news.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #85
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

With the M240, you kind of feel that "damn I can't believe I am paying $52K for a little 2-series." However, with the M2, you feel that "damn I am getting an ///M car for about the same price as a well-equipped 3-series or your run-of-the-mill 528 that everybody and their mother seems to be driving."
Not really, that may be how you feel, but I wouldn't feel/think that at all. I'd be in the camp of damn I can't believe I paid $8k-$10k more for my M2 and they just made the M240i just as quick. Being that I'll never track the car, I just wouldn't appreciate the limits the m2 provides. Plus I like to tune cars matched with an AWD system that can use that power for my type of driving better.

To each there own. But, yeah I wouldn't want a 3 series over and M2 that's for sure.
      10-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #86
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Fair enough points...but my local dealer does have a couple listed for $54K and $56K.

Nope, I don't get that feeling at all. Though I only paid $43K for my $51K MSRP M235i. The added capabilities of the M2 are of little interest to me, and the downsides of a noisier, harsher car would annoy me thoroughly. With my car, I can put it in comfort, sit back and enjoy the ride.

They are two separate cars, for two different types of drivers. One is simply not intrinsically "better" than the other.

These days, you can pay $52K for a minivan or some dumb pickup truck, it simply isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      10-07-2016, 04:25 PM   #87
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
These days, you can pay $52K for a minivan or some dumb pickup truck, it simply isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things.
This. "Auto enthusiasts" are not limited to people like us who appreciate a fast small coupe. I mean, some of the high-line pickup trucks these days can cost as much as a Porsche -- and that's before mods.

Personally, I love the idea of the M240i being as propulsively quick as the M2. Remember: the M2 does not have adaptive suspension -- to me, that one difference defines the intended purposes of both cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #88
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Nope, I don't get that feeling at all. Though I only paid $43K for my $51K MSRP M235i. The added capabilities of the M2 are of little interest to me, and the downsides of a noisier, harsher car would annoy me thoroughly. With my car, I can put it in comfort, sit back and enjoy the ride.

They are two separate cars, for two different types of drivers. One is simply not intrinsically "better" than the other.

I understand where you are coming from completely. I should've precluded my statement by saying that is my own mentality. Don't get me wrong, the 240 is a great car and one of my favorite non-M BMWs.
Appreciate 0