THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i vs Genesis Coupe

04-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
dphjr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i

M235i vs Genesis Coupe

As I near closer to my next car purchase, quite a few people have tried steering me towards a gen coupe. Now I know the Bimmer is more refined, but a 350hp 3.8L v6 with nav, brembos and a torsen LSD for just under 30k is quite tempting. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphjr View Post
As I near closer to my next car purchase, quite a few people have tried steering me towards a gen coupe. Now I know the Bimmer is more refined, but a 350hp 3.8L v6 with nav, brembos and a torsen LSD for just under 30k is quite tempting. Any thoughts?
A good friend of mine is a driving instructor for Porsche Car Club of America and a few other entities; his daily driver/track demo car is a Genesis Coupe Track. Let's just say he salivates unabashedly over my car -- and it's "just" a 228i.

The biggest problem with the Genesis Coupe is the severe lack of aftermarket items available for it. Despite the stonking engine and unsprung hardware (brakes, suspension), virtually no one's bothered to develop anything for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Not to sound condescending but it's not even in the same performance class.
      04-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

It's a V6... there's a reason why BMW continues to build inline engines. Jump into the M235i with that smooth as silk N55 and you'll know why. Wonderful engine. Even better than the one it replaced, which was already an amazing piece of hardware.
      04-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
BMW GENIUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i 6MT

To me, I think almost every V6 I think sounds like Chewbacca from 5K and up.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Tempting price for what you get with the Genesis. It is also a lot cheaper to maintain. That being said im sure if you test drive both cars, you will get a BMW

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Tempting it is...a nice looking package. Having said that...it is about as quick or a tad slower than the 228i and has almost 100 more horses. It has somewhat poor fuel economy to boot. Never driven one so I cant judge it completely but based on acceleration and fuel economy alone I dont think the low entry price would be able to sway me. If that is what you can afford then I am sure it would be a great option.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
blanquito
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Can you expand on this?

No doubt fit and finish are on different levels; but on paper they seem like they could be rather similar, which I think is what the original poster is more inquiring about.
      04-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

If you wanted a RWD performance car on a budget I would look at the new Mustang long before I considered the Hyundai.

I was looking at the Gen Coupe before I got my F30 and after test driving it felt like it had the driving dynamics of a rental car. It felt as rewarding to drive as a Toyota Camry, even if it was capable of going very fast. I took the 235 out for 5 minutes and as soon as I felt how it reacted through a couple of turns you could easily tell how responsive the car was.

I would drive them both before worrying about what the Brembos and LSD add to the overall package. The Hyundai is a lot of content, but IMO it's in a mostly lifeless package.
      04-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
JKBM235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I found one online at a dealer in San Francisco Infinity with a msrp of $45,600 and the hp is 328 so maybe not such a great deal after all. Just sayin.
      04-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanquito View Post
Can you expand on this?

No doubt fit and finish are on different levels; but on paper they seem like they could be rather similar, which I think is what the original poster is more inquiring about.
I'll start, since I've driven a few (including the new-defunct Track model, which is now the R-Spec):

It IS in the same performance class, but isn't quite as good. It's is larger and heavier, and feels heavier. Handling is somewhat neutral but plodding. The Brembos are phenomenal. The engine is a beast, but the power band is relatively high up, so you have to keep the revs in the 3000-5500 range, and it's not a particularly quick-revving powerplant. Interior fit and finish is actually quite good -- earlier models have a purposeful starkness that remind me of the Supras of the late 1980s/early 90s. It comes standard with 19" wheels -- which can be a plus and a minus depending on your point of view -- but there are no optional packages (just three trim levels) and as stated in another post, a very limited aftermarket.

I shopped for one in 2011. Ended up going with a 370z, which out-performed the Genesis in every respect except for the brakes and ... back seat.
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #12
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanquito View Post
Can you expand on this?

+1 to Viffermike. Couldn't have answered it any better especially since he has behind the wheel experience.
      04-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #13
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW GENIUS
To me, I think almost every V6 I think sounds like Chewbacca from 5K and up.
      04-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Not condescending in the least. On the contrary comparing the two cars is downright insulting. I'm not knocking the Genesis coupe. It simply can't compare to an M235i, period. Imagine comparing the Hyudai Santa Fe with the Range Rover Evoque, absurd. I'd feel just as strong about that statement even if I didn't own an M235i. To anyone who's contemplating purchasing a Genesis coupe or an M235i, the Genesis coupe is the right car for you.

When I owned my 350Z's and my 370Z, they were nice fun cars to drive but they didn't compare to Porcshe Cayman's and Boxster's and I was cool with that. A Porsche is a Porsche and a BMW is a BMW. Nothing else on the road drives like a BMW. The term "Ultimate Driving Machine" is so much more than a slogan. It actually says something about they way BMW's drive.

Last edited by 1ChrisRuck; 04-17-2015 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Let me add to Viffermike's comments. I thought I'd be the only to say something positive about the comparison but he has offered a good analysis. Is it in the same class as the BMW, no. That said, I think it is a fair car to cross shop with the 2 series. The 2013+ Gen coupe models are actually pretty decent depending on what you're looking for. If it is solely bang for the buck, I'd say the Hyundai actually wins. BUT you compromise quite a bit. If you track it, great, but as a daily driver, it's a rough ride. Practicality is terrible. Much smaller back seat than the 2. Also good luck with any real use of the trunk. Gas mileage is much worse. 16/25 if I recall. And the BMW fit and finish is MUCH better on the Bimmer. Go sit in the Hyundai and you'll feel the difference. You can get a fully loaded Hyundai in the low 30s. Comparably equipped, even the 228i will be at least 10k more. That said, I couldn't get past that cheap feeling (and I was very open minded as I appreciate bang for the buck). It comes down to what you want. A quick car with lots of options at a reasonable price, or a similarly quick, but refined car that you won't hesitate enjoying getting into every day. I chose the refinement, and I'm sure if I had gone with the Hyundai, I'd be questioning my decision every day. With the BMW, I don't.
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #16
RDKing2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2004 M3

I agree with the post above and the other about it being in a totally different class. We cross shopped the Genesis. The 235 feels more powerful, much sportier and by comparison very refined to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 12:31 AM   #17
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

If you only care about performance and value for money. Sure, the Hyundai wins hands down. BUT buying a car not that simple.

For me, a young guy who just graduated university for a couple of years. The 2 Series seems to be the perfect car for a gift to myself for the years of hard work and the start of a professional career.

I want a car that's fun to drive, rear wheel drive and the 6 speed manual does that perfectly.
I also want it to look hot and sexy, estroil blue with sport line on a 2 series is absolutely stunning.
Most importantly, for most young guys from a middle class background. We want to spark some jealousy among our peers, as well as be as attractive as possible to women.
The BMW badge and the sporty coupe looks is a clear win against the Hyundai Genesis coupe.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2015, 12:38 AM   #18
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire
If you only care about performance and value for money. Sure, the Hyundai wins hands down. BUT buying a car not that simple.

For me, a young guy who just graduated university for a couple of years. The 2 Series seems to be the perfect car for a gift to myself for the years of hard work and the start of a professional career.

I want a car that's fun to drive, rear wheel drive and the 6 speed manual does that perfectly.
I also want it to look hot and sexy, estroil blue with sport line on a 2 series is absolutely stunning.
Most importantly, for most young guys from a middle class background. We want to spark some jealousy among our peers, as well as be as attractive as possible to women.
The BMW badge and the sporty coupe looks is a clear win against the Hyundai Genesis coupe.
Well said! I am in the exact position as you
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #19
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post

That being said, I would say at least 50% of the 2 series I've seen on the road are piloted by buttoned down professional-looking middle aged women. Who nevertheless seem to be enjoying themselves thoroughly
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #20
dc2112fan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i VO

I actually just sold my Genesis Coupe for my 228i back in January. It was a 2013 3.8 Gran Touring model, not the track, or R-Spec. I drove it for 2 years and loved it except I grew tired of the gray exterior color. The only real issue I ever had with it was the technology could've worked a touch better. Specifically, I had issues with my phone not automatically pairing with the car on startup. It wasn't platform specific either as I had windows, android and ios phones all during that two years. Always thought it was strange my wife's Sonata never fails to connect. So far, the BMW hasn't failed me once.

Even though my 228i is rated over 100HP lower than my Genesis I don't notice the difference at all. I'm guessing that's the around 500 lb. weight difference and the torque hitting at lower RPMs. It feels every bit as fast, to me in a straight line, but really notice the difference when I toss it into a curve. The BMW is just far superior there. I would imagine the M235i to be even more so. The throttle seems smoother as well. The interior of the Genesis is very nice in my opinion, although I think the leather in the BMW is a bit softer, and there is a bit more of it.

The prices were nearly identical for me, but that's because I got such a ridiculous deal on a 2014 that the dealer really needed to move. In the end, I'm very happy with my decision. I would never disparage the Genesis Coupe, but I was looking for a bit more refinement and class, and the BMW has that.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #21
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post

Hmmm. I sure hope you don't speak for "most" young guys from a middle class background.

I'd stick with your first statement...fun to drive rear wheel drive and 6 speed. Thats a solid statement.

As for the statements about V-6s...while i love straight 6s, there are plenty of fantastic V-6s: GT-R, S4, the new Ford GT, just to name a few.

Genesis looks nice, drives ok. If you have the extra money to spend on the Bimmer of course you get the 2 series. If you don't the Genesis is pretty decent for around 30k.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #22
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
Hmmm. I sure hope you don't speak for "most" young guys from a middle class background.

I'd stick with your first statement...fun to drive rear wheel drive and 6 speed. Thats a solid statement.

As for the statements about V-6s...while i love straight 6s, there are plenty of fantastic V-6s: GT-R, S4, the new Ford GT, just to name a few.

Genesis looks nice, drives ok. If you have the extra money to spend on the Bimmer of course you get the 2 series. If you don't the Genesis is pretty decent for around 30k.
I should change my words to "style-conscious young guys from a middle class background."
Appreciate 0