THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Technology package?

11-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #45
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Except that you would think it could handle more than 500 songs on a flash drive.

Seriously, my 2009 was able to do several thousand songs on a flash drive, as well as very long playlists. My 2015? Only reads the first 499 songs on the drive and the first 499 songs in a playlist.
Gee, I've got 4129 MP3 files on my USB flash drive and it all works fine. Maybe there's some issue with your flash drive or car. My MP3 files are distributed over 259 folders in a FAT32 filesystem. I haven't tried playlists. I like having the song order randomized.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #46
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDdrifter View Post
Gee, I've got 4129 MP3 files on my USB flash drive and it all works fine. Maybe there's some issue with your flash drive or car. My MP3 files are distributed over 259 folders in a FAT32 filesystem. I haven't tried playlists. I like having the song order randomized.
Struck me as odd as well, especially as it was supported on the 2009. However, if I bring in a FAT32 flash drive with 1100 songs in the root directory (using the drive that worked in my E92), the car will only show the first 499.

Well, 4 day weekend coming up. Maybe I can try doing something with subdirectories and see if that changes anything.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #47
exedba
Rep
Drives: 320i

Chasing Tech Package

Honestly, any tech package is not for me for two reasons.

1. Reason based on fact;

a. We now live in cloud era of the technology.
Automakers are incapable to keep at par the in-dash tech experience. Meaning the piece of technology get refreshed radically every 8-9 months on your smart devices. Which is not true for automobiles.

b. Matching technological lifestyles and needs in-pocket vs in-dash seems irrational to me. Except bluetooth hands free connectivity which i call true functionality.

c. Speed at which google, apple and Microsoft are rolling out in-pocked refreshes, it will be illogical to compare and get disappointed after spending $2000 on any car in-dash tech package.

d. Many automakers recently declared that money they invested for the in-house customized in-dash softwares, has drained. Because consumer expectations for in-dash tech are same as they have in their pocket and Google/Apple ad Microsoft have now penetrated into this segment.

e. When you pull your device (iphone/android) 6 months down the road after spending 2K on latest tech package, your in car technology package obviously is stale.

I can spend money on other features but not on tech gimmics. Any in-dash tech are not meant and won't attract me by any means in future. I scan and separate my needs vs wants AND functions vs features.

2. Reason based on personal preference:

I am tech guy and

a. Love to chase latest in tech world
b. Hate if I can't upgrade and stay at par with my in pocket gadgets.

It's just me folks.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #48
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

That's why it is an option. Yes, it is overpriced...like all options are.
Bigger screen with split screen for weather or whatever.
Navigation. Yes your android or iphone has nav as well. I have the tech package, I sometimes look up my destinations and simply send the link using google maps to the car from the comfort of my livingroom using my Nexus 5. I then place my phone in the center column where it streams high quality Spotify music through the USB to my HK sound system.
The instrument panel has a much bigger and fancier display as well. I once bought a used Audi without the extended instrument panel, it always bugged me. To me, the seats and the intrument panel view are very important since they affect your driving experience in a big way every single second you are in the car.
If you are buying your car for an investment (which is a futile act) then don't order any options. If you enjoy your car driving experience almost as an obsession, as I do, get what makes you happy. After all, life is short.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #49
Crowden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

The best reason for getting the NAV is the fact it'll show the road ahead, big and bold and easy to see at a glance. VERY nice for enthusiastic driving.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #50
an4691
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C in HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowden View Post
The best reason for getting the NAV is the fact it'll show the road ahead, big and bold and easy to see at a glance. VERY nice for enthusiastic driving.
True that! Almost every time I've come close to a collision is when I need to oh attention to the map on the phone. Mac gets you directions in the dash, it's amazing. Talking about the speed of tech changes in cars, case in point Tesla. I see their level of tech and and updates making it to other manufacturers soon. Also, I've used android auto and CarPlay and both kinda suck. The BMW system is actually good, I find the control knob very useful in that kind of cockpit design. A touchscreen won't lend itself very well to BMWs, imagine having to pull up all the way to touch the screen. Also fingerprints..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #51
Crowden
Private
Rep

Actually, the whole tech side of BMW in my 235 is pretty impressive. Either voice commands through the BMW system or Siri, whichever I want. And as long as I remember what the different functions are called, I can call them up verbally without taking my eyes off the road. Very nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #52
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3
Hi all,

Finalizing a configuration and really on the fence about the tech pkg. Is the navigation really worth it when I have a smartphone and am getting the enhanced Bluetooth option? What is this "instrument cluster with extended contents" really about?

Are there any other goodies tech pkg gives you that aren't listed on the website?
Get the NAV. And this advice comes from someone who has adamantly rejected paying for in car NAV systems in the past. The manner in which it integrates into the entire driving experience is second to none. It is by far the best and most well thought out NAV systems I have experienced. And while this may not be obvious from just reading about its functionality, I can tell you from personal experience that the NAV is a must have.
      12-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #53
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedba View Post
Honestly, any tech package is not for me for two reasons.

1. Reason based on fact;

a. We now live in cloud era of the technology.
Automakers are incapable to keep at par the in-dash tech experience. Meaning the piece of technology get refreshed radically every 8-9 months on your smart devices. Which is not true for automobiles.

b. Matching technological lifestyles and needs in-pocket vs in-dash seems irrational to me. Except bluetooth hands free connectivity which i call true functionality.

c. Speed at which google, apple and Microsoft are rolling out in-pocked refreshes, it will be illogical to compare and get disappointed after spending $2000 on any car in-dash tech package.

d. Many automakers recently declared that money they invested for the in-house customized in-dash softwares, has drained. Because consumer expectations for in-dash tech are same as they have in their pocket and Google/Apple ad Microsoft have now penetrated into this segment.

e. When you pull your device (iphone/android) 6 months down the road after spending 2K on latest tech package, your in car technology package obviously is stale.

I can spend money on other features but not on tech gimmics. Any in-dash tech are not meant and won't attract me by any means in future. I scan and separate my needs vs wants AND functions vs features.

2. Reason based on personal preference:

I am tech guy and

a. Love to chase latest in tech world
b. Hate if I can't upgrade and stay at par with my in pocket gadgets.

It's just me folks.
Yes, it's impractical for car companies to develop the equivalent of an iPhone (even once, much less every year). They will subcontract and partner to get iPhone-like functionality in their future cars. That's already happening in various ways. Phone developers see this as a huge opportunity and are even moving beyond phone functionality to provide car control automation (e.g., autopilot modes).

There's a lot of opportunity for shared functionality and consistent user experience between cars and phones. Some of that can be done by linking the two systems as via Bluetooth.

However, the requirements for many common functions (navigation, communication, music, …) are different between cars and phones.
  • Driving a car is a heads-up activity for which situational awareness is paramount and one hand needs to stay on the steering wheel.
  • Using a phone is mainly a heads-down activity which is best done with both hands.
While the common functions can share components they really need to be different in terms of user interfaces.

Today I don't see my iPhone as being a viable alternative to the Tech Package. I don't use my iPhone while driving, except for when I do calls using the Tech Package as my interface to the phone (I don't need to touch the phone to do this). When my wife is riding with me she just uses her iPhone rather than the car. Maybe in the future when the autopilot is engaged I can focus on my phone while riding in the drivers seat.

The Tech Package has other benefits as well, including appearance and presentation factors.

Of course, I bought this car because I enjoy driving it. For me the TP was a pleasant surprise bonus but not a major purchase decision factor. It lets me organize, play and display my existing music collection (which my iPhone can't do). I rarely use the nav function, and avoid external communications while driving. For me the TP and iPhone are both must haves.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #54
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

I have the Tech Package in our 228i. I use my iPhone in my Subaru Forrester. I much prefer using the Nav in the BMW over the iPhone. Driving in Los Angeles, the Real Time traffic and route change suggestions have saved me hours of drive time in the BMW. Maps and routes are much easier to read on the wide screen of the BMW and driving directions are right in front of you on the instrument display.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #55
rwjr44
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

This implementation of the Nav package is great. My advice is to open the wallet and buy it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #56
kindofblue
Gone electric
Rep
Drives: i4 40eDrive 3/31/23 & Mach e

It all depends

Hi all,
I think it really comes down to your needs/wants. I use a GPS primarily for trips and our Garmin Nuvi (w/lifetime map updates) allows me to create a route on my PC then download it to the GPS. Can you do that with an in-dash GPS system? So, for me, our $150 Garmin does the trick.

If, on the other hand, you are in a metropolitan area like L.A. you could probably benefit from real time traffic updates displayed on something larger than a smartphone.
      12-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #57
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
Hi all,
I think it really comes down to your needs/wants. I use a GPS primarily for trips and our Garmin Nuvi (w/lifetime map updates) allows me to create a route on my PC then download it to the GPS. Can you do that with an in-dash GPS system? So, for me, our $150 Garmin does the trick.
In theory - you can, get the route on your pc or phone and send it to the car. In practice, I haven't been able to get it to work, or any other 'marvel' of the Connected Drive package.
      12-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #58
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer View Post
In theory - you can, get the route on your pc or phone and send it to the car. In practice, I haven't been able to get it to work, or any other 'marvel' of the Connected Drive package.
When I first tried to send routes from Google maps on my phone there were a few issues. They now have a new version of BMW remote that works everytime. It is even great for finding POIs and sending them to the BMW Nav.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #59
Crowden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
When I first tried to send routes from Google maps on my phone there were a few issues. They now have a new version of BMW remote that works everytime. It is even great for finding POIs and sending them to the BMW Nav.
Realllly? That's interesting. I haven't really dipped my toe into that functionality at all. Do you have a link/reference for me to read up on it?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #60
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Realllly? That's interesting. I haven't really dipped my toe into that functionality at all. Do you have a link/reference for me to read up on it?
Go to Google Playstore or Apple store and download BMW Connected Drive and BMW Remote app. If I remember correctly they prompt you how to link your phone to the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #61
supernova72
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT, Silver/Coral

I looked for a year for the M235i (bought used 2014). Passed on one early that was close to me that was so close option wise but I wanted Nav. Finding a 6MT car with Nav on the used market was not easy but ultimately I've glad I waited until I found it.

Nav is user friendly with lots of features. Idrive is cool too and when I search on local restaurants and stuff it's super current on addresses etc.

Where I sort of messed up is NO backup camera or parking sensors. Oops. I see some threads where you can integrate that into the Nav. Need to do some more research on that. My E46 M3 had backup sensors and it was a big help. Backup camera would be a big +. My 02 cents!
Other rides
1985 GMC S-15 4X4 (dad's truck), 1972 Chevy Nova
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #62
Crowden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
I looked for a year for the M235i (bought used 2014). Passed on one early that was close to me that was so close option wise but I wanted Nav. Finding a 6MT car with Nav on the used market was not easy but ultimately I've glad I waited until I found it.

Nav is user friendly with lots of features. Idrive is cool too and when I search on local restaurants and stuff it's super current on addresses etc.

Where I sort of messed up is NO backup camera or parking sensors. Oops. I see some threads where you can integrate that into the Nav. Need to do some more research on that. My E46 M3 had backup sensors and it was a big help. Backup camera would be a big +. My 02 cents!
The camera and sensors do a nice job. The tech keeps improving. I thought the system on our Gen 7 GTI was quite good but the BMWs camera is much clearer in the evening. And the "you getting close, closerrr, you're REALLY close" alerts are great.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #63
minestro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Just do yourself a favor and order it. It is better to have it and use it (or not) than wishing you had it and you don't.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #64
supernova72
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT, Silver/Coral

Quote:
The camera and sensors do a nice job. The tech keeps improving. I thought the system on our Gen 7 GTI was quite good but the BMWs camera is much clearer in the evening. And the "you getting close, closerrr, you're REALLY close" alerts are great.
Yea, I'm about three months into the M235i and do miss not having the backup camera and sensors. Need to decided how much it's worth to me to "add" that pkg after the fact. Believe bimmertech and or car toys has a way to do it.
Other rides
1985 GMC S-15 4X4 (dad's truck), 1972 Chevy Nova
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #65
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

How u people spend over $40,000 on a luxury car and bitch about $2,000 high quality car infotainment system goes beyond me.. Next time get a Kia if you want more bang for your buck.. If you're lucky, it might not even have a FM radio!
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 02:05 AM   #66
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSumair View Post
How u people spend over $40,000 on a luxury car and bitch about $2,000 high quality car infotainment system goes beyond me.. Next time get a Kia if you want more bang for your buck.. If you're lucky, it might not even have a FM radio!
Same reasoning would apply on not checking every option on the build sheet. Why spend money if you don't see the value? I got it because I use navi a lot, and I like reading news on connected drive when stopped in traffic. But is it worth 2 grand? Not really, but I was on the fence.
Appreciate 0