THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Frustrated Service Experience...

04-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
longumd
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Frustrated Service Experience...

I shared my initial experience on tire and wheel insurance in another member's thread. I recommended the insurance for someone like myself, living in a metro area with multiple dealers around, and need a loaner car while waiting for the tire replacement. Well.. that's just one side of the story... As of today, I waited more than a month starting from a pothole damage but my 235 is still at the dealer..

Hit a pothole on 3/15 Saturday, flat tire, lucky I was just heading out. Slowly drove my m235 back.

1st dealer visit: had the service scheduled online with the nearest dealer. Drop off the car at noon, Sunday. Waited 40min for a loaner. Few hours later, I got a call from my SA saying they had to order the tire.

2nd visit: Got a call the following Wednesday that my car was ready. Went to pick up the car but I found the wheel was scratched. I talked to the service manager. He said it was the tire mounting machine and offered to fix it.

3rd visit: They scheduled the wheel repair shop to come pick up the scratched wheel on 3/24. So I dropped my m235 at the dealer 3/23 after work. This time I waited more than an hour to get a loaner...

4th visit: Two days later I was told my car is ready. I asked my SA over the phone, "is the wheel fixed?" SA: "Yes, it was repaired." This time, I hold on to the loaner until I see my car. Guess what... nothing changed! The scratch is still there. Talked to the manager about my frustration that no one bothered to check the work before having me come back for pickup. It's the simplest service work but I had to pay multiple visits to only find out defected work or better yet, no work at all..It's a waste of my time. I kept my loaner and left my car at the dealer. Next morning my SA called me to apologize. Somehow the wheel repair guy didn't do anything then returned the wheel untouched... SA offered to fix another wheel in the rear that has curb rash to show good faith.

After the 4th visit, I waited 4 weeks until yesterday (4/18) the service manager said the he checked out the repaired wheels. What happened in between was my SA had the wheel repair shop re-do the paint twice for better color match. The manager offered to deliver the car to me but I headed straight to the dealer because I can't wait any longer. On my drive home, as I checked the tire pressure in idrive, something was wrong... The driver's side tires are 42psi while the other side are 36. They mounted the two wheels (one front, one rear) in opposite locations and I don't think the technician ever bothered to double check the pressures. As I parked my car to check on the tires, I found a door ding on the passenger side that chipped the paint. Started to think it's not worth the effort/time going back to the dealer, I called up the service manager to let him know the issues but I'd just adjust the tire pressure myself and leave the chipped paint there. He insisted me going back to have those fixed. Now, I'm back in a loaner and hoping I can have the 235 back soon.

The SA and the manager are both upfront with their issues and willing to resolve those through outthe process. I guess it's just I'm unlucky that every time there was a glitch somewhere.

Last edited by longumd; 04-19-2015 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Sounds like it's time to find a new dealer for servicing...

Fool me once...
      04-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

They owe you something for wasting your time. For doing that to me it would be an extended warranty or maintenance program. If they say no call BMW NA and make a complaint.
      04-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
longumd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest M235i
Sounds like it's time to find a new dealer for servicing...

Fool me once...
Actually this isn't the first time...When I first considered buying the car, I made an appointment with a sales agent and stepped in on time. Then I was told he is off for the day..... I went there this time simply because I had a flat tire and I tried to avoid going any further....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I suspect that part of the problem here is the dealer makes their money on selling these warranties not on actually doing the warranty service. The other issue is that a lot of their customers won't pay close attention to the details so they become lazy and then when someone who cares about their car comes in they are ill equipped to provide proper service. I don't work in the car business but I run an organization with a couple of hundred staff and I like to hear from my customers when their expectations are not met so I make it a point to share my experiences with the general manager of a dealership if I am unhappy or get exceptionally good service.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

The thing is the dealerships do get paid for the warranty service. Regardless, however, the service I have been receiving of late is pathetic. I would never hold it against them if it is not their fault, for example a part being unavailable, but this is ridiculous and a blatant disrespect of the customer's time. My car was recently in the dealer service center for more than two weeks under going diagnostics. Long story short they told me they couldnt find anything wrong and returned my car with a broken trim piece and dislodged door panel. They agreed to pay for the part, which is on back order and should be here in a couple weeks, which was the right thing to do. This was too little too late and I am filing a complaint with BMWNA. It almost seems like you would have to try to screw up as bad as some of these stories are. You would think they would leave a note for the tech "We screwed this guy 5x already HANDLE WITH CARE". Its unbelieveable...best of luck in finding a resolution.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

It's tough to find good help
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
longumd
Rep

Yes these are very detailed issues. I kind of started to think I should have just drove off the car with the scratched wheel I won't waste this much of time on it.

But yes, they are lazy. Technicians don't get job done, lot porters don't care about dings/scratches the car, SA don't check on the service. You don't find the issue yourself, then you eat it yourself. You find the issue, fine, they'll do it again. They get paid by hour anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I suspect that part of the problem here is the dealer makes their money on selling these warranties not on actually doing the warranty service. The other issue is that a lot of their customers won't pay close attention to the details so they become lazy and then when someone who cares about their car comes in they are ill equipped to provide proper service. I don't work in the car business but I run an organization with a couple of hundred staff and I like to hear from my customers when their expectations are not met so I make it a point to share my experiences with the general manager of a dealership if I am unhappy or get exceptionally good service.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Dealer's make money in the service department through volume. That's why there is no attention to detail. Warranty work is paid by BMWNA on a strict book time basis. If the book says it should take 30 minutes to replace a strut, the dealer gets paid for 30 minutes of work regardless of how long it actually takes. If it takes longer, that comes out of the dealership's pocket.

It's even worse for a high volume manufacturer/dealer like Honda/Toyota/Nissan.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
longumd
Rep

I suppose the staffs get paid by hour either way, whether it's billable hours that the dealer makes profit of, or non-billable hours out of the dealership's pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Dealer's make money in the service department through volume. That's why there is no attention to detail. Warranty work is paid by BMWNA on a strict book time basis. If the book says it should take 30 minutes to replace a strut, the dealer gets paid for 30 minutes of work regardless of how long it actually takes. If it takes longer, that comes out of the dealership's pocket.

It's even worse for a high volume manufacturer/dealer like Honda/Toyota/Nissan.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
RockinTwinTurbos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW SPY M4 6MT

Garage List
At least they didnt back an X5 into your car like they did mine. LOL.

2021 Sao Paulo Yellow M4 6MT (on order)
Appreciate 0