THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Manual v automatic

11-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #45
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant5321 View Post
I drove both cars this past weekend. They had both the automatic and manual at a BMW dealer near me. I loved both cars, but I have to say it was pretty annoying in the automatic when I wanted to downshift it wouldn't go down. That was one of the main problems with my Mercedes, you could use flappy paddles, but to the car it was more of a suggestion of the gear rather that a demand. I am also going to order my car.I wanted to wait for the 2015/2016 M2, but I think it is too far off for me. I read a post that it wouldn't be out until 2016 for the US.
Were you trying to do a downshift that was going to overrun the engine?

The ZF8 has absolutely no issues with downshifts - they are quick and happen when you want. The only time the car will no down shift is if you are going to do something bad to the engine. If this wasn't the case, there may have been a problem with the paddle.
      11-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #46
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Were you trying to do a downshift that was going to overrun the engine?

The ZF8 has absolutely no issues with downshifts - they are quick and happen when you want. The only time the car will no down shift is if you are going to do something bad to the engine. If this wasn't the case, there may have been a problem with the paddle.
Will the auto just disregard any downshift that will over-rev or will it delay until the downshift is safe and does the auto blip the throttle?
Can you flick the shift-paddle three times on a straight with a floored throttle and as you slow for a turn will those three earlier shift-paddle flicks automatically go through when the speeds are appropriate?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #47
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Will the auto just disregard any downshift that will over-rev or will it delay until the downshift is safe and does the auto blip the throttle?
Can you flick the shift-paddle three times on a straight with a floored throttle and as you slow for a turn will those three earlier shift-paddle flicks automatically go through when the speeds are appropriate?
Will the auto just disregard any downshift that will over-rev or will it delay until the downshift is safe and does the auto blip the throttle? YES

Can you flick the shift-paddle three times on a straight with a floored throttle and as you slow for a turn will those three earlier shift-paddle flicks automatically go through when the speeds are appropriate? YES, for example, I'm in 8th doing highway speeds (70mph) and shift to 5th to pass all the time, so accellerator near the floor, bang,bang,bang and I'm flying.

First gear seems to be the only gear its ever hesitant about
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #48
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
If downshifting will already put you into the top of the powerband then it's pointless to do it, so I've never tried to then see what would happen.

Throttle position has nothing to do with the ability to shift, but in reality you want to downshift and THEN floor it. More importantly, if you have to drop 3 gears it would be faster to floor the car past the kick down point, let it auto downshift to the correct gear and then you're accelerating at max velocity.

If you are driving the car with the paddles you should shift them just like you were shifting with a manual transmission. If you don't know how to drive a manual transmission then I suppose it brings up why some of these weird questions are being asked.
      11-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #49
pw4
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 230i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw4 View Post
...Only downside of the auto is a 2500rpm gap between 2nd and 3rd. No worry in straight acceleration, but it's inconsistent when you're balancing the car on the throttle through tight bends. The higher gears are more closely and evenly spaced. On the plus side, the engine blip down into 2nd sounds really nice. :-) I haven't checked if the 228i and M235i have the same ratios.
Correction: the gap between 2nd and 3rd at high-ish revs (say around 6000rpm) is 1500rpm, not 2500rpm as I stated below. The gaps 3-4 and 4-5 are only about 700rpm, for comparison. The 2-3 gap is only a problem on very tight roads (which I was on) as 2nd gear isn't much higher than 1st in the manual.
Appreciate 0