BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Financing vs. Leasing

02-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #23
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
That's a great point about the battery, an obvious savings area, plus the DCT. Yes I forgot all about the Z4 here in the UK, it is not very much to add that vs near £3000 UK for the M4.

Will Bimmerpost offer a prize for the M2 fan nearest to weight and price estimates?!
apparently the battery somehow saves 30 lbs over a stock bmw battery (the stock battery seems insanely heavy for a battery compared to say a non bmw brand one), and it costs $1000.

so yeah i was a little wrong about it, but its the type of thing they could remove from the m2 to keep the price down that wouldn't absolutely ruin the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #24
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Agreed. If we are going to do these cuts such as CF roof and trunk (among other things), them I hope that is reflected on the price. MSRP of $52k sounds great to me
I am right there with you - 52 seems fair with what has been missing from some of the most recent spy shots and accompanying analysis. I just wouldn't be surprised to see BMW push the price higher - I mean, the 235 isn't exactly cheap, and you really have to want to be in the market for a small coupe to spend that kind of money.

I wouldn't even care if the price were higher, IF they included the majority of things you got on the M3/4. Then you're basically paying the same money, but choosing between styling differences, a shorter/longer wheelbase, and whether you want manic (M2), practicality but still manic (M3) or elegant madness (M4). Won't happen, but that would be nice...

02-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I am right there with you - 52 seems fair with what has been missing from some of the most recent spy shots and accompanying analysis. I just wouldn't be surprised to see BMW push the price higher - I mean, the 235 isn't exactly cheap, and you really have to want to be in the market for a small coupe to spend that kind of money.

I wouldn't even care if the price were higher, IF they included the majority of things you got on the M3/4. Then you're basically paying the same money, but choosing between styling differences, a shorter/longer wheelbase, and whether you want manic (M2), practicality but still manic (M3) or elegant madness (M4). Won't happen, but that would be nice...

Was chatting with a friend over lunch Friday and I think I've got a plan.

MY 2017 M2 (end of 2016 order)= Let's say $53k (MSRP)
LBB = +$550
Heated seats = potentially $500 if cloth is not an option

Total = $54.5
- $1k CCA discount
- $1500 holiday discount

So even at MSRP (which I'm sure you can get way less than that if you find right dealership, it would be $53k. I'd be flirting with the high 40k's if I got it closer to invoice than MSRP.

Not to mention I could do ED and would have a place to crash for free in Munich. Debating on this though, because while I haven't done an actual ED, I've visited all the ED hotspots while I was working in Germany for a couple of months.

I know I must not be the only one that has run all sorts of scenarios and numbers on a car that's not even out yet

P.S. Let's not even talk about the mods I've got planned in my head too
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #26
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Was chatting with a friend over lunch Friday and I think I've got a plan.

MY 2017 M2 (end of 2016 order)= Let's say $53k (MSRP)
LBB = +$550
Heated seats = potentially $500 if cloth is not an option

Total = $54.5
- $1k CCA discount
- $1500 holiday discount

So even at MSRP (which I'm sure you can get way less than that if you find right dealership, it would be $53k. I'd be flirting with the high 40k's if I got it closer to invoice than MSRP.

Not to mention I could do ED and would have a place to crash for free in Munich. Debating on this though, because while I haven't done an actual ED, I've visited all the ED hotspots while I was working in Germany for a couple of months.

I know I must not be the only one that has run all sorts of scenarios and numbers on a car that's not even out yet

P.S. Let's not even talk about the mods I've got planned in my head too
You know what they say about the best laid plans...

I think it is a good plan - I hope that most of the furor has died down by the time I am ready to get into one...I have been flirting with the idea of the M3, but I am not going to do anything until I see the M2 concept...which should give all of us a good idea of things that will make it to production.

How can you have the mod list ready ALREADY? maybe the car will arrive more "complete" than we hope, and extensive modding won't be required right off the bat.
      02-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #27
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
a friend of mine who is considering an f80 m3, was telling me that it has a lithium ion battery instaed of a lead-acid which probably saves 15lbs of weight.

and it costs $1500 as a replacement part. i'd hope they make cuts in things like , not to mention the different electronics to charge a lithium battery etc.

im guessing the cuts will be, CF stuff, lithium battery and just a tuned n55, not a S engine. and we'll get everything else . i don't think DCT will be super expensive for them to fit to a n55, since well... the z4 sdrive35is has the same DCT with an n55 that puts out 335hp (it is also only a $500 option too, i'd love it if DCT was only $500 extra on the F87)
$1500 for the battery ??? Whoa...I had no idea that was the case - these are details to be considered if someone is thinking of owning one of these bad boys...not so much on a lease, but long term concerns for sure.

And you can bet that DCT is going to be a lot more than $500 - it's $2900 on the M3/4 - it might be less than that for the M2, but my guess is that it will be at least 2K. Here's to hoping for it to be less...
      02-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You know what they say about the best laid plans...

I think it is a good plan - I hope that most of the furor has died down by the time I am ready to get into one...I have been flirting with the idea of the M3, but I am not going to do anything until I see the M2 concept...which should give all of us a good idea of things that will make it to production.

How can you have the mod list ready ALREADY? maybe the car will arrive more "complete" than we hope, and extensive modding won't be required right off the bat.
I know right? I actually also haven't ruled out the F80, or a used Cayman GTS completely yet. But I think if my scenario plays out, the M2 is still at the top of my list.

My mod list so far is all cosmetic. So all OEM M-Perf black grilles, M-Perf CF lip (love the one from the M3/4) and a CF trunk spoiler (wouldn't mind same one that's available on 2ers). That alone right there is probably close to a $2k bill

Then eventually would be a drop because BMW always have crazy tall right heights up front, and a new set of wheels. Not going to mess with engine or tune (note that I didn't say muffler) as this is literally my first car with a warranty. Want to be able to enjoy that peace of mind for a couple of years haha.

But no worries, all those mods have already been budgeted so far
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #29
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:

Man, $52,000 would be a dream up here. I bet it will START at $60,000 up here. M235s are $55,000 +
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #30
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I know right? I actually also haven't ruled out the F80, or a used Cayman GTS completely yet. But I think if my scenario plays out, the M2 is still at the top of my list.

My mod list so far is all cosmetic. So all OEM M-Perf black grilles, M-Perf CF lip (love the one from the M3/4) and a CF trunk spoiler (wouldn't mind same one that's available on 2ers). That alone right there is probably close to a $2k bill

Then eventually would be a drop because BMW always have crazy tall right heights up front, and a new set of wheels. Not going to mess with engine or tune (note that I didn't say muffler) as this is literally my first car with a warranty. Want to be able to enjoy that peace of mind for a couple of years haha.

But no worries, all those mods have already been budgeted so far
I agree with you on the mod list... not much called for on this car. I'm thinking the Mperf splitter and kidney grills, invisibulbs to get rid of the orange glow from the turn signal bulbs (but still be DOT-compliant), and a solid cat-back exhaust. For ride height, I'm thinking of the K&W HANS, which is basically a kit that turns the OEM shocks (which are quite good, particularly the EDC version) into coil overs. I've read good things about them on the F80.

By the way, I'm also starting to get totally on board on the idea of a stripper car... but there are still a few options I will be hard pressed to ditch... Bluetooth integration and HUD come to mind. Hopefully the newer gen HUDs aren't too heavy.
      02-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #31
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I agree with you on the mod list... not much called for on this car. I'm thinking the Mperf splitter and kidney grills, invisibulbs to get rid of the orange glow from the turn signal bulbs (but still be DOT-compliant), and a solid cat-back exhaust. For ride height, I'm thinking of the K&W HANS, which is basically a kit that turns the OEM shocks (which are quite good, particularly the EDC version) into coil overs. I've read good things about them on the F80.

By the way, I'm also starting to get totally on board on the idea of a stripper car... but there are still a few options I will be hard pressed to ditch... Bluetooth integration and HUD come to mind. Hopefully the newer gen HUDs aren't too heavy.
I'm willing to bet a lot of $$$ that we will NOT get HUD for the M2, as that would require an entire new design for the dash, dash carrier and new windshield. Plus that member that knows all the dates and engine codes more or less confirmed it (cryptically). As for Blutooth, unless I misunderstood it, just skip it and get it coded on later for cheaper than $500.

I just love the idea of a low optioned car. There's a chance I literally might end up with just metallic paint. My E36 M3, which is being used as a DD, is essentially a stripper for today's standard. And I really don't find myself missing anything apart from maybe heated seats every now and again.

Interesting note about K&W. I'll have to read up more about it. I know when I test drove the M3/4, I was very happy with the way the car handled out of the factory (much stiffer, less body roll than my E9x with EDC and aftermarket springs). If the M2 comes out and is similar, I'd just be happy with just $400ish springs, as long as they are good quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #32
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I'm willing to bet a lot of $$$ that we will NOT get HUD for the M2, as that would require an entire new design for the dash, dash carrier and new windshield. Plus that member that knows all the dates and engine codes more or less confirmed it (cryptically). As for Blutooth, unless I misunderstood it, just skip it and get it coded on later for cheaper than $500.

I just love the idea of a low optioned car. There's a chance I literally might end up with just metallic paint. My E36 M3, which is being used as a DD, is essentially a stripper for today's standard. And I really don't find myself missing anything apart from maybe heated seats every now and again.

Interesting note about K&W. I'll have to read up more about it. I know when I test drove the M3/4, I was very happy with the way the car handled out of the factory (much stiffer, less body roll than my E9x with EDC and aftermarket springs). If the M2 comes out and is similar, I'd just be happy with just $400ish springs, as long as they are good quality.
No HUD offered? Well, that would certainly make the decision easier... lol
So there's no HUD option on the 2 series? I will miss it now that I'm used to having it. The seating/ergonomics in the 3 series are veeeery good for me, with the exception of the fact that the top of the steering wheel blocks the top of the speedo/tach... not a problem with the speed indicated on the HUD. (I also find this easier to glance at on the track, and really with I could code in the capability to have the tach on the HUD like you can on the M3)
I wasn't aware that you could code bluetooth on afermarket - I assumed that there was some optional hardware involved.

Your e36 is a great example of one of the upsides to a stripper car... as it ages, you won't be stuck with antiquated technology annoying you every day!
      02-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #33
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
a friend of mine who is considering an f80 m3, was telling me that it has a lithium ion battery instaed of a lead-acid which probably saves 15lbs of weight.

and it costs $1500 as a replacement part. i'd hope they make cuts in things like , not to mention the different electronics to charge a lithium battery etc.
Your friend is pretty far off on both counts. The lithium battery in the F8x weighs 30 lbs less than the E9x AGM battery.

The BMWNA MSRP for the Li battery is $1050 not $1500.

Regards,
Chuck
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
No HUD offered? Well, that would certainly make the decision easier... lol
So there's no HUD option on the 2 series? I will miss it now that I'm used to having it. The seating/ergonomics in the 3 series are veeeery good for me, with the exception of the fact that the top of the steering wheel blocks the top of the speedo/tach... not a problem with the speed indicated on the HUD. (I also find this easier to glance at on the track, and really with I could code in the capability to have the tach on the HUD like you can on the M3)
I wasn't aware that you could code bluetooth on afermarket - I assumed that there was some optional hardware involved.

Your e36 is a great example of one of the upsides to a stripper car... as it ages, you won't be stuck with antiquated technology annoying you every day!
Unfortunately not. And I definitely know what you mean. I had an F11 when I was in Germany for a weekend and absolutely loved the HUD system. The thing that infuriates me on the F80 is that while I'd love the HUD, I don't want to pay $4500 or whatever it is for the rest of the Exec package. Plus as you said, that makes the decision to go full stripper easier.

I don't mind loaded cars though, my E92 was pretty much fully loaded (although I didn't buy it new). And I prefer the look of the dash with the iDrive system. But for a car that I'm buying new myself, I know which options I can afford to skip and not regret. And the only one I think I'd regret not having would be LED headlights if they were made available. Everything else can go!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #35
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Unfortunately not. And I definitely know what you mean. I had an F11 when I was in Germany for a weekend and absolutely loved the HUD system. The thing that infuriates me on the F80 is that while I'd love the HUD, I don't want to pay $4500 or whatever it is for the rest of the Exec package. Plus as you said, that makes the decision to go full stripper easier.
Same thing with Comfort Access. They bundle it within that crazy priced package on the F8x trying to make people ante up for a feature that is standard equipment these days on something like a $20k Toyota Corolla LE. Why should something like a CA key not be standard on the F8x? I suppose because "customers" will plunk down many thousands extra for the "Exec package" in order to get it without a second thought, and BMWNA knows that they can milk that customer thoroughly?
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #36
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

I don't mind loaded cars though, my E92 was pretty much fully loaded (although I didn't buy it new). And I prefer the look of the dash with the iDrive system. But for a car that I'm buying new myself, I know which options I can afford to skip and not regret. And the only one I think I'd regret not having would be LED headlights if they were made available. Everything else can go!
This is where I am at too - BMW used to offer more options like that on an ala carte basis, but they realized that it was much more profitable to stick two good features in a list of 10, name it some idiotic package, and charge 3, 4, or 5 grand for it.

For example - the LED light option - it's a no brainer to get them in my opinion, but you know that those don't cost anywhere near 2K over the standard Xenons..and yet, for the privilege of LEDs and automatic high beams (completely stupid pairing IMO), it's $1900...but I know I would be pissed if I didn't get them, so here's my 2k...
      02-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #37
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Same thing with Comfort Access. They bundle it within that crazy priced package on the F8x trying to make people ante up for a feature that is standard equipment these days on something like a $20k Toyota Corolla LE. Why should something like a CA key not be standard on the F8x? I suppose because "customers" will plunk down many thousands extra for the "Exec package" in order to get it without a second thought, and BMWNA knows that they can milk that customer thoroughly?
Yea, exactly. Because they know customers will pay for it. That's why cars like the 5/6/7er have so many packages and options. They are easily the most profitable cars for BMW.

In a crazy kind of way, I prefer how Porsche is doing things. Offer car with almost no options (when it comes to base Cayman + Boxster) and let the customer pick everything he wants. But then I'm sure we'd be here complaining about how rain sensors are not standard (yes that's correct, that's not standard on a $50k+ Porsche)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #38
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Preeeeeecisely my man. Sucks, but you gotta vote with your wallet. And when good shit is bundled with bad...well you end up buying the whole package because you really want the good shit...
      02-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #39
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yea, exactly. Because they know customers will pay for it. That's why cars like the 5/6/7er have so many packages and options. They are easily the most profitable cars for BMW.

In a crazy kind of way, I prefer how Porsche is doing things. Offer car with almost no options (when it comes to base Cayman + Boxster) and let the customer pick everything he wants. But then I'm sure we'd be here complaining about how rain sensors are not standard (yes that's correct, that's not standard on a $50k+ Porsche)
The funny thing is that you still have to hit the button on the end of the stalk to get the wipers moving...so, it kind of defeats the purpose.

If the rain sensors were really badass, they would come on completely on their own.
      02-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #40
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
This is where I am at too - BMW used to offer more options like that on an ala carte basis, but they realized that it was much more profitable to stick two good features in a list of 10, name it some idiotic package, and charge 3, 4, or 5 grand for it.

For example - the LED light option - it's a no brainer to get them in my opinion, but you know that those don't cost anywhere near 2K over the standard Xenons..and yet, for the privilege of LEDs and automatic high beams (completely stupid pairing IMO), it's $1900...but I know I would be pissed if I didn't get them, so here's my 2k...
That last sentence had me laughing out loud. So true. You damn bastards, fine, take my money!

But I'd really like to avoid any regrets when I finally take delivery of a new car. Which is why I very seldom find a car that I'd exactly want used or on a lot. If I did, it would be a hell of a coincidence!

I'm still keeping an eye out for LCI. I'd be a little upset if LED was made available later because it's not reasonable to try to retrofit (aka it'll cost you more than $1900). I hope we find out by the end of 2015 or mid-2016.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #41
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
That last sentence had me laughing out loud. So true. You damn bastards, fine, take my money!

But I'd really like to avoid any regrets when I finally take delivery of a new car. Which is why I very seldom find a car that I'd exactly want used or on a lot. If I did, it would be a hell of a coincidence!

I'm still keeping an eye out for LCI. I'd be a little upset if LED was made available later because it's not reasonable to try to retrofit (aka it'll cost you more than $1900). I hope we find out by the end of 2015 or mid-2016.
I always imagine the boffins @ BMW laughing at us while we play with the numbers and build the car 1000000 times...knowing full well that at the end of the day, we are going to spring for the good stuff.

"Hans!! Look!! Anozer American order! Ze got ze LEDs!! Just as we knew ze would!!!"
      02-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #42
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Preeeeeecisely my man. Sucks, but you gotta vote with your wallet. And when good shit is bundled with bad...well you end up buying the whole package because you really want the good shit...
I guess it depends on what car. What I find hilarious is the X5/6M. I would definitely want LED on that car, but if you want it, you need the Exec pack for $4500 (which I guess is not terrible when you are dropping almost $100k). It comes with:
•Adaptive Full LED Lights (want)
•Soft-close automatic doors (don't want)
•Head-up Display (want)
•Heated Steering Wheel (want)
•Concierge Services (don't want)
•Automatic high beams (don't care)
•Front ventilated seats (want)
•Heated rear seats (don't want)
•Rear manual side window shades (don't want)

So while $4500 seems pretty reasonable for that pack, I don't even want half of the stuff, but BMW is making me get it.

P.S. I'll be skipping LED if it comes in a $4500 package on the M2
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #43
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
I guess it depends on what car. What I find hilarious is the X5/6M. I would definitely want LED on that car, but if you want it, you need the Exec pack for $4500 (which I guess is not terrible when you are dropping almost $100k). It comes with:
•Head-up Display (want)

So while $4500 seems pretty reasonable for that pack, I don't even want half of the stuff, but BMW is making me get it.

I never realized that with the X6M. Good lord, that package is just insane - but to your point, the folks that get that car likely have so much money that another 4 grand doesn't even register on the radar screen.
      02-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #44
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
•Head-up Display (want)

I thought LEDs were out of the question on the M2?
Appreciate 0