BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs Golf R

02-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #45
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

These are competitors to some and to some they are not.

I used to own a Golf R and wouldn't mind owning one again. It is a killer car for the money. My next car could be an A45 AMG, M4, M3, M2, Golf R, S3, RS3 etc. Just because the cars are not the same performance wise does not mean they don't compete for the same customer.
Appreciate 5
      02-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #46
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
These are competitors to some and to some they are not.

I used to own a Golf R and wouldn't mind owning one again. It is a killer car for the money. My next car could be an A45 AMG, M4, M3, M2, Golf R, S3, RS3 etc. Just because the cars are not the same performance wise does not mean they don't compete for the same customer.
Very well said.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #47
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

The golf r is a pretty damn good car, no two ways around it. The golf r 400 (yes it's going to production) is going to mop the floor with a lot of very expensive metal out there.

With that said there's more to a fun car then horsepower and speed (says the c63 guy....) and I think we are all hoping for something special out of the m2 in the balance and fun to drive category. If it delivers in those categories then the golf r should not be in the same league
      12-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #48
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

This is a valid post OP.

Comparing the Golf R and M235i xdrive is probably the closest match. However, how far does the M2 get from the Golf R. And another poster here rightly points out the Golf R 400.

Yes, there are the numbers, the track times, etc. There are also the price of each auto, and if one is special or not.

Bottom line should be that as an informed shopper or buyer, you provide a chance to drive these cars back to back and draw your conclusions.

I have seen a few people on the forum rave of their choice for an M235i and not wait for the M2. I have seen folks on vwvortex claim they walked from an E92 M3 into a Golf R and could not be happier with the 'improved' performance.

I own an E90 M3 and an X5M. And for some reason, I am interested to test drive a Golf R. I owned an R32 and still miss that car... If you are a VW guy you may just need to get back into one. Who knows? Only you can tell.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #49
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 n X5M View Post
This is a valid post OP.

Comparing the Golf R and M235i xdrive is probably the closest match. However, how far does the M2 get from the Golf R. And another poster here rightly points out the Golf R 400.

Yes, there are the numbers, the track times, etc. There are also the price of each auto, and if one is special or not.

Bottom line should be that as an informed shopper or buyer, you provide a chance to drive these cars back to back and draw your conclusions.

I have seen a few people on the forum rave of their choice for an M235i and not wait for the M2. I have seen folks on vwvortex claim they walked from an E92 M3 into a Golf R and could not be happier with the 'improved' performance.

I own an E90 M3 and an X5M. And for some reason, I am interested to test drive a Golf R. I owned an R32 and still miss that car... If you are a VW guy you may just need to get back into one. Who knows? Only you can tell.
I own a MK6 Golf R and going to buy a BMW M2 for summer car. I had VW all my life. I hope I am doing a good move!
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #50
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 n X5M View Post
This is a valid post OP.

Go for the RS3 thats coming out later on this year if you are looking at a GOLF R. But even at that point I still prefer tha 45AMG from mercedes as it is properly engaging and a blast to drive and its going to get even better with the new suspension, LSD, and power upgrades!
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #51
Bobdaxx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the Golf R is a much cooler car than the M235....but really won't be in the same class as the M2...IMO. The M2 will compete against the MK3 TT-RS, Cayman GTS, and the CLA45 AMG
no way. I drove both...hell I drove an s4 and s3 as well...the golf R is nice, but does not come close to the m235 in interior build quality and overall fun. And the m235 is faster and quicker. After driving a ton of cars, I got my 2015 235 rwd for 40k new. Yes i said 40k new. No way a golf r touches that. And when the sales manager says low 40s for a stripper 235 with pilot ss auto and heated seats, I saw low 40s is 40k and they go "f it...40k it is", I ran out the door with that car. I saved some good $ in not going audi or vw

Last edited by Bobdaxx; 12-08-2015 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #52
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
Go for the RS3 thats coming out later on this year if you are looking at a GOLF R. But even at that point I still prefer tha 45AMG from mercedes as it is properly engaging and a blast to drive and its going to get even better with the new suspension, LSD, and power upgrades!
Too bad the RS3 is not coming in Canada in 2016.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #53
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1 Series M

As an previous owner of a Stage 3 Golf R (420hp) and now having a 1M, I can say, interior-wise, it's not much different. Obviously, this isn't a direct comparison to the latest gen of both vehicles, but it's in the same camp.

About the only thing nicer in the 1M is the steering wheel, leather seats, and the seat controls. Otherwise, I'd say the Soft Touch on the R was nicer. Even the door panels and buttons were nicer with chrome accents. The center display are both basically the same. They have an MFD in the center, although the MFD on the R will display the turn-by-turn directions. Both have black headliners. Interior feature-wise, yes I get more options on the 1M, but quality of materials are definitely not lacking to me. To the person you mentioned the S3 interior, that's actually not really any different from my old R or even the current generation's interior. In fact, you're probably better off with the Mk7 R over the S3, unless you want a sedan or need the 4 Rings.

That said, the driving experience is completely different. The 1M feels so much more solid going through turns. It's much more planted and the feedback is amazing. The handling on the R was great, especially with the upgrade Haldex and V3, but the feedback wasn't as good.

Don't discount the R just because it's a VW. The current Mk7 is a highly capable car and excellent performance DD. If you need more room, or 4 doors, I would highly recommend considering one.
Appreciate 3
      03-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #54
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKnvl View Post
As an previous owner of a Stage 3 Golf R (420hp) and now having a 1M, I can say, interior-wise, it's not much different. Obviously, this isn't a direct comparison to the latest gen of both vehicles, but it's in the same camp.

About the only thing nicer in the 1M is the steering wheel, leather seats, and the seat controls. Otherwise, I'd say the Soft Touch on the R was nicer. Even the door panels and buttons were nicer with chrome accents. The center display are both basically the same. They have an MFD in the center, although the MFD on the R will display the turn-by-turn directions. Both have black headliners. Interior feature-wise, yes I get more options on the 1M, but quality of materials are definitely not lacking to me. To the person you mentioned the S3 interior, that's actually not really any different from my old R or even the current generation's interior. In fact, you're probably better off with the Mk7 R over the S3, unless you want a sedan or need the 4 Rings.

That said, the driving experience is completely different. The 1M feels so much more solid going through turns. It's much more planted and the feedback is amazing. The handling on the R was great, especially with the upgrade Haldex and V3, but the feedback wasn't as good.

Don't discount the R just because it's a VW. The current Mk7 is a highly capable car and excellent performance DD. If you need more room, or 4 doors, I would highly recommend considering one.
I drove one and it was one of the most fun cars on the street that I have ever driven. As a street car, I think the Golf R MK7 is one of the best. I've owned a lot. E46 M3, E92 M3, RS4, STI, blah blah. I would put the Golf R right there at the top. The manual gearbox is sublime. The interior is just as nice as a 2 series. I might say even nicer. The M2 is a hell of a car but nearly 15K more... I say this is as fair comparison.
      03-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #55
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Just heard APR came out with a Stage 3 for the Golf R. Makes 500+ whp on stock engine reliability.

Pretty impressive.
      03-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #56
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Impressive numbers maybe, but I would have a hard time buying a tuning solution from anyone that ups the HP of a car about 20% and claims there will be no difference in engine reliability. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #57
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

I'd compare the Golf R to a M235i xDrive. Not an M2. Honestly though, once you consider price, you just have to decide if you want a VW hatch. Because once price comes into play the Golf R is an insane value proposition.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #58
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirc View Post
Just heard APR came out with a Stage 3 for the Golf R. Makes 500+ whp on stock engine reliability.

Pretty impressive.
I think that kit is $6k for the parts only but still very impressive numbers. I do wonder how the car handles that sort of power and if it is at all road-track capable. I'd doubt it at those levels cooling is going to be real tough unless you just like quick roll races.

If you are taking it to a drag strip then you'll probably need a whole host of driveline upgrades.

That sort of car is far different then what the M2 is offering.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 03:17 AM   #59
Namloc
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I agree all the reviews on the Renault were full of praises but it's hardly what someone would call a daily. The car is setup for track or smoothest of roads. As one review I read few mths back put it: "far too harsh for UK roads, with the slightest imperfection sending crippling shockwaves all through the car and into the base of your spine." That's nuts!! Granted they all raved about the chassis but if BMW made the m2 or m3 that stiff and the suspension not as compliant many of us here wouldn't be driving it as a daily. Those who do, in countries similar to UK or the Canadian roads here, much respect.

So no, in that regard, I do not think there is any point in comparing a car like Renault RS to the Golf R just because they are both hatchbacks and fwd (biased).
Maybe the RS 275 is too stiff but I have had an RS 250 Cup as my family DD for years. I owned an A45 when they first came out but went back to the Renault due to the lack of driver connection with the road from the AMG. There are only two cars that can replace the Renault for me, so I have both on order arriving mid-year: an LBB M2 Pure (manual without the electric seats etc) and a Ford Focus RS (another manual). Hoping to make a decision about which one to keep after a few months of overlap but so far both are getting incredible reviews so a tough decision.

The Golf R on the other hand just did not rock my boat when I drove it. Very competent at everything but for me to was too boring and lacked soul.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 03:44 AM   #60
SliChillax
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: Ex BMW owner, will return soon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
While we're at it: also keep an eye on the Golf R400 (4MOTION four-wheel drive system):
0-62mph in 3.9s | 1420 kg (3131 lbs) | 450 Nm (332lb ft) torque between 2K-6K rpm.

Attachment 1149180
The R400 or R420 as some rumors suggest will only be released once the Mk8 Golf goes on sale. There will be no production Mk7 R400.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #61
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

As much as I love my MK6 Golf R as my DD, the M2 will be a more track/racing focused car IMHO.

Note: I will be keeping the R for DD duties
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #62
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

This comparison is stupid.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #63
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Here's a mega hot-hatch comparison by Auto Trader UK:

Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #64
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl
Here's a mega hot-hatch comparison by Auto Trader UK:

34 minutes ?! Nice collection of cars and of course the m135 is a direct comparison more so than the M2 to the Golf R

Gonna have to watch this on home theater setup later.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #65
Imola3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk.7 Golf R

I have a golf R and am planning on moving up to an M2 within the next year. I dont think they are competitors, chris Harris compared the R to the M 235 which to me makes sense. I love my golf, I don't think for the money I could have got a better car for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #66
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
While we're at it: also keep an eye on the Golf R400 (4MOTION four-wheel drive system):
0-62mph in 3.9s | 1420 kg (3131 lbs) | 450 Nm (332lb ft) torque between 2K-6K rpm.

Attachment 1149180
The R400 or R420 as some rumors suggest will only be released once the Mk8 Golf goes on sale. There will be no production Mk7 R400.
The R400 has been cancelled by VW due reduction in R&D funds because of the diesel scandal.
Appreciate 0