THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Considering a 228i

11-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #23
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
It's a must have option if only for the tires and and the brakes.
Somewhat. But I wouldn't call it 'must-have', gentlemen. GSR opted for a non-THP 228 as its racer mule, and the stock brakes have proven more than adequate for track use. Yes, the THP brakes look better and are likely slightly easier to service since they're a non-floating design, but they weigh more (and this is unsprung weight, mind you) and are probably good for no more than 5-6 feet of stopping distance from 60mph.

The tires? Just replace the RFTs, whenever. The non-THP wheels are far better looking anyway.

The adaptive suspension? Debatable, but the system isn't easily replaceable in any capacity (though it's programmable via Dinan; I'll give it that). The variable-ratio steering? Few feel it's an improvement, and some say it worsens what is the 2-series' biggest weakness: steering feel.

Is the THP a bargain with M Sport? Definitely. Is it a must-have? For someone on a budget (both the OP and I are), other things can and should be prioritized, depending on the car's end use and modification plans.

(Do I regret not ordering THP? Some, sure. But not much.)
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #24
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Somewhat. But I wouldn't call it 'must-have', gentlemen. GSR opted for a non-THP 228 as its racer mule, and the stock brakes have proven more than adequate for track use. Yes, the THP brakes look better and are likely slightly easier to service since they're a non-floating design, but they weigh more (and this is unsprung weight, mind you) and are probably good for no more than 5-6 feet of stopping distance from 60mph.

The tires? Just replace the RFTs, whenever. The non-THP wheels are far better looking anyway.

The adaptive suspension? Debatable, but the system isn't easily replaceable in any capacity (though it's programmable via Dinan; I'll give it that). The variable-ratio steering? Few feel it's an improvement, and some say it worsens what is the 2-series' biggest weakness: steering feel.

Is the THP a bargain with M Sport? Definitely. Is it a must-have? For someone on a budget (both the OP and I are), other things can and should be prioritized, depending on the car's end use and modification plans.

(Do I regret not ordering THP? Some, sure. But not much.)
Thanks, this is a good list of THP-related considerations. I opted to buy a 228 M Sport without THP. If I could have test driven a 228 with THP maybe I would have liked it better. Maybe not. I'm very happy with the M Sport suspension. It feels comparable to the suspension on my old E46 coupe, which also lowered the car by 10mm.

When I custom ordered my 228, the BMW salesman warned me that THP adversely affected the steering and that the Premium Package added a lot of weight. I don't intend to track the car so I passed on THP. I've never had power seats (except in rental cars) so I passed on that too. I wanted a small nimble sporty DD car, not a luxury or track car.

The 228's steering is not as good as on the E46. (Drive-by-wire has cost and efficiency advantages over hydraulic, so it's becoming pervasive, but it provides no real feedback. Instead, software tries to simulate steering feedback.) Still, the steering on the 228 M Sport is quite good IMO. I've driven many many rental cars (having logged nearly 5 million real frequent flyer miles) and I'd say that the 228 steering is well above average.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #25
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDdrifter View Post
Thanks, this is a good list of THP-related considerations. I opted to buy a 228 M Sport without THP. If I could have test driven a 228 with THP maybe I would have liked it better. Maybe not. I'm very happy with the M Sport suspension. It feels comparable to the suspension on my old E46 coupe, which also lowered the car by 10mm.

When I custom ordered my 228, the BMW salesman warned me that THP adversely affected the steering and that the Premium Package added a lot of weight. I don't intend to track the car so I passed on THP. I've never had power seats (except in rental cars) so I passed on that too. I wanted a small nimble sporty DD car, not a luxury or track car.

The 228's steering is not as good as on the E46. (Drive-by-wire has cost and efficiency advantages over hydraulic, so it's becoming pervasive, but it provides no real feedback. Instead, software tries to simulate steering feedback.) Still, the steering on the 228 M Sport is quite good IMO. I've driven many many rental cars (having logged nearly 5 million real frequent flyer miles) and I'd say that the 228 steering is well above average.
Hear, hear!

All I added to my M sport was Lighting, Cold Weather, and Tech -- none of which adds much weight. Non-RFTs will go on once the stock tires are worn (already at 7/32 tread at 5,350 miles, hehe), and I'm still on the fence regarding a spring upgrade -- a reason why I didn't want the active suspension. I do miss creature comforts such as keyless entry that came with the 2015 Premium Package -- but, as it turns out, not having it saved me a $200 pair of Ray-Bans recently (someone went through my building's parking garage with a transponder; almost every car with KE was broken into. Designer sunglasses were the primary target.)

Anyway ... to each their own. I just don't feel that THP is a must-have, 'cause it wasn't for me!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #26
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Hear, hear!

All I added to my M sport was Lighting, Cold Weather, and Tech -- none of which adds much weight. Non-RFTs will go on once the stock tires are worn (already at 7/32 tread at 5,350 miles, hehe), and I'm still on the fence regarding a spring upgrade -- a reason why I didn't want the active suspension. I do miss creature comforts such as keyless entry that came with the 2015 Premium Package -- but, as it turns out, not having it saved me a $200 pair of Ray-Bans recently (someone went through my building's parking garage with a transponder; almost every car with KE was broken into. Designer sunglasses were the primary target.)

Anyway ... to each their own. I just don't feel that THP is a must-have, 'cause it wasn't for me!
I went for Lighting and Tech packages too. They are great. I passed on Cold Weather simply because I never had it before. I got the DAP for the back up camera. I once backed my E46 bumper into a low stone wall that couldn't be seen through the rear window. The camera also lets you see in the dark when backing up at night. However, I don't trust the Park Distance Control yet. The graphic and sounds it makes are alarming even when the front bumper easily clears something, so I find it useless so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #27
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

The 228i has a pretty slow and terrible throttle response for downshift rev matching for manual transmission.
I had my 228i for 8 month and have recently changed to m235i. The 228i will not be missed one bit.
M235i is a lot faster to rev up. It's engine starts and idles without any vibration. And the power delivery is silk smooth.
The n20 engine is disappointing. I will not buy a 228i. I think the VW makes better 2 liter engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #28
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

My e46 323ci was a more fun car than the 228i.
It was more responsive and engine sound 10 times better.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #29
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
The 228i has a pretty slow and terrible throttle response for downshift rev matching for manual transmission.
I had my 228i for 8 month and have recently changed to m235i. The 228i will not be missed one bit.
M235i is a lot faster to rev up. It's engine starts and idles without any vibration. And the power delivery is silk smooth.
The n20 engine is disappointing. I will not buy a 228i. I think the VW makes better 2 liter engine.
It isn't nearly as bad as the 370z I had. That motor pretty much hates to rev. It's no wonder Nissan saw fit to make it one of the first production cars to have rev matching for a manual. (And mine didn't have that feature.)

For a blown four, the 228i's power delivery is quite smooth. I've only driven the VW/Audi 2.0 in short bursts (2015 GTi, Audi TT, Audi A3), so I can't compare with tremendous authority, but from what I remember it does rev more readily but can be peaky -- and FWD exacerbates that. Comparing either to the N55 six just isn't fair in that regard. Not going to argue with you regarding the sound, but that's largely subjective anyway (and correctable, to an extent).

As I said before; to each their own. I'm personally not really six-cylinder 'guy' ; I've only owned three (Jeep Wrangler, 370z, '76 280z -- my first car). I find the N20 to 'behave' like a six the best out of any four I've ever driven -- including the bigger-bore boxer in the WRX (which I've also owned).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #30
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
It isn't nearly as bad as the 370z I had. That motor pretty much hates to rev. It's no wonder Nissan saw fit to make it one of the first production cars to have rev matching for a manual. (And mine didn't have that feature.)

For a blown four, the 228i's power delivery is quite smooth. I've only driven the VW/Audi 2.0 in short bursts (2015 GTi, Audi TT, Audi A3), so I can't compare with tremendous authority, but from what I remember it does rev more readily but can be peaky -- and FWD exacerbates that. Comparing either to the N55 six just isn't fair in that regard. Not going to argue with you regarding the sound, but that's largely subjective anyway (and correctable, to an extent).

As I said before; to each their own. I'm personally not really six-cylinder 'guy' ; I've only owned three (Jeep Wrangler, 370z, '76 280z -- my first car). I find the N20 to 'behave' like a six the best out of any four I've ever driven -- including the bigger-bore boxer in the WRX (which I've also owned).
I concur. For my kind of city driving (Los Angeles) a turbocharged four is very suitable. And it's an extremely capable powerplant: 100 mph comes up at only 4K rpm so it can be driven fast on the highways with no fuss or drama. It's a superb car.

Last edited by BarryJI; 11-23-2015 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0