THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Dealer won't allow me to supply own oil?

04-21-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' M235i

Dealer won't allow me to supply own oil?

Greetings everyone. My car is now almost exactly 1 year old (M235i). I have 8500 miles on it and brought it in to schedule my first service (basically oil change). I'm not in the US so I don't get the free maintenance. However it is a US spec car. I am able to get full synthetic on base and pay US dollars for it, so I was hoping to supply my own oil to bring the nearly $300.00 ( 187.00 GBP) price down. However dealer told me they could not do the work unless the supplied all the "parts." This seems bogus to me, as it's my car and I should be able to put any type of oil I want in it. I'm interested in your thoughts on this and if anyone has experienced something similar. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Go to a different dealership. I've supplied my own parts for multiple different repairs as I was able to source the parts cheaper elsewhere and as long as it was an OE part and had the correct part # they'd install it
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

You could have paid for a 3-4 year servicing contract and would have been a lot cheaper than paying for servicing for each service. Their is no such thing as free and the servicing 4 year cost would have been included in the American purchase price.

Such a small saving over 8500 miles to try and supply your own oil.

New Zealand and Australia servicing costs are included in our purchase price for 3 years with unlimited milage. This way BMW can control the correct oil/parts to be used.

Last edited by Kiwi; 04-21-2015 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

I've experienced both with independents. Regarding dealers, I've never seen one who would take outside parts.

I used to use an independent who absolutely wouldn't take outside parts. Apparently, their cost structure assumed they could mark up materials as well as labor, and they weren't interested in selling just labor. They had a note in the shop along the lines of "Take a raw steak to your favorite restaurant and see if you can get the chef to cook it."

I do have an indy who will let me bring my own parts in some cases, typically when he can't get a good deal on parts (for example, if I want to use a particular brand of tire his supplier doesn't carry). I don't abuse the privilege, however, as I understand that he's in business to provide full service, not just a pair of hands with a lift.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi

Last edited by Zooks527; 04-21-2015 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I was in the consumer electronics repair business for 23 years and it was an extremely rare occasion when we'd install an owners part. And on those rare occasions that we did, there was no warranty on the repairs. None.

Now having said that, sometimes there are good reasons for the owner of a vehicle wanting to supply his own parts, and that's when the servicer gouges the customer on parts. I own a modest, classic airplane (1952 year model) and had a bad experience with a local repair and maintenance firm on the airfield. His prices for parts were outrageous and in every case, I could purchase the identical certified part for a much lower price. In fact, I was still paying industry list price and was still cheaper than that rip-off shop.

So yes, some shops will really stick it to you, if you let them.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

I suppose at that point why not just change the oil yourself or take it to a third party mechanic?
      04-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccappa
Greetings everyone. My car is now almost exactly 1 year old (M235i). I have 8500 miles on it and brought it in to schedule my first service (basically oil change). I'm not in the US so I don't get the free maintenance. However it is a US spec car. I am able to get full synthetic on base and pay US dollars for it, so I was hoping to supply my own oil to bring the nearly $300.00 ( 187.00 GBP) price down. However dealer told me they could not do the work unless the supplied all the "parts." This seems bogus to me, as it's my car and I should be able to put any type of oil I want in it. I'm interested in your thoughts on this and if anyone has experienced something similar. Thanks.
Its a warranty/liability issue thing. If they do the work they want to do it with their parts so if anything goes wrong they cover it and BMW mothership doesn't come down on them or their insurance company. If the they use your stuff or your parts, they can't warranty them but may open themselves (individual dealer) to liability. However, as indicated above its really dealer specific, in that some will take the risk others won't.... It's all upper management. Honestly not very surprising to me at all. An independent however is a different story. Good luck.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccappa
Why not buy a filter and just do it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

What ever you decide to do, just make darned sure you are not setting yourself to void your warranty.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
What ever you decide to do, just make darned sure you are not setting yourself to void your warranty.
As long as you are using the correct oil for the car there are consumer protection laws (at least in the US) that prevent dealerships from voiding your warranty for bullshit reasons. If you replace the oil filter with a block of sand - sure, but other then that people have been changing their own oil for a million years and never have I heard of a person voiding a warranty. Though I suppose fear mongering is a good way to convince people they need $300 oil changes.

The last time I was in for service I had a problem with my PDC sensor and the CA tried to insinuate that I had broken the sensor...first by installing a hitch (the bad sensor was on the front), then that I had an accident (which I never had), then that my US Millworks license plate somehow fried the sensor, or maybe a car wash.

Once I shut down all of her stupid ideas the tech pulled it apart and they spent a week trying to fix it before realizing the control module was faulty.

So yes, dealers may try to get out of doing warranty work but the reality is that comes out of BMW's pocket, not their own, so there should be no reason for them to void the warranty unless it was obvious abuse or wrong doing.

"Hey guys I installed a JB4 and a big turbo and was running a 25psi map on 87 pump gas and my bottom end blew out...must be BMW's fault"
      04-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

As long as the oils meets BMW OEM specs then (cooperative) dealers should allow the use of the oil of your choice. You just need to determine that it does indeed meet those specs. And show them it does.

That said, is their really that much difference in price between your oil and the dealers price? If they are over-inflating the price then perhaps you can negotiate the price of the oil down somewhat. I've done this. They just sold the oil at a "club discount" or something they made up to get it to work in the computer. They have that flexibility, if they want to utilize it.

Another thought, sometimes I have swallowed what I know to be a rather expensive bill, just to build a relationship with the dealer. A good relationship can be very advantageous in the future. It has paid off in a big way for me on many instances.
      04-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #12
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

I would like to use Liqui Moly when I get my scheduled oil change. Wonder if they will accept it...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' M235i

Thanks for the replies everyone. As for why I didn't pay for the service package here in the UK, well that's because I am leaving here and going back to the states with my car in 10 months. As for why I don't change the oil myself, I would, but I've never done it on a BMW before, and I don't know how to reset all the electronic stuff in Idrive. I may explore that option before biting the bullet and going to the dealership. Again, thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #14
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I lived in the UK for six years and rules about vehicle warranty are different there. Go to an independent or if you are on base or do it yourself at the auto hobby shop. I do know in the USA if you change your own oil and keep receipts and records this is just as good as going to the dealer if a warranty issue comes up. A guy I work with changes his own oil on his warranty cars and never had any issues with warranty work.
Good luck driving a US spec car in the UK, I could not have done it when I lived there.
      04-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #15
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

My dealer have ZERO issues with me providing my oil that meets spec. Quite common here and smart. Money saved vs dealer pricing unless they offer a special at a point. All dealers I do business with no matter the marque are compliant. Germany is no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #16
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

I can see the dealers point of view. Only one step away from asking the dealer if you can turn the wrench yourself when the car is on the lift?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKevin View Post
I can see the dealers point of view. Only one step away from asking the dealer if you can turn the wrench yourself when the car is on the lift?
But he's not asking to turn the wrench. Oil is oil. As long as it's got the right specs it doesn't matter. Do people think the mechanics at BMW are gods and the only ones who know anything about their cars. It's still a machine that works like any other car for the last 100 years. It's not rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #18
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
But he's not asking to turn the wrench. Oil is oil. As long as it's got the right specs it doesn't matter. Do people think the mechanics at BMW are gods and the only ones who know anything about their cars. It's still a machine that works like any other car for the last 100 years. It's not rocket science.
I think you're missing the point. As an earlier poster on this thread said, "try taking a raw steak to your favorite restaurant and ask them to use it". The dealer has many reasons for not wanting to do this and probably only one (happy customer) for wanting to.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #19
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKevin View Post
I think you're missing the point. As an earlier poster on this thread said, "try taking a raw steak to your favorite restaurant and ask them to use it". The dealer has many reasons for not wanting to do this and probably only one (happy customer) for wanting to.
But we're not talking about steak in a restaurant. We're talking about simple motor oil in an automobile that we OWN. I understand what you're saying and I understand why it works this way but like many things in the modern world.. We tend to lose sight of the big picture in exchange for rules/litigation/money. The car is his property and if his oil is as good as BMWs then from a safety warranty stand point it shouldn't matter. It comes down to $$. The dealer/BMW gets money to use a certain provided product that's contracted(ie Castrol,bosch, Manns etc) . If they don't use it. They don't get paid nor does the provider and it messes up their constant stream of supply and demand. I get it, but it doesn't make it right.

Last edited by 2msport; 04-29-2015 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
But we're not talking about steak in a restaurant. We're talking about simple motor oil in an automobile that we OWN. I understand what you're saying and I understand why it works this way but like many things in the modern world.. We tend to lose sight of the big picture in exchange for rules/litigation/money. The car is his property and if his oil is as good as BMWs then from a safety warranty stand point it shouldn't matter. It comes down to $$. The dealer gets money to use a certain provided product that's contracted. If they don't use it. They don't get paid nor does the provider and it messes up their constant stream of supply and demand. I get it, but it doesn't make it right.
This would likely all go away if anyone who brought their oil paid an "installation fee" equal to the lost margin for the dealer selling the oil.

The dealer looks at it as time on the lift, with a tech, making less than his average per-hour revenue for labor and parts which he could be making on another vehicle instead. Make him whole, and watch the problem disappear! Of course, that dents the savings of bringing your own oil.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #21
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

never heard of a dealer taking outside parts, especially if they are doing warranty work.
      05-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #22
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Judging by the comments some have made here, it's blatantly obvious that some folks have no idea about how a business operates...
Appreciate 0