THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M235 Exhaust sound options and questions.

03-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
spencer29
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

M235 Exhaust sound options and questions.

I have a 2015 M235 living in Los Angeles. I want to make my car louder but not spend to much. The car is a lease so I have to return it the way it came. I have been thinking about doing a muffler delete and putting on a custom made Y pipe from a local muffler shop. Has anyone done this that can give me tips and what it was like when they returned the car.

Also if you live in Los Angeles (Beverly Hills, Hollywood, North Hollywood, or studio city) and can recommend a good place to get some exhaust work done please do.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I've heard of people doing resonator deletes for around $150. I think muffler delete is just obnoxious, but that's just my opinion. You might want to post up in the regional forum for recs on a good socal shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Since the car is on lease, there is always a chance for the BMW dealership to check the exhaust upon return and notice the wields

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer29 View Post
I have a 2015 M235 living in Los Angeles. I want to make my car louder but not spend to much. The car is a lease so I have to return it the way it came. I have been thinking about doing a muffler delete and putting on a custom made Y pipe from a local muffler shop. Has anyone done this that can give me tips and what it was like when they returned the car.

Also if you live in Los Angeles (Beverly Hills, Hollywood, North Hollywood, or studio city) and can recommend a good place to get some exhaust work done please do.
I would buy a Dinan midpipe (it removes the resonator). Cheap and efective solution:

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d6...ries&mid=1183/
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
JP's M2xx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i x drive conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post
I would buy a Dinan midpipe (it removes the resonator). Cheap and efective solution:

my guess is this won't work on a F23 x-drive, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:

My recommendation is actually to get a new downpipe - especially our Sport Cat Downpipe. Easy swap in and out for your lease and you shouldn't have any issues in regards to the dealership/warranty (I get my car serviced all the time with our Sport Cat on there - no issues).

Not only will the Sport Cat provide some good power gains but you will also get that mild increase in the exhaust sound while being CEL-free.

Check your PMs, I'd love to chat more!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP's M2xx
Quote:

Dinan can neither confirm nor deny due to added bracing on the vert. I'm going to test fit one next time I am at my Dinan shop in a month or two feel free to ping me to remind me to let you know how it works.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP's M2xx View Post
It does work on the xdrive model according to Dinan's site.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
xDrive is not the issue - convertible is.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
jamieattfield
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
xDrive is not the issue - convertible is.
Speak to your dealer about adding the M Performance Muffler and returning it with it still attached at lease end. Mine is totally fine with this. Get peace of mind before doing any work. I'll be doing exactly this.

Great tip about getting a catted downpipe. I have one with the stock exhaust and golf tee mod. Nice increase in sound. I'd do this first since you'll get both power, increased throttle response, less lag AND sound. Heard great things about Fabspeed .

Don't do a muffler delete. I tried it and couldn't wait to get it back to stock. The drone in the most important rev ranges, 1.5-2.5k, is maddening. Some people like it but I just don't think it suits the character of the car. And this is from a guy who's owned an Evo 8 with full turbo back and 100 cell down-pipe. I like loud. Just not the wrong kind. I also lost some low end torque which was the most upsetting part.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2017, 11:32 PM   #11
spencer29
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieattfield View Post
Speak to your dealer about adding the M Performance Muffler and returning it with it still attached at lease end. Mine is totally fine with this. Get peace of mind before doing any work. I'll be doing exactly this.

Great tip about getting a catted downpipe. I have one with the stock exhaust and golf tee mod. Nice increase in sound. I'd do this first since you'll get both power, increased throttle response, less lag AND sound. Heard great things about Fabspeed .

Don't do a muffler delete. I tried it and couldn't wait to get it back to stock. The drone in the most important rev ranges, 1.5-2.5k, is maddening. Some people like it but I just don't think it suits the character of the car. And this is from a guy who's owned an Evo 8 with full turbo back and 100 cell down-pipe. I like loud. Just not the wrong kind. I also lost some low end torque which was the most upsetting part.
Really good to hear your opinion you steered me away from the muffler delete option. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:02 AM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

As said above - DP upgrade on stock system is a simple way to get more character from the exhaust note without cutting up your oem cat back exhaust.

My m135i here in UK has a Frank N Stein exhaust system

BCS 200CPI DP + Remus midpipe + oem MPE

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #13
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:

I'm running a Fabspeed Sport Cat downpipe with an MPE exhaust and very happy with the sound. Really nice exhaust note without being obnoxious or any drone.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
I'm running a Fabspeed Sport Cat downpipe with an MPE exhaust and very happy with the sound. Really nice exhaust note without being obnoxious or any drone.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #15
jamieattfield
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
Quote:

Nice. I'm running the Wagner catted and I'm looking to upgrade to an MPE soon. Just want more growl and like you said, not obnoxiously so.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #16
jamieattfield
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Really good to hear your opinion you steered me away from the muffler delete option. Thanks
Most welcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #17
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

MPE plus sport cat is the way to go. Keep the stock downpipe so you can swap it back and potentially sell the aftermarket DP later.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #18
TMatt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
MPE plus sport cat is the way to go. Keep the stock downpipe so you can swap it back and potentially sell the aftermarket DP later.
I second this. Have had my MPE for about a year and just had a fabspeed sport cat installed over the weekend. It's the best decision I've made yet with this car, sounds wicked. Nice increase in power as well, especially if you have a tune.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #19
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, also don't forget to code out ASD or disable it via the bypass cable.

Build thread
Appreciate 1
TMatt34.50
      03-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #20
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt View Post
I second this. Have had my MPE for about a year and just had a fabspeed sport cat installed over the weekend. It's the best decision I've made yet with this car, sounds wicked. Nice increase in power as well, especially if you have a tune.
I say it all the time - I think our Sport Cat + MPE combination is the most popular combo that guys are running. It does sound amazing.

You should post some videos!
Appreciate 1
TMatt34.50
      03-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #21
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
I say it all the time - I think our Sport Cat + MPE combination is the most popular combo that guys are running. It does sound amazing.

You should post some videos!
Fabspeed valvetronic would be my usual recommendation (since that's what I have ), but the OP said that his car is a lease. I wouldn't recommend it for that if he doesn't want to worry about turning the lease back in.

That said, there isn't a day that goes by that my exhaust doesn't bring a smile to my face. Even on the worst of days. I was in a parking garage this weekend and a group of kids gave me double thumbs up as I drove by lol. I remember being a kid and seeing dope cars.

Build thread
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #22
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fabspeed valvetronic would be my usual recommendation (since that's what I have ), but the OP said that his car is a lease. I wouldn't recommend it for that if he doesn't want to worry about turning the lease back in.

That said, there isn't a day that goes by that my exhaust doesn't bring a smile to my face. Even on the worst of days. I was in a parking garage this weekend and a group of kids gave me double thumbs up as I drove by lol. I remember being a kid and seeing dope cars.
You should post up some more videos of our Valvetronic System!
Appreciate 0