THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Handbrake Not Biting I Think? -- Please Help!

11-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
2Banger
M POSTER
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2er

Handbrake Not Biting I Think? -- Please Help!

Hey guys!

I've noticed lately... When parking my car on a hill or slight slope...

Pop it into 'Park' and ill pull the handbrake up, and after i let go of my brake the car will either ROLL backwards/forwards depending on the angle

ALOT more then normal? Also getting out of my car when its on an angle it creaks?

----------------------------
Brake Rotors are abit dirty, doubt this would affect it? Also what do youy guys recommend for cleaning brake rotors?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Parking brake may need adjustment, but if you pull-up a bit more on the lever will it tighten up to the point the car stays put?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

The easiest way to test the parking brake (since you have an automatic which will lock itself) is to drive onto a reasonable incline with nobody else around ie parking lot or driveway, and then with your foot on the brake yank the Ebrake up as far as it will go and put the car into neutral. If it rolls (and you've legitmately pulled it up as far as it will go) then see the dealer for the parking brake adjustment.

Your rotors do not effect this. And rotors do not need to be cleaned - the act of braking cleans the rotor. The only time you should "clean" your rotors is to have them resurfaced after replacing the pads so that it eliminates the old brake pad residue that is bedded into the material.
      11-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I've experienced this also, with my car it is necessary to pull up on the hand brake forcefully to stop it from rolling on a hill. It has 3,000 miles on it now so the brakes should be all broken in. I think it may be a design "feature".
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
2Banger
M POSTER
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Parking brake may need adjustment, but if you pull-up a bit more on the lever will it tighten up to the point the car stays put?
hmm, yeah i pull it alll the way and still experience it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
The easiest way to test the parking brake (since you have an automatic which will lock itself) is to drive onto a reasonable incline with nobody else around ie parking lot or driveway, and then with your foot on the brake yank the Ebrake up as far as it will go and put the car into neutral. If it rolls (and you've legitmately pulled it up as far as it will go) then see the dealer for the parking brake adjustment.

Your rotors do not effect this. And rotors do not need to be cleaned - the act of braking cleans the rotor. The only time you should "clean" your rotors is to have them resurfaced after replacing the pads so that it eliminates the old brake pad residue that is bedded into the material.
I will try this, i dont think it would roll but it just feels like it takes longer then it should to bite down... But thanks for the rotor advice hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I've experienced this also, with my car it is necessary to pull up on the hand brake forcefully to stop it from rolling on a hill. It has 3,000 miles on it now so the brakes should be all broken in. I think it may be a design "feature".
It's a silly design feature if you ask me my friend hahaha. Do you ever notice if you park on slight hill or anything when you get out... you hear the suspension creak when you're getting out? Its happened afew times but yeah it's probably some silly design feature

Will get it all checked once i go in for next service, but just thought i'd ask to see if anybody else has this problem haha
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

My Mercedes had a similar emergency brake design in the rear hub like the BMW.
I always thought the little emergency brake drum in the rear was a product of Alpine terrain - that if your main double line disc brakes failed or if pads and rotors heated up to offer little braking power the rear emergency drum could slow the car down either from a steep incline or high-speed.
Appreciate 0