THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 235 - half the colors of 228?!

03-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
235 - half the colors of 228?!

I ordered a 235 last week (red on white), and I was very surprised to learn that it is only available in 7 different colors, whereas a 228 comes in 13 different colors! Brown metallic, midnight blue, jet black, and most importantly orange are not available on the higher model. Whats up with that?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
I ordered a 235 last week (red on white), and I was very surprised to learn that it is only available in 7 different colors, whereas a 228 comes in 13 different colors! Brown metallic, midnight blue, jet black, and most importantly orange are not available on the higher model. Whats up with that?
We've been chewing on this topic in another thread, "Orange is the new black". Short version....it's about the final assembly plant. 2 Series is a lower end vehicle overall for BMW and 235 has less volume than the lower models within the 2 family, so it gets fewer available colors in manufacturing. If the demand is equally distributed, hypothetically, each gets about 14% and with a lower volume, that is about as low as one can go and paint efficiently. Once a color gets below 10%, paint waste (comes in 50 gallon drums) usually leads to discuss dropping it from the plant. Meanwhile, with the colors offered, it seems BMW is selling all the 235 versions it can within the overall mix. There had been a Brembo brake component shortage last year, constraining volume, so we will see how it goes next year. If demand wanes, they may try to open up another paint color if they think that will help spur sales.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
We've been chewing on this topic in another thread, "Orange is the new black". Short version....it's about the final assembly plant. 2 Series is a lower end vehicle overall for BMW and 235 has less volume than the lower models within the 2 family, so it gets fewer available colors in manufacturing. If the demand is equally distributed, hypothetically, each gets about 14% and with a lower volume, that is about as low as one can go and paint efficiently. Once a color gets below 10%, paint waste (comes in 50 gallon drums) usually leads to discuss dropping it from the plant. Meanwhile, with the colors offered, it seems BMW is selling all the 235 versions it can within the overall mix. There had been a Brembo brake component shortage last year, constraining volume, so we will see how it goes next year. If demand wanes, they may try to open up another paint color if they think that will help spur sales.
I wanted to 235 so bad, but my dealer said they are pretty rare and in high demand, so I had to order one wait for 8 weeks (and it's only been one week!).

Overall I'm satisfied with my color choice - red interior with white exterior. Originally I was also considering red on red or black on red - but my wife and daughter made way too much fun of me and the whole "midlife crisis" that I had to scrap that idea and go with white. But had it been available in orange, I'd certainly go with that!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

+1. That's as good an answer as I have seen as to why the M235i is offered in such restrictive color selections.

Production runs dictates color selection and availability. As an example, a recent color problem in the M3 production has also limited the number of Sakhir Orange Metallic.
      03-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

I believe that if you choose the M-sport option, you are limited to the same colors as the M235i...
      03-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
If that 10% holds true, I can't see them continuing the brown. I doubt there's even 1% of those out there. Frankly, even the VO is a low volume color but I suppose that if that is in the 5-10% range of 228s, they would probably keep it merely because it is sort of a legacy color.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
If that 10% holds true, I can't see them continuing the brown. I doubt there's even 1% of those out there. Frankly, even the VO is a low volume color but I suppose that if that is in the 5-10% range of 228s, they would probably keep it merely because it is sort of a legacy color.
Need to consider the full plant for the efficiency of the color mix. With all the vehicles they source there for worldwide distribution, brown may be supported by non-US, non-2 Series primarily. Don't know the data, but this could be the background. VO gets volume support from both X1 and i3 at Leipzig. The concern is enough throughput for the 50 gallon drums to be utilized. Low running paint has to go through special additional mixing to keep it "fresh", which is costly and also adds to production cost.
Appreciate 1