Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #46
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
This is crazy talk! I owned both a TT-RS and a 1M at the same time and I got rid of TT, and took an ass whipping on it! 1M is the only new car I've ever had that gained value. Plus on the track the all wheel drive, front wheel bias was terrible. Audis answer was spend more money for new Haldex and away bars. Screw that!

I like the 2 a lot and may get a M 235 but it will never have all the "stuff" going for a 1M has. And before you bring up the fact that M235/M2 will out run a 1M think about it. My 1M will kill a E30 M3 but that hasn't stop the prices on those from going crazy. I sold my E30 M3's too soon!

Buy what you want for whatever reason, but a 1M is a known quality car with all the right stuff! M245= mass produced, m2=who knows if they will make it, TT=RS= please, get real!
This.

It's also not about outrun(remember the arcade game?) it's about fun.

Prices overhere(NL) are steady as well.

Just buy a 1M and when a M2 comes(1, 1.5 years) maybe go for that one.

TT-RS ha. No comment. At. All.

Edit, 1M overhere is nothing special, (only 40 in the Netherlands)

LOL

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #47
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Are you a collector? Why would you spend more money on a 3 year old car with miles on it, which you have no cue if it was abused? It was reported recently that the 1M now costs more now than when it was new.

The choice is rather simple. Get yourself an M2

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #48
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu
Are you a collector? Why would you spend more money on a 3 year old car with miles on it, which you have no cue if it was abused? It was reported recently that the 1M now costs more now than when it was new.

Yep, I sold mine for more than I bought it for which is the first time that's ever happened. Though I miss it, I'm really looking forward to the M2 and I think it will be a nice step up from the 1M. I even canceled my M4 order to wait for this pocket rocket.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #49
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I would wait on the M2 - the 1M is a cult classic, and due to limited numbers, will be a very rare car to have...with that being said, I would want the newest and baddest thing out there - so I would wait and get the M2.

Not sure if I agree that prices for the 1M will drop that much - there aren't really many around for sale, so people don't have to sell if no one meets their respective price. My guess is that the M2 will be different enough than the 1M that it won't be a "one or the other" situation...but we will see.

I don't think you can go wrong either way to be honest...
      05-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #50
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

The 1M would be good to have for its rarity alone. Find one in good shape, treat it well, and years from now you could send it up on the block at a Barrett-Jackson auction.

I agree with dmboone25 that I don't think you would go wrong either way.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #51
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
I am a huge 1M fan....but I can't see too many people spending $55k to buy a 1M when the M2 promises to be a significantly capable performer. Same for the new F80 M3 and M4.....of which a base version (already well equipped) lists in the low 60s.

As much as I love the 1M.....I think it's days of premium pricing are coming to a close. Many 1Ms have been sitting around used car lots for a loooong time mainly because dealers are asking premium prices, but not necessarily getting them.....prices will be higher later on in 10-15 years but that's too far away for me to consider. Life is too short to plan that far ahead!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #52
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

AGREED ^^^^^Get a M2...I no some could care less, but i do like having a warranty and free maintenance.
      05-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #53
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post

I was talking to the local dealer in Chicago that sold a 1M that had spent 2 months on a frame rack for $15K more than original MSRP. In general used cars scare me, specifically used cars that are tailor made to be driven HARD. If you could get your hands on a new 1M back then and drive it for free before selling on to someone else you got one of the best cars and the greatest deals in the last 25 years at least. That said when shit goes wrong and you are out of warranty we aren't talking about cheap fixes.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #54
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post

I was talking to the local dealer in Chicago that sold a 1M that had spent 2 months on a frame rack for $15K more than original MSRP. In general used cars scare me, specifically used cars that are tailor made to be driven HARD. If you could get your hands on a new 1M back then and drive it for free before selling on to someone else you got one of the best cars and the greatest deals in the last 25 years at least. That said when shit goes wrong and you are out of warranty we aren't talking about cheap fixes.
Which dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #55
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

OP just drive the 1M for yourself and compare it! There are many options for the money but short of the M2, the 1M is exciting unlike the 235, Cayman and CLA. Even the M2 will come with fake sound and bloated with stuff you might not want so you have enough info. Go and drive it that is the only thing that matters. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #56
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbark View Post
Which dealer?
Patrick. They fully disclosed that the car had been hit. Didn't intend to make the dealer sound shady, just pointing out an example of the ridiculous values these cars still command. The only other thing I can think of that's so crazy is the current prices of Defender 90s.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #57
BMWJS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
OP just drive the 1M for yourself and compare it! There are many options for the money but short of the M2, the 1M is exciting unlike the 235, Cayman and CLA. Even the M2 will come with fake sound and bloated with stuff you might not want so you have enough info. Go and drive it that is the only thing that matters. Good luck.
After over 2 months with a deposit on a 1M and trying to work out traveling from MD to NY to pick it up during multiple snow events, I found the dealer to be less than honest. The car was listed for $60K which seemed about right but when I asked for an inspection I got mixed information. I found that the car had Dinan software installed which was not disclosed. Maybe a bonus but makes you wonder. I asked for the car to be certified but was denied. After asking for new tires to be included but being told no, I was made to believe that the tires would pass inspection by the pre owned sales manager who measured the depth himself. Then, the dealer performed an inspection and the service department failed the tire depth in writing. I lost trust and gave up. I asked for my $1000 deposit back and then no one would take or return my calls. After another month, I finally got the finance guy to credit my card. What a pain in the ass. If you're looking for a 1M, it's still available. Check auto trader. It' listed for $62500 now. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #58
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJS View Post
After over 2 months with a deposit on a 1M and trying to work out traveling from MD to NY to pick it up during multiple snow events, I found the dealer to be less than honest. The car was listed for $60K which seemed about right but when I asked for an inspection I got mixed information. I found that the car had Dinan software installed which was not disclosed. Maybe a bonus but makes you wonder. I asked for the car to be certified but was denied. After asking for new tires to be included but being told no, I was made to believe that the tires would pass inspection by the pre owned sales manager who measured the depth himself. Then, the dealer performed an inspection and the service department failed the tire depth in writing. I lost trust and gave up. I asked for my $1000 deposit back and then no one would take or return my calls. After another month, I finally got the finance guy to credit my card. What a pain in the ass. If you're looking for a 1M, it's still available. Check auto trader. It' listed for $62500 now. Good luck!
i know which car you are talking about. AVOID that dealership (BMW of Tenafly). I found them to be tricky and deceptive over e-mail communication and actually very cocky about themselves too. Untrustable....

i also inquired about that 1M several months ago and they gave me a hilariously low trade-in value....i told them that nobody else has ever given me such a ridiculous number as they had. They have also raised and lowered the price of that car several times since they've had....they're just playing games. I hope it never sells! lol
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 04:53 AM   #59
STARSKI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 VO BMW 1M, '09 JrzB BMW M3

If you're looking for a car to keep for years to come 1M. If you are gonna lease and get something else in a few years M2. I personally will not be giving up my 1M no matter what the performance figures etc are on the M2, but I also have several cars am sort of starting my "collection" if you will. But if I wasn't trying to keep the car and always wanted the next best thing I'd get the M2. I also have an e92 M3 and am considering trading it in next year for the f80 or f82 m3/m4. But their are thousands of e92's out there if I ever wanted one again.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #60
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJS View Post
Given an opportunity, would you purchase a used 1M for $60,000 with approximately 13,000 miles and the unknowns that come with a used vehicle or would you wait for the possible M2 to arrive with the unknown engine, steering, etc. but no previous drivers tearing it up? I am trying to decide on exactly that and have only a day or so to pull the trigger before the dealer sells to another prospect. Thanks for any input.
$60,000 for a used 1M?

No thanks, the decision here is easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #61
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockette View Post
Is the 1M still increasing in value?
Only according to this message board. I saw one for sale on local listing here for $40K...granted it was 6 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:24 AM   #62
STARSKI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 VO BMW 1M, '09 JrzB BMW M3

The fact is the 1M might drop a bit but eventually will go back up. Not sure how some can't see that. If you keep this car for 15+ years in good shape it's gonna be worth something. Period.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #63
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Yea, the 1M will alway's be a very very nice car for the long haul....but then some folks like me just get bored and want something new and different...we are on this planet for such a short time.....the more cars i can try and enjoy the better...no more garage queens for me ..
      06-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #64
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
Only according to this message board. I saw one for sale on local listing here for $40K...granted it was 6 months ago.
NOPE. that has never happened. Maybe 40k Euros or GBP but not $$ unless it was a salvaged car.

Prices have fallen a bit over the past 6 months but are still well above what was expected originally. My feeling is that the demand is still there so the prices are maintaining a certain level pretty consistently.

i think the 1M is being seen as one of the 'last organic BMW M cars' and that image is translating into big preservation of the values, unfortunately!

I also think there are plenty of people just waiting for prices to dip so they can grab one...like me!

Last edited by IEDEI; 06-11-2014 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #65
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Don't feed the troll...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #66
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
NOPE. that has never happened. Maybe 40k Euros or GBP but not $$ unless it was a salvaged car.

Prices have fallen a bit over the past 6 months but are still well above what was expected originally. My feeling is that the demand is still there so the prices are maintaining a certain level pretty consistently.

i think the 1M is being seen as one of the 'last organic BMW M cars' and that image is translating into big preservation of the values, unfortunately!

I also think there are plenty of people just waiting for prices to dip so they can grab one...like me!
replying to myself i suppose.

NEVERMIND. i bought a 1M last weekend.

and it is FUCKING EPIC. if you wanted a 1M....buy one. you will not regret it. the end.
Appreciate 0