THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Transmission release....

01-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Transmission release....

New 230i.... how do you release the transmission from Park with a dead battery or an activated IBS?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

I'm not sure about the 2er, but we ran into this problem after my wife's 2012 328i got rear ended with enough force to activate the battery cutout. The answer appeared to be "You don't". The tranny needs a running engine to shift. There's theoretically a way to do it from beneath the car with a socket wrench and long extension. But that's not realistic when stuck on the side of the freeway.

The tow truck operator got the car on and off the (flatbed) truck by bouncing the bed and winch controls so the tires skipped on the way up and down. The best way I can describe it was "dribbling" as in basketball. This was obviously not the first time he had done that.

Believe it or not, there was no transmission or other drive train damage. But we were pretty amazed at the design decisions that created this problem in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:12 AM   #3
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Electronically:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ock/1VnYMXs5sP

Mechanically:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ock/1VnYNh5mZF
Appreciate 4
harma24402.50
amw896582.50
cxp213313.00
      01-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Wow Omer, good info!
Appreciate 1
omera60194.50
      01-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
...The answer appeared to be "You don't". The tranny needs a running engine to shift......
It looks like a dolly under each rear wheel is necessary. I would probably go into high anxiety watching them bounce/skip my car up a flat bed.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
Electronically:....Mechanically:
Information appreciated. Does anyone know if using the jump start points under the hood allow the engine to be started and electricity distributed to the entire car with a blown IBS? The 'mechanical' method is a joke and only applicable to a dealer shop. My Jaguar has the same transmission and provides a lever attached to a cable under the hood that releases the parking pawl.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
Information appreciated. Does anyone know if using the jump start points under the hood allow the engine to be started and electricity distributed to the entire car with a blown IBS?
Using the underhood jump start point will distribute power for the vehicle electrical system however the engine will not start/crank because when the BST (Battery Safety Terminal) deploys it cuts power to the starter and alternator since those power cables are not fused. The BST will need to be replaced before the engine can be started.
Quote:
The 'mechanical' method is a joke and only applicable to a dealer shop.
Yep.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

That's good info. I wish we had known about the electronic method when my wife's car needed towing.

Quote:
It looks like a dolly under each rear wheel is necessary. I would probably go into high anxiety watching them bounce/skip my car up a flat bed.
No kidding. I didn't actually see it go on the truck, but I saw it coming off. I fully expected that insurance would have to replace the transmission, but it's been fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 05:48 AM   #9
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
You can start a car with activated IBS by simply putting a screw driver between the IBS cable and the battery head.

Last edited by omera60; 01-15-2018 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You can start a car with activated IBS by simply putting a screw driver between the IBS cable and the battery head.
Can you show a picture please and mark where it will separate? I see plastic covers over the + connections now.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 09:55 PM   #11
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:50 AM   #12
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can you show a picture please and mark where it will separate? I see plastic covers over the + connections now.
I'll see what I can arrange
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:52 AM   #13
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
So, unfortunately I don’t have any car at my disposal which currently has an activated IBS and since there is no going back on that I cannot show you the exact steps before I destroy someone else’s. However, in the attached picture that I took you can see the cover is riveted to the battery head, you need to break those pins in order to remove that side so you can access the IBS. When the IBS cable is being replaced they are going to do this no matter what so it shouldn’t be a problem. After removing the cover you’ll see the are that IBS as opened in between the battery and itself, this is where you should put the screw driver in. In some rare cases you can start by just jump starting it using the heads under the bonnet as well. If you want you can try this first and then move on to the screw driver level. If you want guidance I can help you after removing the cover, just upload pictures for every step and I’ll do my best explain it to you.
Attached Images

Last edited by omera60; 01-17-2018 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #14
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So, unfortunately I don’t have any car at my disposal which currently has an activated IBS.... the cover is riveted to the battery head, you need to break those pins in order to remove that side so you can access the IBS......
Understandable. Doesn't look easy to do without the proper tools so I doubt it will happen in an emergency situation.

Quote:
... In some rare cases you can start by just jump starting it using the heads under the bonnet as well.....
I wish I had a wiring diagram that includes the jump start connection. As far as I know the jump start + connection is a direct connection to the battery. No? I don't see why it wouldn't always work unless wiring was broken elsewhere but I'm not trained on the BMW S2.

Quote:
... If you want guidance I can help you after removing the cover, just upload pictures for every step and I’ll do my best explain it to you.
I don't need to do it now and I hope I never have to I just want to be prepared if/when the situation occurs and I check this out on all my new cars. I appreciate your help with this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0