THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Mineral White/Coral Red 228ix comes home!

01-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Dan Brown
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Mineral White 228ix

Mineral White/Coral Red 228ix comes home!

Hello All-

This is now my second post I just put my lease deal over in the "Official" pricing thread.

Found a 2015 228ix locally that had basically every option we wanted. If we had custom-ordered it, we would have added an Alarm but that's about it. The car was apparently a custom order that was never picked up. It had been on the dealer lot a while (July '14 production) so they were happy to move it... and I was happy to take it! Car will pick up daily-driving duties come the spring, when we turn in our expiring non-BMW lease.

First Likes:
* 8-speed is butter smooth, paddle-shifters are a nice feature
* Engine has surprisingly good low-end torque (which should mean something coming from an X5d owner!)
* Mineral White is gorgeous. Not as "in-your-face" as a full Pearl White (thinking Cadillac's version) but obviously sparkles more than the plain white SUV it's replacing. Almost has a matte-like appearance in low light (such as the attached pictures). The "mineral" mostly shows on the curves- very cool!
* Hexagon trim fits the M-sport & Coral Red interior theme well IMHO (looks terrible in this pic, sorry). Originally looking for a car with the Brushed Aluminum option but found Hexagon to be a nice product.
* Nav system is a nice improvement over my 2013 X5d's, particularly in response time. REALLY like the touch-pad feature. Larger iDrive wheel fits better in the hand too.

First Dislikes (first "Not Loves"?):
* Harmon Kardon "HiFi" is not as impressive as I'd hoped. You "only" get 360-watts for almost $900 dollars. I have this option (same price) on my X5d and it is considerably nicer in the X5 (16 speakers, 9-channel amp, 600W). That being said, I'd purchase the F22's HiFi again.
* The two exhaust pipes are rather small, and don't seem to fit the car's styling (at least in M-sport form). The front end looks rather athletic and aggressive, but the small exhaust pipes and the narrow rear tires make the direct rear view look a little weak. Back 3/4 view is still fantastic.
* The fact that I live in upstate NY! Only drove it 30 miles total on Saturday, then have spent the last two days stranded at my house due to freezing rain & black ice.
* As a non-alarm'ed car, no Beeps when I lock/unlock. Would I pay 400 bucks for that... maybe. Should a $48,025 BMW come without an alarm? No, IMHO.

Some poor-quality, low-light cell phone pics for now (again, my apologies!) I look forward to driving it more, reporting back, and getting some pics of this great color combo in the light. Thanks!

-Dan
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan Brown; 01-19-2015 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Technical Error on stereo
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
The Harmon kardon is 360 Watts, not 200. Of course thats not the 600 they originally said it would be but still better than 200. Love that red interior

http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/h...eries-coupe-us
      01-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Nice looking car ! Congrats !

About the Harmon Kardon audio, that sucks, coz I have high hopes for it too But, like the other guy said, it's 360 W not 200 W.

Also, I'm sure the X5 system sounds better simply because it's a bigger vehicle, so it gets a more powerful system with more speakers.
      01-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Dan Brown
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Mineral White 228ix

Thanks guys... not sure where I got 200W. That's what I get from going off memory! I'll go edit that post in a second to read 360W.

InlineSix-

Do not fret, my friend... It still sounds good. My post is my initial impression, as I only have 30 miles on the car so far. Again, I would not purchase a 2 series without it... be happy you checked that box!

But yes, my E70 X5 came with 16-speakers- including 2 subs under the front seats, digital 9-channel amp, and 600W (I checked the brochure this time ). My window sticker said it was $925. I consider the E70 "HiFi" a better value then my F22 "HiFi," that's all I'm really saying here.

-Dan
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 11:29 PM   #5
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brown View Post
Thanks guys... not sure where I got 200W. That's what I get from going off memory! I'll go edit that post in a second to read 360W.

InlineSix-

Do not fret, my friend... It still sounds good. My post is my initial impression, as I only have 30 miles on the car so far. Again, I would not purchase a 2 series without it... be happy you checked that box!

But yes, my E70 X5 came with 16-speakers- including 2 subs under the front seats, digital 9-channel amp, and 600W (I checked the brochure this time ). My window sticker said it was $925. I consider the E70 "HiFi" a better value then my F22 "HiFi," that's all I'm really saying here.

-Dan
Thanks dude. Yeah, I'm sure it's better than the standard system. Plus, I think it's ok to make a small compromise on sound, when we're getting a kickass performance vehicle with such an awesome driving experience, so it's not the end of the world in any case