THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Why Did You Choose the 2 Series?

01-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #67
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
Just curious, as someone who is considering a 2 as a DD, what is it that you find uncomfortable? Noise, ride, seats?
I find my m235i very comfortable for longer trips, especially by myself or with one passenger. I have made several 400+ mile / 6+ hour trips in the year that I have owned my car. My wife prefers our Q5 and there is no doubt it's good for long distance cruising, but I don't particularly find one more comfortable than the other. The smallish gas tank is an issue, but at least it requires you to stop periodically to get out and walk around a bit, which isn't the worst thing in the world.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #68
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Just curious, as someone who is considering a 2 as a DD, what is it that you find uncomfortable? Noise, ride, seats?
i commute 100 miles round-trip on the DC beltway at least 4x per week and i LOVE my 228xi as a daily driver...overall the best i've had in 18 years of commuting in this region.

it's incredibly comfortable -- especially the upgraded sport seats which were my #1 priority when i was shopping CPO vehicles. road noise is virtually zero. the DC beltway is a disaster as far as road quality and i dont find the ride of the 228xi to be too harsh, and mine is equipped with run-flats because i dont want to have to deal with stopping on the should of the beltway. sure, i occasionally find a pothole or expansion joint that i hit flushly...and that's not fun, but overall this car has made my commute "enjoyable".

as mentioned above, my only "NEED" is another 2-2.5 gallons in fuel capacity so that i could go 4 full days between fill-ups. i'm also upgrading speakers on the basic hi-fi system...but that's more of a "want" and fairly minor all things considered.

BTW, i cross-shopped against a 328d and a 428xi. before the test drives, i would have bet a car payment that i was going to pick the 4-series based purely on the comfort factor. the 228 just ended up feeling so much better all the way around. i'm just shy of 6'2" and i have yet to feel cramped in the 228...fits me like a glove.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line

Last edited by happyjack; 01-17-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #69
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
The noise doesn’t bother me. I have a convertible after all. The ride is a little firmer then I’m used to. Perhaps the RF tires have something to do with that. I don’t have any back problems. We just drove 1200 miles in our MDX. No problems. I have never had a back issue. An hour or so in the 2 and my back starts to hurt. Never before. I find myself adjusting the seat constantly. I’m not normally a seat adjuster.
Do a long test drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #70
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
The car is fun to drive but, I’m not finding it too comfortable on long trips.
I'm curious about the same thing. My M240i seems ideal (brilliant, actually) for road trips; I really like its seats, cabin comfort, road manners, visibility, etc., etc. It's hard for me to imagine any related complaints of much significance.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:00 AM   #71
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

Back in 2015 walked out the movie “fast and the furious” (it was probably the 7th installment) thinking I want a new car and a fun car. Growing up as a kid always wanted a BMW, particularly the 3 series coupe but they stopped making a 3 coupe so the next logical option was the 228.

Also having recently graduated college wanted to “treat myself” yet only had the funds to keep it at a reasonably priced car.

Last edited by yeezy; 01-18-2018 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #72
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i xDrive MG

Been on a couple of half day drives and I have no complaints. It's as quiet as my F30 328 was. Ride compliance is fine - better than my old E90. Seating position and comfort are comparable to both - yes it's smaller inside but from the driver's seat total passenger volume doesn't make a difference.

Getting in and out is the only area with any compromise - it's low and the doors are wide, but hey, I'd be driving an SUV if that really mattered.
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #73
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I'm 74 and get out fine. Get a cane tool which latches into the latch hook and pull yourself right up. It also has a window breaker and seat belt cutter. My old neighbor has one.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #74
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I'm 74 and get out fine. Get a cane tool which latches into the latch hook and pull yourself right up. It also has a window breaker and seat belt cutter. My old neighbor has one.
Just ordered a car cane for Dad. Had no idea something like that even existed. Thanks for th idea!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #75
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
We have an M235i Convertibe and drive the 800Kms/500ml from the UK down to the Alps 3-4 times a year almost all on Autoroutes (Freeways). I was apprehensive about this when I got the car as my previous was a 330d Touring, but it's fine. I'm 64 and have back problems, but not driving this car (unlike my Audi A3 which was not good at all).

I do have the sports electric seats with lumbar support and heated - I think these make a big difference.

EcoPro is useful on these long drives as I can freewheel down long hills - I get about 50 UK miles extra out of a tank in EcoPro mode. But yes, I'd agree that the relatively small tank is a nuisance.

If I'm on longer trips, I carry a small 'Explo-safe' 5L petrol can in the boot (trunk) - these are metal with an internal honeycomb that prevents spark ignition if crushed (this is a 20L one but is cut-away to show the internals)

01-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #76
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

I don't know why you would call the 2 series uncomfortable, as far as I am aware, its the same sport seat that's in the 3 series isn't it? The only difference is rear seat in this instance. But if you throw the M235/M240 in comfort mode, its pretty nice and relaxed (a bit too relaxed for me).

My biggest gripe is really the range, BUT this is not as big of a problem on highway trips. I was able to squeeze out a good 320miles or maybe a bit more last year. My problem is just overcoming the urge to drive like a maniac.
      01-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #77
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

It's blue, 6 cylinders, rear wheel drive, manual transmission, 4 seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #78
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
I don't know why you would call the 2 series uncomfortable, as far as I am aware, its the same sport seat that's in the 3 series isn't it? The only difference is rear seat in this instance. But if you throw the M235/M240 in comfort mode, its pretty nice and relaxed (a bit too relaxed for me).

My biggest gripe is really the range, BUT this is not as big of a problem on highway trips. I was able to squeeze out a good 320miles or maybe a bit more last year. My problem is just overcoming the urge to drive like a maniac.
I can only tell you my experience. I have the sport seats. It’s not my age because I have taken trips in our other car and had no problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #79
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

just placed my order on an 18 m240i xdrive
i have been searching for a replacement for my 16 cayman s for quite a while now and have test driven over 12 potential replacements
the 240i won me over with its
b58, so strong smooth and torquey with very minimal lag
compactness and visibility
responsive zf 8 transmission

the only car i enjoyed driving more was the f type r but it lost out on practicality, size, visibility and reliability

i enjoyed the m2 as well but preferred b58 over the n55 and the m240 rides much better
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #80
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
just placed my order on an 18 m240i xdrive
i have been searching for a replacement for my 16 cayman s for quite a while now and have test driven over 12 potential replacements
the 240i won me over with its
b58, so strong smooth and torquey with very minimal lag
compactness and visibility
responsive zf 8 transmission

the only car i enjoyed driving more was the f type r but it lost out on practicality, size, visibility and reliability

i enjoyed the m2 as well but preferred b58 over the n55 and the m240 rides much better
Excellent, now you just have to wait............

I know you've posted in a few other threads, but I don't recall if you explained why you decided to move on from the Cayman S. For many of us with BMW 2 Series cars, the Cayman / Boxster is an aspiration vehicle and some folks have actually left the 2 Series fold for a Cayman / Boxster. Inquiring minds want to know. Not only did you move on from a Cayman, but a 2016 Cayman S - the last Cayman with the naturally aspirated flat 6 - a grail engine.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #81
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
Excellent, now you just have to wait............

I know you've posted in a few other threads, but I don't recall if you explained why you decided to move on from the Cayman S. For many of us with BMW 2 Series cars, the Cayman / Boxster is an aspiration vehicle and some folks have actually left the 2 Series fold for a Cayman / Boxster. Inquiring minds want to know. Not only did you move on from a Cayman, but a 2016 Cayman S - the last Cayman with the naturally aspirated flat 6 - a grail engine.
the move was due to a couple things

bored with the 981CS...ive had one for almost 5 years now (had a 2014 before)
i loved the car more than other I have had but the experience has normalized for me...i nèed a change..the lack of low end torque, harsh ride annoy me now

needed a car the GF could also drive that offered more practicality

hopefully one day i will be back in a manual 2 seater...maybe the new supra...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 12:53 AM   #82
senpaizhang
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Estoril Blue 228i 6MT

My story with the 2 series

Long story ahead (also this is my first time using a forum, damn millennials!)

My family started looking for a second car (mainly for me) after I got my license. I'm pretty sure my mom just wanted to be driven around by her son after driving him for all of his life LOL

They didn't have too much criteria themselves other than a budget. I originally wanted something older, cheaper and more sensible like a E46 330i but they said no because they don't trust old cars (typical Asian parents! what can I do?)

These were my own criteria:

Gets good mileage as I will primarily use the vehicle for school and work
Decent powertrain and firm handling
Relatively reliable
Good looks and comfortable interior

I never really considered any of the newer cars youth these days looks into - Civic Si, BRZ/FRS, STI, Focus ST, Mustang and etc, since they are all over the streets carelessly racing each other from one light to another, I am different than those "kids".

I test drove a MK7 DSG GTI and was pretty set on that, but when I walked into the BMW dealership next door... I never fell in love with a bunch of plastic and metal so quick.

I was dead set that a 228i would just be the perfect car for me, it's rear wheel drive, got reasonable power, can comfortably sit 4 (I'm 6' and I fit in the back just fine), and the trunk is more than enough for groceries!

Here's the catch, the stealership doesn't have any pre owned 228i! And they were trying to sell us a new 230i xDrive which is like almost 60K Canadian including taxes and everything... So that means we gotta go around and shop for used ones.

I don't know what kinda BS luck I've got, but around that time a friend of mine just happened to be selling his 2014 Estoril Blue 228i RWD 6MT because he needed money for school. The car got the Track Handling Package and Premium Package Enhanced. He also put some nice touches on it such as black grilles and a carbon fibre rear spoiler - much cooler than the ones at the stealerships!

A few days later I found myself test driving this car in the driver's seat, driving a manual car on the road for the first time in my life, it was a super nerve wracking experience and I'm pretty sure my friend had more faith in me than I do myself! But I got quickly used to - and addicted to rowing gears on my own. All those times begging my friends to let me drive their cars in parking lots finally paid off!

We took delivery of the car on July 10th, 2017, after almost a month of car shopping I'm glad that it came to an end! My friend was glad knowing that this car will go to someone that's going to take care of it like he did

I pay for my own gas, maintenance and insurance and I have put on almost 12k kms on the car since, zero problems and it's great in the harsh Canadian winter! Words can't express how grateful I am for the most badass first car a kid can ever dream of!

Follow my IG: instagram.com/blau228i
      02-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #83
shadowfax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensanford View Post
My wife & I were looking to replace our 2003 Acura RSX Type-S. I wanted a toy car like a Miata, but after driving one - it was just too small and hard to get into. I liked the Boxster and Cayman, but too costly and probably not that practical, and my wife didn't like them either. We wanted something small but also with good performance and test drove a number of cars, but couldn't reach a joint agreement. Then a high rating in Consumer Reports prompted us to check out the 2 series, and it was the first car that we both could agree on. Seats were comfortable that the interior was quiet. We looked at the 4 series hard-top convertible but the loss of trunk space made that one drop out of consideration.

The dealer stock of 230's and 240's was almost all automatics, mostly x-drive, and most with black interiors - so we placed the order for our 2018 in July, and picked it up in October. Very happy with it, but with the current summer tires, probably won't be driving it much until the spring. It's my first German car since several Porsche 914's years ago - which were really fun cars at the time.
Consumer Reports was the initial factor in my choosing a 2-series as well.
Appreciate 1
1FUNCAR20.50
      02-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #84
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

my stage2 turbo fbo 335 and race prepped e36 got flooded and destroyed in Hurricane Sandy, I got into a range rover sport GT and missed being able to go to track days, couldn't wait for the m2, so went with a 235 instead. Will be in this till the csl m2 is released in 2019.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #85
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
My criteria was:

- New
- Manual transmission
- 50/50 weight distribution
- RWD
- Minimal tech
- Fairly reliable
- Fun to drive
- Back seat (nice to have)

Initially, the only cars that fit my needs were the BFRSZ twins, the Miata, and the 370Z. I'm not really a big fan of the Mustang / Camaro (see too many of those around here), although those cars are keeping elements true to the spirit of petrolheads.

At some point, the wife encouraged me to get something slightly upscale (since we already have 2 Subarus), and I remembered the M235i. My brother's friend bought a 2014 model, and raved about it for years, so I started researching it. Consumer Reports rated highly of it, and after some research and watching dozens of YouTube videos of the 2er, there was no turning back.
Appreciate 1
1FUNCAR20.50
      04-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #86
1FUNCAR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Coupe

Why a 2 Series?

My wife and I are buying a 2018 M240 Coupe (in the build process now) as an early retirement gift to each other. We're stepping-up from a 2002 Miata that we've owned for 15 years and loved dearly. It handled like a go-kart on steroids and was loads of fun. I've always wanted an @ss-kicking sports car so we started looking at the Challenger and Camaro, but V8's with automatic transmission (my wife was growing tired of the stick). The Challenger was a blast and the throaty exhaust growl was a pure delight but Chrysler products tend to come up low in reliability. Having owned three, one had an electrical fire at 16k miles, another had windows fogging on the inside which no one could figure out, etc., we lost our zeal for the Challenger. The Camaro was drop-dead gorgeous but, sigh, another American car with so-so reliability. We considered another Miata but wanted something faster and a wee bit bigger. We considered a BRZ that was very nice looking but not much faster than the Miata and only a pinch larger. Everything seemed to have at least one fatal flaw until... I was reading the Consumer Reports annual car issue and stumbled on to the 2 Series. High quality. Fast. Great brand reputation. And surprisingly price competitive to the Camaro/Challenger when factoring in my supplier discount. And the rest, I hope, is going to be many happy years and miles in the M240. Sorry for being so long-winded.
Appreciate 1
Miata1387.00
      04-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #87
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNCAR View Post
My wife and I are buying a 2018 M240 Coupe (in the build process now) as an early retirement gift to each other. We're stepping-up from a 2002 Miata that we've owned for 15 years and loved dearly. It handled like a go-kart on steroids and was loads of fun. I've always wanted an @ss-kicking sports car so we started looking at the Challenger and Camaro, but V8's with automatic transmission (my wife was growing tired of the stick). The Challenger was a blast and the throaty exhaust growl was a pure delight but Chrysler products tend to come up low in reliability. Having owned three, one had an electrical fire at 16k miles, another had windows fogging on the inside which no one could figure out, etc., we lost our zeal for the Challenger. The Camaro was drop-dead gorgeous but, sigh, another American car with so-so reliability. We considered another Miata but wanted something faster and a wee bit bigger. We considered a BRZ that was very nice looking but not much faster than the Miata and only a pinch larger. Everything seemed to have at least one fatal flaw until... I was reading the Consumer Reports annual car issue and stumbled on to the 2 Series. High quality. Fast. Great brand reputation. And surprisingly price competitive to the Camaro/Challenger when factoring in my supplier discount. And the rest, I hope, is going to be many happy years and miles in the M240. Sorry for being so long-winded.
Congrats on your 2 series choice! I'm leaning in that direction too...after having enjoyed back to back Miatas ('99 Sport 5sp & '08 PRHT 6sp) and now driving a MINI Roadster S. I recently checked out the ND Miata....very confining inside, no glove box and even smaller (than the NC) trunk. I suspect you'll really enjoy the 2 series!
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 1
1FUNCAR20.50
      04-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #88
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

Through college I always wanted a 1 series it was years after college when I was 32 that I felt I was in a good position to get one. At the point it had become a 2 series and I had been watching the news on it since before it came out.

I test drove very few cars since I pretty much was set on the 235.

Absolutely no regrets. I could nitpick on some small things like lack of oil temp but all in all I love it.
Appreciate 0