THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i receives 98/100 from Consumer Reports - highest-ever score for a BMW

06-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #67
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
LOL!
I just can't get over the fake engine sound through the stereo. Come on man.
so I presume you're just as outraged by the mk7 GTI, the 991 911, Lexus LFA and the mp4-12c...?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #68
hangover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1

All this device is doing on VW's, where fitted (isn't on all GTI's/R's) is to isolate the unwanted/undesirable noise.

Now, BMW's process of adding an audio soundtrack, that is weak!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:01 AM   #69
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCityFan View Post
so I presume you're just as outraged by the mk7 GTI, the 991 911, Lexus LFA and the mp4-12c...?
This struck me as a little funny, thought I would share:

My kid did something dumb and when I reprimand him, he says but Johnny does it!

I told him if Johnny jumps off a cliff are you going to jump off a cliff?

If Johnny does it, does that make it right?

I just found the parallel too close. : )
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #70
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Ponder this parallel! Let's agree that the car performs well and generates nice sound, just not enough of the sound the driver wants to hear. So, an engineering solution is designed to artificially enhance the audible sound the driver experiences.

Now, consider BMW has created a wonderful 4 cylinder engine. It's powerful, refined, and fuel efficient using the air/gas induction offered by the natural atmospheric pressure. But, it's not enough. So, an engineering solution is created to artificially enhance the atmospheric pressure of the air/fuel induction, and we have a turbocharger.

Where do we draw the line on "authenticity"?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #71
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

A turbo is something mechanical literally connected to the ' mechanical ' engine. And its invented about 100 years or more ago. An artificial soundsystem is something electronical.

???

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #72
Daddycat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 228i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
A turbo is something mechanical literally connected to the ' mechanical ' engine. And its invented about 100 years or more ago. An artificial soundsystem is something electronical.

???

Cheers
Robin
yeah, yeah. it is what it is. truth be told, even with the stereo off I barely he engine or the pumped in sound. The car just flat performs, so all the rest is a moot point. As engines continue to get smaller, everyone is or will soon be doing something similar. Get over it...

I'm just p%#@ed that it's not a Ferrari 12-cylinder soundtrack! Should be standard on every car!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:13 AM   #73
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Headlights: Standard xenon HIDs provide a very bright and uniform pattern of light but, unfortunately, they do not provide sufficient forward seeing distance to allow a driver time to see, react and brake for objects or pedestrians ahead. This is also what we've seen with other BMW sedans. The adaptive function operates smoothly as it allows the lamps to swivel to provide added light in corners; it is well synced to steering inputs.
I gotta call bull$hit on this one. I've had my 228i for 11 days so far, and all I can say is that the headlights are the best I've ever experienced, both low and high beam. I was never very happy with my E90's low beams, but it was like daylight when I switched to high beams. In the 228i, everything is awesome. With the low beams, the house at the end of block lights up when I first turn onto my street.

I have to wonder if it's just a matter of adjustment. Maybe BMW adjusts the low beams slightly low at the factory, but some dealerships adjust them a bit upward before delivering them?

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #74
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
LOL!
I just can't get over the fake engine sound through the stereo. Come on man.
Almost anyone can have cool engine sounds, even in the funkiest of cars:

http://www.soundracer.se/

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #75
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Ponder this parallel! Let's agree that the car performs well and generates nice sound, just not enough of the sound the driver wants to hear. So, an engineering solution is designed to artificially enhance the audible sound the driver experiences.

Now, consider BMW has created a wonderful 4 cylinder engine. It's powerful, refined, and fuel efficient using the air/gas induction offered by the natural atmospheric pressure. But, it's not enough. So, an engineering solution is created to artificially enhance the atmospheric pressure of the air/fuel induction, and we have a turbocharger.

Where do we draw the line on "authenticity"?
Really with this? C'mon. Oranges to apples.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #76
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius Joel View Post
Really with this? C'mon. Oranges to apples.
Of course it is....that's the point of an analogy....using completely different items to explore whether they have a similar relationship.

We all had analogies on the SAT college exam....some enjoyed them while others hated the exercise, but here's the application:

Natural exhaust sound is to enhanced sound as naturally aspirated engine is to _______________.

The answer would be enhanced aspiration (also known as forced induction or turbocharging!).

I have no problem with either enhanced interior exhaust sound nor turbos. The philosophical question raised is how does one justify accepting one but rejecting the other on principle? They both use additional engineering solutions to enhance the effect of the system to which they are applied above the nominal.
Appreciate 0