THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Random Q's about the m235i + M Performance Parts

04-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
narn
Rep
Drives: TBD

Random Q's about the m235i + M Performance Parts

I'm looking to get an m235i as my first BMW and had a couple random questions:

* Is it possible to get the blue accent interior trim on the m235i or is that only for the 228i? It doesn't seem to appear as an option in the configurator for the m235i, but shows up in the picture if you don't select a trim.
* There's no digital speedometer, correct? Is there a mod or way to get one?
* I'm coming from a Subaru BRZ, how's the interior space compared? Are the back seats going to be usable (with the BRZ, I only managed to get people in there twice)
* For M Performance parts, is there a labor charge associated with them when they're installed port side? And looking at the BMW page, there aren't M Performance wheels, but I think I saw pictures of those somewhere. Are they available only through the dealer?
* Also, of all the options, which ones are truly necessary? I was thinking of only getting the Driver Assistance one and spending the rest on M Performance parts.

Last edited by narn; 04-20-2015 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Greetings!

* Is it possible to get the blue accent interior trim on the m235i or is that only for the 228i? It doesn't seem to appear as an option in the configurator for the m235i, but shows up in the picture if you don't select a trim.

Very strange. It used to be the mandatory trim option when I selected the aluminum hex. I wasn't originally thrilled with the idea but actually really like it now, especially with red trim floor mats...you've got the blue and red M colors!

You may need to work this out with a dealer. This is one of the fussiest parts of configuring a bimmer.

* I'm coming from a Subaru BRZ, how's the interior space compared? Are the back seats going to be usable (with the BRZ, I only managed to get people in there twice)

I lean towards a small build and feel the cabin size is perfect. People can fit in the back pretty comfortably if they're not over 5'10, and provided the front seats aren't pushed back too far to accommodate tall driver and shotgun.

* For M Performance parts, is there a labor charge associated with them when they're installed port side? And looking at the BMW page, there aren't M Performance wheels, but I think I saw pictures of those somewhere. Are they available only through the dealer?

Only certain items are configurable for ordering, such as the black grill, side skirt decals and LSD. These prices include installation/labor at port.

Others such as the upgraded wheel/tire and spoilers are sold separately entirely and do not include labor cost.

* Also, of all the options, which ones are truly necessary? I was thinking of only getting the Driver Assistance one and spending the rest on M Performance parts.

Depends on your priorities. If you want a very driver/track focused car, LSD and moonroof delete are arguably the only things you should need. I personally think Driver's Assistance is very unnecessary. In the luxury department I recommend the tech pkg and premium pkg.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Options really depend on what you want/your needs are. I had all the creature comforts in my F30 so I got a car that was loaded with everything except for the driver assistance plus.

The tech package gets you the extended cluster which a lot of people post on here about wondering why they don't have it - the nav is also very useful if you don't want to use your phone and travel a lot.

Premium is useful if you want satellite radio and the leather. The folding + dimming mirrors are nice.

Cold weather is useless since you live someplace warm but is a must have in the cold states. Heated steering wheel is fantastic.
      04-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

+1 to both Xiaoxi and Cyberdemon. You stand install cost savings on the dealers installed options especially the LSD. Some have questioned what becomes of the OE parts that are replaced at VPC (port installation point). Well, they stay with BMW. I'd say its the trade-off with the install labor charges that you will not be charged.
      04-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
+1 to both Xiaoxi and Cyberdemon. You stand install cost savings on the dealers installed options especially the LSD. Some have questioned what becomes of the OE parts that are replaced at VPC (port installation point). Well, they stay with BMW. I'd say its the trade-off with the install labor charges that you will not be charged.
Yes, you get a discount on the labor as port-installed options, but they are not installed for free. For example, I got the following port-installed accessories:

-- Black Kidney Grills: port-installed price $230. Accessories catalog price $160.

-- M Perf side sill decals: port-installed price $290. Accessories catalog price $175

-- M Perf exhaust with Rear Diffuser: port-installed price $1905. Accessories catalog price $1600

In the trunk of mine were the original chrome kidney grills in boxes. However, I did not get the original exhaust.
      04-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by narn View Post
I'm looking to get an m235i as my first BMW and had a couple random questions:

I think you do get the blue trim highlight with certain color interiors. If you choose the Coral Red leather, however, you automatically get the gloss black trim highlight.

No digital speedo, except in the hidden menus.

Not sure about the back seats in the Subaru, but it may be easier to get to the back seats in the M235i because there's a button on top of the seats that moves the seat forward without having to bend down.

Options are up to you. For me, I thought these were important:

-- red leather
-- Tech package
-- Driver Assist - parking sensors and rear camera help avoid scraping the low hanging front bumper or backing into something

And then for fun I got the M Performance exhaust, diffuser, black grills, & rocker panel decals. The first mod was the M Performance stainless pedal covers!
      04-20-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

* blue accent interior trim: As others noted, depends on color and interior trim, or you can buy a set that has been upgraded by others (like mine :P)

* Digital speedometer: This can be coded in, but it's so small that I did not find it as easy to reference quickly when driving. I had a larger digital speedo in my A4, but adjusted to the dials in the first week.

* Interior space: My teen boys fit easily in the back seat. I have sat back there, definitely more space than my buddy's 1M.

* M Performance labor charge: Of course, but most can be done at home, short of the LSD option. Brian @ Sun Motors BMW can generally beat any dealer pricing, about 25% off on average, including shipping.

* M Performance wheels: Through the dealer, but aftermarket options (I would argue) are much more attractive, dynamic, lighter, and cheaper.

* Also, of all the options, which ones are truly necessary? All personal here, only you can answer. I love the tech package, thought the smaller screen wasn't quite right. Could probably do without the premium package.
      04-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
narn
Rep

Gotcha, thanks everybody!! The BRZ is pretty bare-boned and I don't think I need too many luxury items. The digital speedometer is the only thing that I would really like since the past 3 cars I've had all had one (including a GTI which had the same big screen like the A4). Reading a needle's hard now

I'm looking at these options right now:

- Driver Assistance (I HATE parallel parking, especially since it's really hilly where I live)
- M Performance Black Kidney Grills
- M Performance Front Splitter
- M Performance CF Spoiler
- M Performance Exhaust + Diffuser

No Tech, Premium, or Cold Weather packages because I don't think I really need them (I use my phone for nav even when I did have a built-in nav unit). The only thing that I would like would be keyless entry, but I don't think I could justify buying the premium package because of that. Is it possible to get the keyless entry system separately?

EDIT: Also, if I'm planning on leasing the car, I should get the parts installed port-side since they'll be residualized, correct?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #9
RDKing2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2004 M3

...The colored accent trim is actually standard. Dealers will order gloss black for stock as it is neutral.

....As mentioned believe it can be coded

....Rear seats are actually usable. I can fit at almost 6'. Can tolerate for a short trip. BRZ was on our list when shopping. Honestly, after driving it I said NO. Not to insult your old car but compared to the 235. It is gutless, cramped and rides like a go cart.

.... Labor is included when ordering with the car. Can be aquired for much less through many online dealers. but labor is on you then.

....only options necessary are the ones you want
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #10
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

YOU FIT REAL PEOPLE IN THE BACK SEATS OF A BRZ?!?

You'll find the back seats of the 2 series to be massive after having a BRZ.

I ruled out that car because I felt the rear was too small for a child seat. I sure would have enjoyed the payment on that car though.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
EDIT: Also, if I'm planning on leasing the car, I should get the parts installed port-side since they'll be residualized, correct?
Yes.
      04-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
The only thing that I would like would be keyless entry, but I don't think I could justify buying the premium package because of that. Is it possible to get the keyless entry system separately?
Keyless entry and comfort access are 2 different things.

Comfort access lets you open the door just by pulling the handle or lock it by touching the door. (On the other cars it also includes the "kick to pop" trunk which never works).

Without comfort access, you will still have keyless entry with the key fob - but you need to click it to unlock and lock the doors. The car still has keyless push button start.

Comfort access is nice to have (as is the Sat radio which is part of the premium pack if you like it) but not a must have.
      04-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #13
narn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Keyless entry and comfort access are 2 different things.

Comfort access lets you open the door just by pulling the handle or lock it by touching the door. (On the other cars it also includes the "kick to pop" trunk which never works).

Without comfort access, you will still have keyless entry with the key fob - but you need to click it to unlock and lock the doors. The car still has keyless push button start.

Comfort access is nice to have (as is the Sat radio which is part of the premium pack if you like it) but not a must have.
Ah thanks! Yeah, my BRZ had the equivalent of comfort access which was really nice, but I don't think I need to spend that much money for the package if the only thing I'll find really useful is that.
Appreciate 0