THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum First Service Question and Warranty in Regards to Winter Wheels

11-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

First Service Question and Warranty in Regards to Winter Wheels

I have a few questions for you guys

1: Computer seems to pinpoint service at 11,500 miles, does this sound correct? I thought it was every 10,000 miles.

2: Will they adjust the emergency brake under warranty if I ask them to do it when I bring it in?

3: One of my speakers is blown out (was like that when I first got the car). Would they cover that?

4:Will they void my corrosion/suspension warranty for using aftermarket BBS wheels and 215/50R17 tires if I bring the car in with that combination?

5: Also, I coded the office function into my headunit. Should I remove that before I bring it in for service?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEBreh View Post
I have a few questions for you guys

1: Computer seems to pinpoint service at 11,500 miles, does this sound correct? I thought it was every 10,000 miles.

2: Will they adjust the emergency brake under warranty if I ask them to do it when I bring it in?

3: One of my speakers is blown out (was like that when I first got the car). Would they cover that?

4:Will they void my corrosion/suspension warranty for using aftermarket BBS wheels and 215/50R17 tires if I bring the car in with that combination?

5: Also, I coded the office function into my headunit. Should I remove that before I bring it in for service?

Thanks
1) The car has a usage-based system. You may get additional mileage on your interval due to more highway usage. Trust the indicator which illuminates in the cluster.

2) If the parking brake does not seem to be functioning properly, they should bring it back to its proper function under warranty if the car is under warranty.

3) If the car is under warranty, the speaker should be covered. (Based on your questions, was this a used car?)

4) No. There is no issue, unless you are complaining about a defect in the wheel which they did not supply. I am running BBS SR wheels for 3 seasons, and the service advisor merely mentioned that he thought they looked very good. Your tire size, which is also my winter tire size, is well within the accepted variation for overall outer diameter.

5) Sorry, not familiar.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEBreh View Post

Thanks
Don't bother. I had Office coded into my car as well. I went in for a software issue and they ended up doing a software update - they didn't mention it, and I still have Office after the update. Honestly they aren't gonna even think about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
4) No. There is no issue, unless you are complaining about a defect in the wheel which they did not supply. I am running BBS SR wheels for 3 seasons, and the service advisor merely mentioned that he thought they looked very good. Your tire size, which is also my winter tire size, is well within the accepted variation for overall outer diameter.
I would be more careful re: aftermarket wheels/tires, EVEN is the wheels is an OEM model (like the 442M from 3/4-series, but used in the M235i. Of course this is ridiculous, but my dealer has openly said that if I use a wheel/tire combination not present in their M235i catalogue of parts - even if the size(s) have been adopted absolutely correctly - I might have warranty problems. I was really shocked to hear that, and when I asked which part of the BMW warranty could be questioned - he went as far as to answer "well, he knows for a fact that when a gearbox developed a problem, the first question was whether the factory supplied wheels and tires had only been used on the car all the time". Should a customer give a "wrong" answer - this bunch of BMW greedy spies refused to repair/replace his gearbox under warranty coverage - can you believe that ?!!
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
I would be more careful re: aftermarket wheels/tires, EVEN is the wheels is an OEM model (like the 442M from 3/4-series, but used in the M235i. Of course this is ridiculous, but my dealer has openly said that if I use a wheel/tire combination not present in their M235i catalogue of parts - even if the size(s) have been adopted absolutely correctly - I might have warranty problems. I was really shocked to hear that, and when I asked which part of the BMW warranty could be questioned - he went as far as to answer "well, he knows for a fact that when a gearbox developed a problem, the first question was whether the factory supplied wheels and tires had only been used on the car all the time". Should a customer give a "wrong" answer - this bunch of BMW greedy spies refused to repair/replace his gearbox under warranty coverage - can you believe that ?!!
Sure can. As a consequence of similar behavior, the US passed the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act in 1975. Among other things, it prevents the manufacturer from denying warranty coverage due to modifications unless it can show the modification contributed to the failure (requiring the owner to use specific brand items to maintain warranty coverage is expressly prohibited). So, if the wheel / tire set is within the appropriate range specified for the vehicle, the owner is OK.

Same goes for changes to the car outside of manufacturer's tolerances. If you tune the ECU and your car subsequently throws a rod, you'll find you have no warranty for that failure, as the increased engine power is a reasonable proximate cause for that type of failure. However, if you tune your car and the power seats stop working, your warranty on those items remains in effect, as the engine power output is unrelated to that type of failure..

Now, the value of that act to someone in Poland is, shall we say, pretty small.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi

Last edited by Zooks527; 11-24-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Sure can. As a consequence of similar behavior, the US passed the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act in 1975. Among other things, it prevents the manufacturer from denying warranty coverage due to modifications unless it can show the modification contributed to the failure (not simply "didn't meet our list"). It applies to multiple types of warranties, not simply car warranties.

Now, the value of that act to someone in Poland is, shall we say, pretty small.
Exactly. If the circumference of the wheel/tire assembly is within spec, it is of no technical consequence who manufactured them. Thank you Messrs. Magnuson and Moss!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0