THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Trouble Falling in Love with the M235i

08-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #155
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
Guy your age should focus more on what the girls think of you than coworkers. If you can afford a Cayman, get it. It will help you get laid more that's for sure.
Use your car to your advantage
Nope.

Things women will notice:
- pet dogs
- babies
- women hotter than them

Maybe not rely on a car to get women...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #156
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
Guy your age should focus more on what the girls think of you than coworkers. If you can afford a Cayman, get it. It will help you get laid more that's for sure.
Use your car to your advantage
Well I'm not single :

Quote:
I have a funny feeling Barca will underperform this season.
Almost certainly they will. There seems to be a cycle. Barca were unstoppable from 09-12 and then faded, not coming back to immortality until '14 or '15 really. A great two years has passed, players are getting cocky and/or bored, and are definitely complacent, Messi is going through a crisis, et cetera.

We're due for a shit year or two, after which Messi & co will decide they care about trophies again and we'll win another treble. Although, we did just beat Sevilla 5-0 over two legs as of yesterday for the first trophy of the season...
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #157
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Don't listen to Xiaoxi, he is not meeting the right women.
Appreciate 2
Xiaoxi269.00
StephGOD218.50
      08-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #158
mwickens
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
The hp, brakes, and body work, blue stitching on the seats aren't convincing enough for me to feel like the M2 is that "far superior" so the M235/240.
And you can get the blue stitching on the M240i now.
      08-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #159
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwickens View Post
And you can get the blue stitching on the M240i now.
Not in the US, or at least I can't configure it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #160
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

No offense OP but you need an M2. If you go over there and talk to those guys I think you find it more in line with your goals and personality.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #161
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
No offense OP but you need an M2. If you go over there and talk to those guys I think you find it more in line with your goals and personality.
18+ month wait at this point in time though.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #162
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
18+ month wait at this point in time though.
Then get the 911.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #163
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Then get the 911.
I get where you are going with this and I am right there with you. If you are going to jump up in the 65k+ territory, may as well go big or go home.

That price range opens up a ton of options, Cayman s, etc that are real drivers cars that have the little luxury options you do not get in the 50k price range for performance cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #164
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Then get the 911.
M2, 52k base. 911, 90k base. What are you on about?

Quote:
I get where you are going with this and I am right there with you. If you are going to jump up in the 65k+ territory, may as well go big or go home.

That price range opens up a ton of options, Cayman s, etc that are real drivers cars that have the little luxury options you do not get in the 50k price range for performance cars.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but am I missing something here or have you not tried to configure a Porsche to your liking?

I took a look at the Cayman, not even the Cayman S. The new 718 Cayman starts at 54, and the S at 65. Once you add in the basics for proper Porsche driving... Like the active suspension, torque vectoring (and PDK, because I don't want a manual), you're at 61k. This is with absolutely NOTHING resembling luxury in the car - you have, at this point, two-way non-power seats.

Add a sport exhaust, and the stuff you get with BMW that you would call luxury (heated steering wheel / seats, auto-dimming mirrors), auto headlights, the Cayman is a 70k car.

Cayman S will be 80k+ with those options, and that's really not a fully loaded Cayman - there's a lot more you can do, such as carbon fiber interior parts where you could easily build a 100k Cayman.

M240i would come absolutely fully loaded at like 57k.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #165
mwickens
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Convertible

Quote:
Not in the US, or at least I can't configure it.
You're right. Not configurable and not in the ordering guide. I didn't realize that. Available in Canada, though, thankfully!

08-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #166
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but am I missing something here or have you not tried to configure a Porsche to your liking?

I took a look at the Cayman, not even the Cayman S. The new 718 Cayman starts at 54, and the S at 65. Once you add in the basics for proper Porsche driving... Like the active suspension, torque vectoring (and PDK, because I don't want a manual), you're at 61k. This is with absolutely NOTHING resembling luxury in the car - you have, at this point, two-way non-power seats.

Add a sport exhaust, and the stuff you get with BMW that you would call luxury (heated steering wheel / seats, auto-dimming mirrors), auto headlights, the Cayman is a 70k car.

Cayman S will be 80k+ with those options, and that's really not a fully loaded Cayman - there's a lot more you can do, such as carbon fiber interior parts where you could easily build a 100k Cayman.

Lease the 911. A real sports car vs. a wanna be M2. Perception is reality.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #167
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:

Good so now you can see where most of us are coming from, and the point of all this is you get what you pay for. You are very focused on luxury options in a performance car, the two do not go hand in hand. I said when you open it up to included 65k+ cars, your options expand greatly, I did not say you were buying a Cayman s for 65k. In the 65-80 range you are looking at high end performance cars with a ton of luxury options. Lexus RC-F, Cadillac ATS/CTSv, Cayman S, M2/M3, smaller AMG cars, the list goes on and on.

Either money is no object and go and buy the best of the best, or you settle and live without certain items.

The point that we have all been stressing from the beginning is simple, this 50k M235/M240 is not in the same luxury class with some of the options above, it is in a lower segment with a nice mix of performance and lower end on the luxury scale.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #168
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Perception is reality.
Do you think that is true?

(sorry, this thread needed a bit of levity)
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
raleedy160.00
      08-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #169
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
Good so now you can see where most of us are coming from, and the point of all this is you get what you pay for. You are very focused on luxury options in a performance car, the two do not go hand in hand. I said when you open it up to included 65k+ cars, your options expand greatly, I did not say you were buying a Cayman s for 65k. In the 65-80 range you are looking at high end performance cars with a ton of luxury options. Lexus RC-F, Cadillac ATS/CTSv, Cayman S, M2/M3, smaller AMG cars, the list goes on and on.

Either money is no object and go and buy the best of the best, or you settle and live without certain items.

The point that we have all been stressing from the beginning is simple, this 50k M235/M240 is not in the same luxury class with some of the options above, it is in a lower segment with a nice mix of performance and lower end on the luxury scale.
Very, very true. See? I am learning so much from this thread.

The fact of the matter is I seem to want M240i performance with Mercedes luxury. Those are the reasons I looked at the C43 AMG. But for me, it lacks personality. So then the car I want is a Porsche with luxury options... But that's a lotta dough for something that's not that practical for every day driving. An M3 might fit the bill, but I think it's a little too big. Lexus RC-F is beautiful, but expensive for the dull performance that you get.

So that once again brings me back to the M2/M240i. I think I can forego the luxury... Not the driving feel.

I guess I'll need an M240 or M2, and an AMG as a cruiser. I can afford one right now, and next year with a good bonus, probably both.

Quote:
Lease the 911. A real sports car vs. a wanna be M2. Perception is reality.
Porsche's website offer is 7k due at signing and 1200 per month before taxes for a lease. No thanks, I could lease an M240 for fun and a Mercedes to cruise in, at the same time, for less than 1200 a month.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #170
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:
So that once again brings me back to the M2/M240i. I think I can forego the luxury... Not the driving feel.
Luxury is overrated and fleeting. If you're trying to impress yourself, chances are you won't even be thinking about the luxury aspects when driving. If you're trying to impress others, chances are they'll oblivious to the finer details.

Driving dynamics trumps all.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #171
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Another observation:

wtfbrah isn't the OP. griz31 is.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #172
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

griz31 has already made his mistake. He is beyond saving.
We are trying to save wtfbrah's from falling into the same hole.

wtfbrah buy a Porsche, and ditch the girlfriend. Best advice right here.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #173
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire

Honest advice - if you get the 911 and are in the market for a new gf buy a piece of shit to drive her around in for a while and keep the 911 out of sight. Especially if you've got real money and aren't just blowing every dime on a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #174
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, I know... I jacked this thread pretty hard But I am also learning a ton right here. So oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Honest advice - if you get the 911 and are in the market for a new gf buy a piece of shit to drive her around in for a while and keep the 911 out of sight. Especially if you've got real money and aren't just blowing every dime on a car.
I was going to say, the girls who would be attracted to me simply because I drive a 911 are not the type I want around me.

Quote:
Luxury is overrated and fleeting. If you're trying to impress yourself, chances are you won't even be thinking about the luxury aspects when driving. If you're trying to impress others, chances are they'll oblivious to the finer details.

Driving dynamics trumps all.
This is a good point, but certainly not all aspects of luxury are fleeting. The Merc felt really, really nice on the inside and for long drives that will definitely feel good. I don't know if it's noticeable though, given that the leather seats in the M240i will already provide plenty of comfort.

Quote:

Lol. If I become single and buy the 911 I will update the thread with results but I don't see that happening, she's a fantastic partner in life. 911 seems attractive though. If I REALLY feel like the driving dynamics are worth DOUBLE the cost, I'll spring for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #175
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

OP Checking in, haha. This wasn't ever intended to be a debate. The people who seem to be so terribly offended by this thread are exactly right, none of this will change what I feel or convince me to feel a different way. Just sharing my thoughts and enjoying reading others experiences and input, because after all this is a forum.

wtfbrah and I probably have a lot in common. Both starting our career after college and trying to find our way in this beautiful car world.

I am sure with age and experience you are able to refine your taste and know exactly what you're looking for. Apologies to the older crowd as I'm sure this comes across as whining, complaining, or a cry for validation. The m235i provided that instant gratification. If I had done more research and spent more time, maybe I would have come to the conclusion I'm at before jumping all in. Sorry I am impulsive and indecisive, certainly some can relate.

wtfbrah - being about a 3 months in the future representation of you, here's my suggestion. Go with the edge to performance over luxury. My guess is you can probably tolerate the less squishy ride in favor of performance at this stage in your life assuming this will be your daily. Also take advantage of the fact you don't need a backseat or to transport a lot. If you can honestly (and seriously be realistic with yourself, spoil your girl and don't live life month to month for a car) afford the 911 - do it. Additionally, if you look at your budget and realize that the m3/porsche is off the table - DO NOT GO TEST IT LOL. Had I never known what it was like to drive the M3, this thread probably wouldnt exist
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #176
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
wtfbrah - being about a 3 months in the future representation of you, here's my suggestion. Go with the edge to performance over luxury. My guess is you can probably tolerate the less squishy ride in favor of performance at this stage in your life assuming this will be your daily. Also take advantage of the fact you don't need a backseat or to transport a lot. If you can honestly (and seriously be realistic with yourself, spoil your girl and don't live life month to month for a car) afford the 911 - do it. Additionally, if you look at your budget and realize that the m3/porsche is off the table - DO NOT GO TEST IT LOL. Had I never known what it was like to drive the M3, this thread probably wouldnt exist
This is pretty much my dilemma right now.

I can "afford" the 911 - and I wouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck. But, it is double the car payment (more or less) per month, which means an extra $500 that I could otherwise spend on nice dinners, fancy toys, the new Apple Watch, et cetera. I think it's fair to say that a 911 would be stretching my budget. A Cayman, not so much.

But if I drive an M3 or 911 and then try and get back into an M240i, you're right, I might end up feeling like I'm missing out.

If I had make a decision right now (I don't, I'm gonna let it sit, let it stew in my head, and order my car in 1-2 months), I would go with an M240i xDrive fully loaded, then tune the fuck out of it (stage 3), get really really nice wheels, a Valentine radar detector, LIDAR jammer, front and rear dash cams, performance exhaust, carbon fiber interior parts and rear spoiler, tinted windows, and have an absolute fucking monster of a car with 450+hp and some nice luxury features, for still less than I'd pay for a base Cayman. Then spend that extra monthly income on nice steak dinners with expensive wine.
Appreciate 0