THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Debating options... M240i

04-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #1
maxiedaniels
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Debating options... M240i

I'm currently debating options on the M240i... two questions..

A) Is it possible to get the parking camera w/o navigation? I can spec it that way online but I wanted to check.

B) Is the HK sound system a big improvement over the normal system? I've read that it wasn't but that this year it's a more significant difference... is that true?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels
I'm currently debating options on the M240i... two questions..

A) Is it possible to get the parking camera w/o navigation? I can spec it that way online but I wanted to check.

B) Is the HK sound system a big improvement over the normal system? I've read that it wasn't but that this year it's a more significant difference... is that true?
If you're looking to save money I'd skip HK and get the Bavsound upgrade to the base kit - depending on how much of an audiophile you are. HK + upgraded speakers will outperform Base + upgraded speakers, but for $500 versus $1000 Base + Bav will outperform HK.

Keep in mind HK in a 2 is roughly equivalent to Base in a 3+.

If you're buying I'd HIGHLY suggest you suck it up and get the Nav. The screen is much nicer and you'll have an easier time moving the car when you're done with it. Leasing who gives a shit save the money bc you don't care about the back end.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
maxiedaniels
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If you're looking to save money I'd skip HK and get the Bavsound upgrade to the base kit - depending on how much of an audiophile you are. HK + upgraded speakers will outperform Base + upgraded speakers, but for $500 versus $1000 Base + Bav will outperform HK.

Keep in mind HK in a 2 is roughly equivalent to Base in a 3+.

If you're buying I'd HIGHLY suggest you suck it up and get the Nav. The screen is much nicer and you'll have an easier time moving the car when you're done with it. Leasing who gives a shit save the money bc you don't care about the back end.
I am leasing, so I'm not concerned with moving the car after. But do you know if the parking camera works without the navi?

Also, I haven't seen anything about the Bavsound upgrade on the BMW website, is that a third party system? **Edit** Okay, I realize now it's a third party system but supposedly easy to install. I've done my own audio system before, so while I didn't want to modify a leased car, I could always ask the dealer if it's okay. However, is the base -> bavsound upgrade good? The HK->bavsound seems like a much more significant upgrade..

Last edited by maxiedaniels; 04-25-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

You could turn the car in with the Bavsound stuff in it no one would ever be the wiser it's all perfect fit in factory location. You could also switch back and resell probably get half your money back.

All depends how much you're looking to spend. Base + Bav is $500 or thereabouts and I think sounds better than HK by itself. HK + Bav you're looking at HK$ and the Bav is more like $800 I believe bc more speakers involved.

I've installed in 2 cars now. You have coupe or convertible? Coupe is brainless easy you could do it in an hour if you have basic experience doing this sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I'm curious to hear more about this "HK in the 2 is like the base system in the 3+". I'm coming from a 4 and I have a 2 on order right now, both with the base sound system.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
maxiedaniels
Private
Rep

Quote:
You could turn the car in with the Bavsound stuff in it no one would ever be the wiser it's all perfect fit in factory location. You could also switch back and resell probably get half your money back.

All depends how much you're looking to spend. Base + Bav is $500 or thereabouts and I think sounds better than HK by itself. HK + Bav you're looking at HK$ and the Bav is more like $800 I believe bc more speakers involved.

I've installed in 2 cars now. You have coupe or convertible? Coupe is brainless easy you could do it in an hour if you have basic experience doing this sort of thing.
Interesting. Coupe. In that case, I'll probably save the $ and do the base, and install the Bav.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
Interesting. Coupe. In that case, I'll probably save the $ and do the base, and install the Bav.
If you can pull the door panels (watch the video install) that's the only hard part. Center if you choose to use is drop in as are rears. Just pop cover off, unscrew old one, screw in new one. If you want to add Dynomat you're looking at a little extra time but not a ton.

Look at the Dr. Strangelove thread for more than you ever wanted to know about audio upgrades for the 2-series. You can piece together another solution and save a bit but since you need coax throughout and not mids / tweeters (assuming you order base) the Bav solution is maybe $100-ish more if memory serves and designed specifically for the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

I live nowhere near a large city; the times I have driven in one, I drove my winter-beater. So, I didn't know if I wanted/needed nav.

It came down to Nav vs. limited-slip differential. The LSD won. But, I do understand why many drivers would want it.

I did not get the H-K stereo. I do plan to go the BavSound route. The installation video looks fairly simple, even for a fumble-fingers like me.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
SCCThree
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I came from a 2011 335is w/ HK. Now in the M240i w/ HK. I think the sound is pretty close. The 335is was probably a little better but I am impressed w/ the HK in the M240i. I read a lot of threads about how bad it sounds and unhooking the center speaker makes it much better. I was worried. Once I heard it as is I really like it.

I may not be as hardcore as some of the real audio guys on this forum. I mostly listen to EDM and classic rock (yes I know, weird combo) and it does the job VERY well, IMO.

Just my .02
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
ianp622
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Also, although I generally hate nav systems in cars, I always use my M240i's. Some features that make it better than using my phone:

1. My phone can be out of the way
2. Road indicator on dash is very helpful at complicated intersections
3. Traffic is just as good if not better than Google (uses all cell phones rather than just those running maps on Android)
4. Voice navigation when you get into the car is super convenient
5. You can set areas to avoid if there's construction, as well as choose between toll vs cash roads.
6. Updates are pretty frequent
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Another really nice feature is if you split screen you have map in main panel and a diagram of exit on right. Extremely helpful at complicated areas i.e. turnpike exit where you have a split then each split has 3 options involved.
Appreciate 1
ianp62252.00
      06-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree View Post
I came from a 2011 335is w/ HK. Now in the M240i w/ HK. I think the sound is pretty close. The 335is was probably a little better but I am impressed w/ the HK in the M240i. I read a lot of threads about how bad it sounds and unhooking the center speaker makes it much better. I was worried. Once I heard it as is I really like it.

I may not be as hardcore as some of the real audio guys on this forum. I mostly listen to EDM and classic rock (yes I know, weird combo) and it does the job VERY well, IMO.

Just my .02
do you FEEL the base in your chest, or no way.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #13
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCThree View Post

Just my .02
I feel exactly the same way. Incredibly happy with the HK in stock form. I think the bass thumps pretty good, but I'm usually listening at sub-thump volumes. Love the built-in hard drive...it accepts about 25 CDs.

Mine's a 2017 model year, BTW.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #14
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Quote:
If you can pull the door panels (watch the video install) that's the only hard part. Center if you choose to use is drop in as are rears. Just pop cover off, unscrew old one, screw in new one. If you want to add Dynomat you're looking at a little extra time but not a ton.

Look at the Dr. Strangelove thread for more than you ever wanted to know about audio upgrades for the 2-series. You can piece together another solution and save a bit but since you need coax throughout and not mids / tweeters (assuming you order base) the Bav solution is maybe $100-ish more if memory serves and designed specifically for the car.

I got a bit lost in that huge thread. From what I could gather though; if you upgrade the speakers to bav but not the amp, you get worse 'hissing'. Is that the case?

Seems like a sensible option might be bav + the asd harness + those foam strips on the doors. Anything more than that and I think you're getting into crazy audiophile territory. There were pictures of OP plastering dynomat on every metal surface imaginable, seemed a bit nuts!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:

BavSound has a vid on how to replace the front and rear speakers.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
BavSound has a vid on how to replace the front and rear speakers.
That's a good point. Anyone considering any audio upgrade (Bavsound or otherwise) should watch their install videos. Nothing about the video is particular to their gear it all pretty much works the same aside from some connectors you'd need to buy on eBay if you go with another manufacturer.
Appreciate 0