THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Strange behavior of BMW Apps

06-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Strange behavior of BMW Apps

I have iPhone 5 in the "media" cradle (basically USB interface), and generally speaking the Apps are working as expected most of the time. However not always:

1. Once I get an incoming phone call, most of the Apps become unavailable until I stop and re-launch the application (very cumbersome, and - with the location in the center console - practically undoable without pulling up and stopping; tampering with the phone in the cradle while driving can be dangerous)

2. I said "most of the Apps" because a strange thing happens when I'm streaming music (e.g. with Aupeo) when a phone call comes: all other Apps become unavailable from the iDrive ConnectedDrive menu, but the the last streaming application (like Aupeo) becomes now available under the "Media" iDrive button (the one usually getting you to various media sources other than radio; I usually press it to switch between the radio and my iPhone regular music player). But in the situation described, the regular iPhone music player becomes unavailable and the button plays Aupeo instead!

Am I the only one, or is it how it works with you, too? Has been that way in spite of all iOS updates, so I lost hope it will ever be ironed out...

Oh, and the usual incoming email problem is still there to, with all the iOS updates in the meantime - but this is not so important thanks to BMW on-line "Office" application, where I configured all my email accounts, I'm able to read each and all incoming messages as well as compose and send my own emails.
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD

Last edited by moldcad; 06-28-2015 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Anyone able to confirm, or - better still - offer a solution/workaround?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

I'm bumping this thread because the problem is getting worse. It started several weeks ago with only a single (although important) symptom of my Apps becoming inaccessible to the infotainment system whenever a phone call came in, or I had to use the phone for outgoing call (the latter almost never happening as I always have 2 phones on me during long business travels, so I can always call using the other one - i.e. not my iPhone with Apps (connected via the snap adapter/USB), but my Android phone (using BlueTooth).

Then the other symptoms appeared; at first sporadically but now it's basically how it works all the time (or - should I say - doesn't work): not only does a phone voice connection kill BMW Apps accessibility, but the last one being used (like e.g. some Internet radio streaming) at the time a phone call came is magically "transferred" from the ConnectedDrive menu (where - as I said - the Apps become inactive in general, and the message is displayed that in order to use Apps, the application must be open on the phone, blah blah haha) to the "Media" iDrive button... So I'm not only losing my choice of BMW Apps, but access to my iPhone music player with my collection of songs - as well.

It's impossible for me to tell now when and how it started, as I updated iOS twice since I started using my iPhone in the M235i (purchased April 14). The current version is 8.3. Can anyone confirm similar symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
Mine works just fine, in two cars - m235 and x5.

Try todays IOS update 8.4

Also, try hooking directly to the USB port with a genuine cable. Iphone can be a real cword when it comes to cables.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Thanks for the heads-up; just updated to 8.4 but will only be able to test whether this helped in a couple of days. Frankly speaking I suppose it didn't; this looks more like an iDrive thing to me as the phone has already been through several updates which changed nothing. As to the cables: in order to get rid of them and keep my central console tidy, I bought this "Media" type snap-in adapter but this also seems to work just OK... The biggest difficulty in solving this annoyance is that - with my iphone locked inside the console - I'm unable just to take a look at its screen the moment Apps start behaving on me (without compromising safety); it's quite possible that the phone is displaying some prompt expecting me to respond... For testing purposes I guess I will test drive with it connected straight to USB (i.e. by-passing the adapter), so that it's outside the console and easy to watch the screen. Because now - when it happens - I have to wait for a good opportunity to stop (like at the next filling up), wake the phone - depending on whether the particular application that is still playing (!!!) instead of the regular music player has the play/pause buttons available - either stop it, or kill it (!!!). (only then the standard music player will become available under the iDrive's Media button). Then I re-launch the Apps main menu, and everything works as designed again!

Until the next coming phone call
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
If its something with i-drive, they should fix it under warranty.

Try it with another phone as well, perhaps with android.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 01:52 AM   #7
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

You are joking, right? Can't imagine the BMW service successfully diagnosing such problem as this
Appreciate 0