THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery hmm, 3 weeks today and no information?

09-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Fusion

hmm, 3 weeks today and no information?

You folks ever seen anything like this?

day 1 - Deposit & handshake & delivery estimate of 6 - 8 weeks.

day 8 - Email from salesperson (I had asked for an update on his phone recorder and was hoping their was a production number) - "I just got finished listening to your VM and it is still in the order bank. So no change on build date yet. They won't move it to a build date until they have all the parts for the build. I should know something soon (only updated on Tuesday) but I'll keep you posted every Tuesday unil it gets here."

day 15 - Email from salesperson - "Weekly update- Your M235 is still in the order bank so they must be waiting on something. If it hasn't moved by next week we will call the factory rep to see whats going on"

day 16 - After I asked why not call the rep and find out , Email from salesperson - "Rep wouldn't know anything yet, that's why we need to give him another week."

Sometimes with big companies / language barriers / geographical barriers, it is hard to get timely information so maybe everything is legit & I just need to be a bit trusting and patient. However this seems strange & I haven't read of another buyer running into similar circumstances, so it seemed reasonable to ask if stuff like this happens with BMW orders now and then.

If stuff like this does happen on occasion then perhaps reading about it will save the next customer a little frustration.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
dave235
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i on order

Do you have a production number yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Is this your first BMW order? Are you familiar with how the allocation system works?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave235 View Post
Do you have a production number yet?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Is this your first BMW order? Are you familiar with how the allocation system works?
Yes on this being my first BMW car order.

I think I am familiar with the allocation system, primarily from reading what I found so far on this site, but could be mistaken. If there is an allocation issue here I suppose it means that I'm being led down the primrose path. I'm hoping it is a parts issue or similar factory issue as stated in my salespersons emails but am wondering if it is not.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

You should have a production number. I ordered mine on Aug 16 and got a production number that same day. It did take sometime for my car to enter production though.I was told about 6 weeks when I ordered and I am right on track so far
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The above is true. If your dealer is being straight with you, you would have a production number. Every allocation put into the order bank will receive a production number even if it isn't scheduled for production for a month. No production number = no order in the bank.

My car is currently in production (started last week - scheduled for completion on the 18th). No mention of parts not being available...

6-8 weeks is the "general" delivery time for an order because most cars have ample allocations. So, when you order, there's a car already about to go into production that can be used and it takes about six weeks to be built, trucked to port, shipped, inspected and transported to dealer.

I think your sales person is just stringing you along.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

This is really a handy forum.

Ok, very simple. Tomorrow I walk in and ask about the number.

If I walk out with the number then it is all good (and I'm probably a putz for the confusion).

No number & the other guy is the putz & I have decisions to make.

Thank you all for your insights.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSALIMITED
This is really a handy forum.

Ok, very simple. Tomorrow I walk in and ask about the number.

If I walk out with the number then it is all good (and I'm probably a putz for the confusion).

No number & the other guy is the putz & I have decisions to make.

Thank you all for your insights.
They are screwing with you and they don't have an allocation and just waiting for one meanwhile you are sticking with them and not going to a different dealer.

They are probably waiting for the end of the month to get more allocations maybe for October or November

If the dealer has an allocation they would have a production number. They just put you on a list and who knows how many other people are ahead of you in that list

Sorry to be harsh but it is what it is
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
vh2720
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230xi

That is what happened to me. Here was my timeline: Day 1: Handshake and assurance I would get a production number in a few days. Day 47: Receipt of production number. Up to then, I was getting the same lines you are getting. I did ask on this forum whether I was getting the runaround and a dealer responded that allocations for the 2 are hard to come by. I confirmed this by going to another Bay Area dealer who told me up front I would have to wait two months for production. I don't know if these variations in wait time are dealer or regional differences. I called the 800 number today and found out that production is scheduled for next week, a little over two weeks from the date I got the production number and two weeks earlier than the CA told me. I would have much preferred the dealer were forthright about the timing, but they may have lost my business if they had been.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

The reason he can't give you a production number is because the car is still in the order bank and they don't have an allocation available to fill your order. Once it is filled you will get a production number. Unfortunately he is just stringing you along hoping they get an allocation.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Welllll.

You folks were right, & evidently I'm a very poor judge of character. Turns out that there never was any August or September allotment available.

The production number thing was the key to cutting through bad information, thank you forum.

I am getting my deposit back, great as the car would have been I will walk or pedal before I pay someone for being dishonest with me.

Maybe some of us are just meant to drive Fords .
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
dave235
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i on order

Yea the same thing happened to me. I waited 6 weeks to get an allocation. The order bank trick means your in the order bank with the dealership not bmw. I would shop around to get an allocation. Trust me it is worth the wait
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave235 View Post
The order bank trick means your in the order bank with the dealership not bmw.
Isn't, that, special.

Does sound a lot more official than "I asked the secretary to write it down" or "it's on a sticky note in the bosses office", or whatever.

Hope the new mustangs handle well. Am thinking a 310 hp 4 banger turbo with the track pack & aftermarket performance goodies might be a lot of fun.

Or I might recover enough to fight this battle again.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Don't give up USPSALIMITED. I think everyone who owns one will tell you that it is absolutely an awesome car. Keep checking around within driving distance, even out of state. You will get one. It's an incredible car and well worth the effort of obtaining one. As others have said, if a dealer has an allocation, they can provide you with a Production Number immediately upon ordering. Just be clear you need that when you leave a deposit. It will cut through what you just went through. If a dealer doesn't have an allocation, some times they can trade for one. When you do place an order, make sure to get a copy of the build sheet. The build sheet will show you exactly what the order was placed for. Occasionally, the order is input incorrectly and you don't want to find the error upon delivery. Better to make sure it was ordered correctly up front. Go find one....you will be glad you did.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco4me View Post
Don't give up USPSALIMITED. I think everyone who owns one will tell you that it is absolutely an awesome car. Keep checking around within driving distance, even out of state. You will get one. It's an incredible car and well worth the effort of obtaining one. As other have said, if they have an allocation, the dealer can provide you with a Production Number immediately upon ordering. Just be clear you need that when you leave a deposit and it will cut through what you just went through. If a dealer doesn't have an allocation, some times they can trade for one.
Your thread on performance center delivery, & the notion of swallowing a brave pill and then looking into factory pick up (there is bound to be fun to be had in Germany, just don't know diddly at this point) does get a person to thinking.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #16
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Performance Center Deliver....fly to Greenville, SC and take a friend. Get treated like royalty. Greenville to Indy is 8 1/4 hours. Leave by 3 pm on day of PCD and home by 9. You can buy from any dealer including forum sponsors as anyone can arrange it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
jgunnz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The best thing about factory or performance center delivery is that you can get the car from any dealer in the country. I emailed about 30 dealers and said what i wanted and what I'd pay. The first to get back to me with an ok got my business, and I got a sweet deal. So if you are thinking of going the factory/pc delivery, this is a good way forward.

I'd be happy to give you the name of the CA I worked with too, he was fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Agree. No reason to give up if you really want the car. If I was only 8 hours from SC, I would totally do PCD... right after ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco4me View Post
Performance Center Deliver....fly to Greenville, SC and take a friend.
Then arrange a muffler swap at a speed shop somewhere between the performance center and the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

After 550 miles of twisty mountain roads with perfect pavement and no commercial traffic, and with sweet but not obnoxious sounding M235 ringing echoes off the scenic mountainside, head to Knoxville & then back to the real world.

This could work!

I think I just wet myself a little bit.
Appreciate 0