THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Car arrived at my dealer today...with scratches. What can I do?

11-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #23
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
All's well that ends well.
Except the dealer will likely repair it anyways and pass it on to a new buyer with no notice of the damages.

Glad the OP found a better car, just worried about the next buyer ...
      11-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #24
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife View Post
Ask them to colour code the side reflectors while they are at it ;-)
LOL!
My exact thoughts. Let them paint it to factory standards. Tag the reflectors and buy a rear diffuser & have them spray that as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #25
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

There are body shops out there that are really, really, really good. There is one in Salt Lake City called Alpine that I would trust to paint higher quality than factory, every time. Nothing but the absolute best and they never cut any corners whatsoever. But it's few and far between. Still really annoying on a brand new car.
      11-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #26
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Turns out the located vehicle was already sold. Gotta order another one now. Here goes another 6-8 weeks...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #27
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24
Turns out the located vehicle was already sold. Gotta order another one now. Here goes another 6-8 weeks...
Sorry to hear that!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #28
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

UPDATE ON MY STORY:

To some it up in one sentence...I can't catch a break.

I ended up starting from scratch and ordering a new M235i. Production completed mid-Jan and was at the port 1/26. It was never assigned a boat which I found to be very weird, since it was taking so long. Well...turns out the vehicle was now DAMAGED IN GERMANY. Now we have to start from scratch again with my vehicle being listed as a "High Priority" and will "move in front of production line." The waiting begins...again.

When it rains it pours, guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #29
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
UPDATE ON MY STORY:

To some it up in one sentence...I can't catch a break.

I ended up starting from scratch and ordering a new M235i. Production completed mid-Jan and was at the port 1/26. It was never assigned a boat which I found to be very weird, since it was taking so long. Well...turns out the vehicle was now DAMAGED IN GERMANY. Now we have to start from scratch again with my vehicle being listed as a "High Priority" and will "move in front of production line." The waiting begins...again.

When it rains it pours, guys.
Every ordering system/assembly plant I worked with has internal codes for "Special Handling". We used to see these for company cars for VPs and up. Given the info you shared, I anticipate the next one will be a jewel.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #30
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
This should have been fixed at the vehicle delivery center if it happened aboard a ship. Maybe it happened on the truck or at the dealership. Either way, it's no big deal. Have them repair it. Stuff like this happens on the boat and nobody ever knows.
Jesus how can they miss this, it's a black scratch on a white car. Doesn't get any easier to noticed than this.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #31
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

We talk about our cars being new and "flawless" and "perfect" but none of us know if the car we're driving arrived at the dealer in flawless condition. They could have been damaged on the ship or on the truck and reparied without our ever knowing that anything happened. In fact, it's a dead certainty that some of us are driving cars that we think were flawless, but in fact were repaired before we picked them up. At least the OP's dealer was honest enough to inform him of the damage and give him some options. You know that whoever bought that car after it was repaired thought they were getting a "flawlwss" car too. I feel badly for the OP who has had to endure this long wait for his car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #32
jwr0721
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright
It is likely your dealership will not match the paint as precisely as factory does (I know that the bodyshop didn't match my jetblack bumper accurately). Part of it is because bumper is plastic which requires elastic agents to be added thus changing paint composition. The dealership will probably go with low to average quality bodyshop because they are all about maximizing profits. And they will hope they can get away with it. It is up to you if you accept it or not. Most people don't care about slight discoloration. Some people want to take a look under many different light conditions to make sure the job equals factory quality. I don't know which person you are. In any case I hope you will have better luck than I did with the entire process especially considering it is a brand new car which should be flawless.
Not trying to be a jackass, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

It's a brand new BMW at a BMW dealership. They will take it to a certified BMW repair shop and match the paint perfectly.

That's what they did with mine.

No BMW dealership is going to take a brand new M235 to a sub-par, cute rate body shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #33
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

Damage prior to Sale

I purchased a new Miata a few years ago and found out that it had been painted when I traded it in on my 128i. The BMW Used Car Manager had a device that tested the thickness of the paint and was able to determine it was different on the fender than other parts of the car.

So for all of you who are paranoid, you can ask them to test the critical portions of the car to make sure it is all original and only original factory paint. Have fun with that one!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #34
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck1 View Post
We talk about our cars being new and "flawless" and "perfect" but none of us know if the car we're driving arrived at the dealer in flawless condition. They could have been damaged on the ship or on the truck and reparied without our ever knowing that anything happened. In fact, it's a dead certainty that some of us are driving cars that we think were flawless, but in fact were repaired before we picked them up. At least the OP's dealer was honest enough to inform him of the damage and give him some options. You know that whoever bought that car after it was repaired thought they were getting a "flawlwss" car too. I feel badly for the OP who has had to endure this long wait for his car.
I have an "understanding" with my dealer, that I will be onsite whenever my new cars arrive at the dealer. I inspect it as it gets off the truck with all the transport protection still on it and I do the pre delivery detail myself. I rejected a X5 once that was covered inside and out with some kind of sticky substance spots that I'm sure another customer would've got after a lot of rectification work. Tracking the shipment to port unloading and getting a priority clearance to the dealer doesn't give them enough time to hide anything before I get to see it myself.
      02-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #35
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff View Post
I have an "understanding" with my dealer, that I will be onsite whenever my new cars arrive at the dealer. I inspect it as it gets off the truck with all the transport protection still on it and I do the pre delivery detail myself. I rejected a X5 once that was covered inside and out with some kind of sticky substance spots that I'm sure another customer would've got after a lot of rectification work. Tracking the shipment to port unloading and getting a priority clearance to the dealer doesn't give them enough time to hide anything before I get to see it myself.
While it certainly doesn't happen to every car it's not all that unusual for a car to be damaged either on the shipment to the port in Germany or on the ship. These repairs are done at the port in the U.S. You wouldn't necessarily know about those repairs.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #36
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

check this out:

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #37
bimmer4life24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am honestly considering holding out for the M2. My plan was to have the M235i till next spring and trade it in for the M2. The window is getting smaller and smaller between now and next spring.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #38
BartM3
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24
I am honestly considering holding out for the M2. My plan was to have the M235i till next spring and trade it in for the M2. The window is getting smaller and smaller between now and next spring.
That sounds like a great plan!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #39
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff View Post
You rejected a car for having residual spots of what I assume was cosmoline? You know EVERY car exported via sea is covered in this stuff to prevent salt water damage? Every car has it and is power washed to remove it after it rolls off the ship.
      02-18-2015, 01:39 AM   #40
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You rejected a car for having residual spots of what I assume was cosmoline? You know EVERY car exported via sea is covered in this stuff to prevent salt water damage? Every car has it and is power washed to remove it after it rolls off the ship.
This is true and if you bought your car in the winter, just wait for the first really hot day of Spring and you will find out what cosmoline is all about.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 02:10 AM   #41
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

Quote:
It wasn't that stuff, completely different. It didn't come off easily or at all mostly and note that I said inside the car too. Power washing did nothing.

I've had over 10 new BMWs and never seen this stuff on the others.
      03-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #42
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

Good move, best thing you did to not buy the car! The paint will never be like the factory paint when resprayed. Much less if the paint is even the right color "talking shades". These paint shops put out so much crap. Even the good ones. If they say they do good work don't believe it, it comes down to the worker. The shop can be good as operations but the human is involved. IF YOUR SOME BODY SPECIAL OR YOU ARE FRIENDS OF THE WORKER/PAINTER you can get a very good paint job. Its just that way.
      03-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #43
TourStageFan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 535iX M-Sport, CaymanS, %E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4life24 View Post
Thanks for all the input, guys.

I just came back from the dealer. There were even more scratches on the driver door and at that point I was like I cannot take this home. The scratches were real deep on the bumper and was not comfortable with any repairs to be made. The dealer gave me the option to have them fix it or order a new one. This made me feel comfortable with the dealer as far as trust goes. I'm glad they called me and even told me there was damage to begin with.

What I ended up doing was locating one on the east coast that had a few more options than mine and got it. Will hear from the dealer tomorrow to see if everything is good.

Thanks again, everyone.
Glad to hear that the dealer fully disclosed the problem and that the end result was a satisfactory one.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #44
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck1
Quote:
This is true and if you bought your car in the winter, just wait for the first really hot day of Spring and you will find out what cosmoline is all about.
You got me very curious! Can you elaborate on this? What would I see in the spring if I bought my car in the winter?!