THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Hill hold assist?

04-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Hey guys, is there anyway to disable the hill hold assist through coding? When I got my car coded in January my coder said it was not. It's incredibly intrusive and I'm sitting on the clutch for way too long before it releases the brakes...if I didn't want the car to roll back on a hill I would have ordered an automatic one...

Thanks,
Dave
      04-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Not sure about the 2, but I know in Subaru's the hill holder was a mechanical valve not an electronic control.

Just got back from driving around Europe in a Fiat 500 which has a hill hold feature but it only lasts for a split second and you could feel it let go awkwardly when letting the clutch out.
      04-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport
You don't have to wait until it releases the brakes to start going. As soon as you add throttle it disengaged the brakes. I always thought it was a win win unless you wanted to roll back for some reason.
I know, but I'm already on the clutch and it's still holding me back, which over time will cause excessive clutch wear! I know this could be done and 2014 and older models, just wanted to know if it can be done on 2015s yet.
      04-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
I know, but I'm already on the clutch and it's still holding me back, which over time will cause excessive clutch wear! I know this could be done and 2014 and older models, just wanted to know if it can be done on 2015s yet.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by already on the clutch.. I know you mean pressing down. But why. Unless it's time to go. Also explain how it's holding you back... EDIT: you said, it's still holding you back. I'm not on hills a lot but every time I've used it, it seems to let go as soon as the clutch starts to come out/simultaneously adding throttle. I don't notice any clutch burning or indication of excess wear. Seems to work pretty seamless. But for someone who's on hills more often, you'd have more experience.

Last edited by 2msport; 06-04-2015 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by already on the clutch.. I know you mean pressing down. But why. Unless it's time to go. Also explain how it's holding you back... EDIT: you said, it's still holding you back. I'm not on hills a lot but every time I've used it, it seems to let go as soon as the clutch starts to come out/simultaneously adding throttle. I don't notice any clutch burning or indication of excess wear. Seems to work pretty seamless. But for someone who's on hills more often, you'd have more experience.

I don't see why the coding options would be any different between a 14 to 15. I'm not an expert though.
I'll give you an example:

Technically you're not supposed to add any throttle until you are already at the engagement point. When you do this on an incline, you are already at the friction point on the clutch with the car still holding the brakes (because you haven't hit the throttle yet) which is super annoying! I don't notice any clutch burning smell (because i'm not burning the clutch) but common sense tells me i'm slipping the clutch and it's not being converted to wheel movement, so i'm slipping the clutch for no reason which is causing unnecessary wear.
      04-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
I'll give you an example:

Technically you're not supposed to add any throttle until you are already at the engagement point. When you do this on an incline, you are already at the friction point on the clutch with the car still holding the brakes (because you haven't hit the throttle yet) which is super annoying! I don't notice any clutch burning smell (because i'm not burning the clutch) but common sense tells me i'm slipping the clutch and it's not being converted to wheel movement, so i'm slipping the clutch for no reason which is causing unnecessary wear.
I think your over thinking the mechanism, while in actuality the hold assist can eliminate the greater threat of rearward momentum from having the car pulled downhill by gravity for the moment the car is stationary to achieving forward momentum. As for clutch wear, slippage is an element of clutch function, it's excessive duration like holding a vehicle on an incline with partial engagement that will overheat the clutch surfaces, duration like the length of a red light.

Last edited by overcoil; 04-21-2015 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
Solarphil
Private
Rep
Drives: Nickole - MG & CR M235i

My previous driver was a Subaru Forester XT with mechanical hill hold, and BMW does it a thousand times better. With my Subie, the brakes took a grab that needed some definite gas and feathering of the clutch to get rolling again. Rush hour commuting was an absolute PITA because even a little bobbing of the nose would engage the hill hold. I got really really good at driving r.e.a.a.a.l.l s.l.o.o.o.w.w in stop and go traffic to keep from having to stop at all costs.
With the 2, it's more that you have a couple seconds where the wheels just aren't going to turn backwards. I've never felt it hampering forward motion, or making it take any different input to the gas or clutch than what you would normally do on flat ground.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarphil View Post
My previous driver was a Subaru Forester XT with mechanical hill hold, and BMW does it a thousand times better. With my Subie, the brakes took a grab that needed some definite gas and feathering of the clutch to get rolling again. Rush hour commuting was an absolute PITA because even a little bobbing of the nose would engage the hill hold. I got really really good at driving r.e.a.a.a.l.l s.l.o.o.o.w.w in stop and go traffic to keep from having to stop at all costs.
With the 2, it's more that you have a couple seconds where the wheels just aren't going to turn backwards. I've never felt it hampering forward motion, or making it take any different input to the gas or clutch than what you would normally do on flat ground.
Seriously it just works, it definitely doesn't hold you in place once you start moving.
Appreciate 0