BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Flagship Car?

02-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #23
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
You know people would buy it for sure....just not enough to make it a business proposition. Why keyless entry as standard though, removed every other luxury item but retained your favourite, goes to show everyone wants something different, I would prefer HUD even on a track car.
HUD: It adds weight and from my experience distracts. But maybe I haven't had enough driving hours to get used to it and to see its benefits. Mind, there is no HUD in racing cars.

Keyless Entry: Not that I care about it, but if you already have keyless engine start and don't need the key fob to be plugged in to start the engine, then already make the doors open without having to use the key fob. At least with EXX key fob it was plugged in if you had no keyless entry, now you just have it laying around.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #24
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
This would be a flagship:
  • M2 CSL
  • Keyless-Entry Standard
  • No A/C
  • No iDrive
  • No Radio/Loudspeekers
  • No Shark Antenna
  • No Head-Up-Display!!! (totally useless)
  • Oil Temp and Boost Gauge in Instrument Cluster
  • S55 Engine (not detuned) + M Performance Power Kit (470 PS)
  • Short Shift 6 MT
  • M Wide Body Kit (not JDM style)
  • Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Tires
  • Alcantara Upholstery with Contrast Stitching in Body Color
  • Lightweight Floor Mats
  • Lightweight Glass/Windows
  • Lightweight CF Front and Rear Seats (no roll cage)
  • CF Interior Trim
  • CF Interior Door and Rear Panels
  • CF Doors
  • CF Hood
  • CF Roof
  • CF Trunk
  • CF Front Lip
  • CF Rear Diffuser
  • CF Driveshaft
  • CF Side Mirror Covers
  • CF Strut-TOwer Brace
  • CF Engine Cover
  • CF Airbox
  • CF 19" Wheels (like i8) of M3/M4 Size
  • M Performance Titanium Exhaust with CF Tips (Akrapovic)
  • M Performance Ceramic Brakes in Color of Contrast Stitching (Brembo)
  • M Performance Adjustable Coilovers (KW)
  • M Badges on: Steering Wheel, Shift Knob, Foot Rest, Instrument Cluster, Seats, Floor Mats, Door Sills, Side Gills, Wheels, Brake Calipers, Engine Cover, Exhaust Tips
  • Shadow-Line for: Window Trim, Side Gills, Kidney Grill, Mesh Grills, Wheel Centre
  • LED: Headlights, Taillights, Turn Signals, Brake Lights and Interior Lighting

But BMW has no balls.
I'd be fun, but not a flagship vehicle by definition. More like a M2GT4
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #25
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 BMW 135i

Flagship would be a direct S65 coupe rival.
And no, I don't think a 6 series cuts it here.

7 Series coupe with a twin turbo V12 and oozes with luxury, opulence, comfort and a 0-100 time of who the hell cares, you are a peasant in my eyes. Be gone with you *mashes the right peddle*
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #26
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Whatever, for me "flagship" remains M3 CSL, and not "never built" M8, unsuccessful M1 or the joke i8. Could have been different if BMW built an M6 CSL with 5.5l V10, then that would have been a flagship or a new M10. Anyway, at BMW the flagship should carry a CSL badge if no M supercar. Audi has the R8 V10, Mercedes the SLS AMG Black Series, Lexus the LFA, Porsche the 918 Spyder, Maserati the MC12, Aston Martin the One-77, Alfa Romeo the 8C then, the 4C now, etc...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #27
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Whatever, for me "flagship" remains M3 CSL, and not "never built" M8, unsuccessful M1 or the joke i8. Could have been different if BMW built an M6 CSL with 5.5l V10, then that would have been a flagship or a new M10. Anyway, at BMW the flagship should carry a CSL badge if no M supercar. Audi has the R8 V10, Mercedes the SLS AMG Black Series, Lexus the LFA, Porsche the 918 Spyder, Maserati the MC12, Aston Martin the One-77, Alfa Romeo the 8C then, the 4C now, etc...
I honestly couldn't really care less. We are talking about cars that most of us wouldn't be able to afford anyway. I have no idea how an M3 CSL and a 4C can even be mentioned in the same sentence as Maserati MC12.

I'm so much more interested about cars that I could realistically afford, such as an M2, maybe Z3M revival and an M3 Touring (which I know will never happen).

You throw strong words around way too much in my opinion. What makes the i8 a joke? Isn't it ironic that I have yet to see one review that doesn't praise it for being a breath of fresh air in the car industry? Not saying I would plump $140k for one if I had the cash for that kind of thing, but that doesn't mean I don't respect it for what it is. Same for the i3.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #28
c63er
Captain
Rep

There is no question that the i8 is the flagship vehicle for BMW. Flagship of course meaning cutting edge technology, high development energy and high interest from the general public.

There's no question the M2 will be awesome and I want one. But there won't be much of anything cutting edge in it to make it a flagship. It will likely be a darling in our community but will have nothing you couldn't get in another bmw.

Now if they gave it active aerodynamics, carbon ceramics as std, laser lights, a bespoke engine, a carbon tub then we would be talking flagship