THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum stage 1 for a m235x BMS/afe... I know,...

04-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Rickson
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe Black sapphire

stage 1 for a m235x BMS/afe... I know,...

Hi everybody,

I am about to get a m235xi within a few days. I know the subjet has been beaten to death and I read all what I could ... however I never find converging answers based on facts and not opinion often given by people who just write what they read somewhere.... with many contradictions...

So I have a few precise questions and hope precise answers if possible based on facts...

1) Can I run the afe scrotcher with 91 octane and is it possible to remove it such that it is totally impossible for a dealer to see the car has been flashed? Else : -What about 'shadow codes' or the need to clear codes with an CAN tools before going to the dealer?

2) exactly the same question for BMS stage 1.

3) what is the main drawback of JB4 vs Stage 1 while the price difference is small and BMS claim is it just plug and play on a totally stock car. Otherwise exactly the same question than 1) and 2)

Than you very much.

(sorry for my english I speak french )
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickson View Post
Hi everybody,

I am about to get a m235xi within a few days. I know the subjet has been beaten to death and I read all what I could ... however I never find converging answers based on facts and not opinion often given by people who just write what they read somewhere.... with many contradictions...

So I have a few precise questions and hope precise answers if possible based on facts...

1) Can I run the afe scrotcher with 91 octane and is it possible to remove it such that it is totally impossible for a dealer to see the car has been flashed? Else : -What about 'shadow codes' or the need to clear codes with an CAN tools before going to the dealer?

2) exactly the same question for BMS stage 1.

3) what is the main drawback of JB4 vs Stage 1 while the price difference is small and BMS claim is it just plug and play on a totally stock car. Otherwise exactly the same question than 1) and 2)

Than you very much.

(sorry for my english I speak french )

Hi,
Jb, JB4 and the Scorcher should not leave any codes once they are removed. Never heard of anyone getting caught having a tune when it was already removed off the car, so i would not be too worried about it.
Jb4 also works on a completely stock car, it offers smoother power delivery, more safety features, lets you control boost by RPM, also datalogging, code reading and deleting.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi,
.....Jb4 also works on a completely stock car, it offers smoother power delivery, more safety features, lets you control boost by RPM, also datalogging, code reading and deleting.
I was just about to place an order for a BMS Stage 1, and I see this.

My car shall remain completely stock (motor-wise) except for the tune, and run 94 octane.

Cost is not an issue, but ease/simplicity/speed of installation is important.I just want to plug and forget it.

I don't need data logging, code reading or deleting.

However, if the JB4 offers smoother power delivery and more safety features (??lets you control boost by RPM ??), maybe I should reconsider.

Would the EWG and FF connectors be advantageous on an otherwise stock car?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Béhème View Post
I was just about to place an order for a BMS Stage 1, and I see this.

My car shall remain completely stock (motor-wise) except for the tune, and run 94 octane.

Cost is not an issue, but ease/simplicity/speed of installation is important.I just want to plug and forget it.

I don't need data logging, code reading or deleting.

However, if the JB4 offers smoother power delivery and more safety features (??lets you control boost by RPM ??), maybe I should reconsider.

Would the EWG and FF connectors be advantageous on an otherwise stock car?
Yes the JB4 lets you control your boost by rpm rather than just adding a set amount of boost across the board ( example screenshot shown below).
FF wires are now included in all the new JB4 boards so no need to purchase them separately.
FF wires are recommended for all cars with EWG.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Rickson
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi,
Jb, JB4 and the Scorcher should not leave any codes once they are removed. Never heard of anyone getting caught having a tune when it was already removed off the car, so i would not be too worried about it.
Jb4 also works on a completely stock car, it offers smoother power delivery, more safety features, lets you control boost by RPM, also datalogging, code reading and deleting.
Thank you . What about 91oct on afe ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you . What about 91oct on afe ?
Not sure what the question is, but if you are comparing it to the BMS products, the AFE one is similar to the Jb stage 1.
I prefer the stage 1 because you can increase the boost if you wish.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
Rickson
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what the question is, but if you are comparing it to the BMS products, the AFE one is similar to the Jb stage 1.
I prefer the stage 1 because you can increase the boost if you wish.
The question was if the tune is safe for 91oct. We can read on several it might be not the case... once again not based on facts....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The question was if the tune is safe for 91oct. We can read on several it might be not the case... once again not based on facts....
I know AFE recommend 93 octane but im sure you can run it on 91 octane as well.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
Rickson
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot for the answers. I just put a deposit for the car. So which map exactly do you advice for a bone stock m235xi auto with NO others mods planned, MPE exhaust and only 91 oct?
DO you advice to buy other cables and a device to clean codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #10
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

I would like to know as well.

On the JB4, if I run XXX map, aren't the parameters already set for boost, timing, fuel etc ???? if we change the parameters,cant that screw up the science of the mixture(boost,fuel,timing) ???

also, i have same question on bone stock M235i, if we add JB4 , using 93 octane, what maps can i run ??? and what maps could i run ? meaning, if i run map 7 per say, and it suggest higher octane 95+, can i run it without engine knock, detonation ? or will it not run properly at all.

lastly, whats the power output of each map on the JB4 ?

lastly lastly,

the JB4 seems like its a little involved for install, meaning to install & remove it to go to dealer seems like a pain in the arse!!!

what circumstance do we have to take the car to dealer for ? besides maintenance?
and also, if dealer includes maintenance, thats a pin in the arse to remover the JB4 for every oil change etcc... or do ppl just pay for thier own oil changes and bypass dealer.??
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Rickson
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schybrid View Post
I would like to know as well.

On the JB4, if I run XXX map, aren't the parameters already set for boost, timing, fuel etc ???? if we change the parameters,cant that screw up the science of the mixture(boost,fuel,timing) ???

also, i have same question on bone stock M235i, if we add JB4 , using 93 octane, what maps can i run ??? and what maps could i run ? meaning, if i run map 7 per say, and it suggest higher octane 95+, can i run it without engine knock, detonation ? or will it not run properly at all.

lastly, whats the power output of each map on the JB4 ?

lastly lastly,

the JB4 seems like its a little involved for install, meaning to install & remove it to go to dealer seems like a pain in the arse!!!

what circumstance do we have to take the car to dealer for ? besides maintenance?
and also, if dealer includes maintenance, thats a pin in the arse to remover the JB4 for every oil change etcc... or do ppl just pay for thier own oil changes and bypass dealer.??
I think a sticky would be useful.

For a 'plug n play' device there are several questions without clear answers,,,,
Appreciate 0