THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum "Let clutch cool"

05-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #45
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
Being in gear with clutch fully depressed would have flywheel side of clutch rotating at engine speed and rear friction plate being pressed back toward transmission with linear pressure on the throw-out bearing - I'm not a tech so when saying linear pressure I mean no twisting forces on trans side of clutch but hydraulic rearward pressure on the throw-out bearing.
Not quite...

The flywheel/pressure plate assembly is rotating at engine speed at all times. The throwout bearing is pressing against the fingers of the spinning pressure plate to release the friction disc from between the flywheel surface and the pressure plate surface. Therefore, even stopped in gear with the clutch pedal depressed, the throwout bearing is being spun at engine speed. While it's not typically thousands of RPM, it is at idle speed and for minutes of that at a time instead of fractions of seconds during shifts, I'd expect significantly more wear.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #46
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Uridian - thanks for the explanation - I was describing what I thought happens and not what happens - I wanted someone to correct how I imagined it works.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #47
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

So if the clutch pedal isn't being pushed down but my foot is on it (between shifts - from a stand still - 2nd to 3rd etc), this isn't a good thing??

Foot should always be on dead pedal unless I am physically shifting. Correct?

I'm a young guy and this is only my second manual car (11 e90 before the 2), so go easy on me.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #48
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
So if the clutch pedal isn't being pushed down but my foot is on it (between shifts - from a stand still - 2nd to 3rd etc), this isn't a good thing??

I'm a young guy and this is only my second manual car (11 e90 before the 2), so go easy on me.
We old guys exist to help you young guys, so no worries. Yes, only touch clutch pedal when actually shifting. It's a bad thing to have any pressure/contact with the pedal at other times. Left foot should be on dead pedal or floor as you prefer. Bet you never get the warning message this way!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #49
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Just a bad habit I developed when driving on the i95 in heavy traffic.

Have been conscious of it the last week or so, and now I just leave my left foot on the dead pedal unless shifting.

So far, the light has yet to come back on!
Thats great news. I suspect it won't come back on.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #50
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:

Yep, you got it.

When driving a manual, it's worth knowing how a clutch works. In contrast to an automatic, there are some seemingly benign behaviors that can result in a greatly shortened life span of the clutch mechanism. Have a look at this YouTube video:

Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0