THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Can you trade a lease for its value against a new vehicle?

08-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

Can you trade a lease for its value against a new vehicle?

Is it actually possible to trade in a leased vehicle against a new vehicle and get some cost reduction / downpayment on the value against the new vehicle?

I'm in the final legs of closing on an m235i. Will be leasing for the first time. Have read from Lease Guide that trading in a lease is possible, although most dealers won't tell you that it is. I am confused about this since I thought you could only use the value of the outgoing vehicle if you own it.

There's something I'm reading about whether there is positive or negative equity on the lease between market value and residual value that determines whether or not this is possible.

Dealership says you I can't do this but am wondering if there is an inside scoop or something I'm missing here.

I am thinking in a few years I'd want to go to the M2 or higher so would that make a difference, going BMW to BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloeight View Post
Is it actually possible to trade in a leased vehicle against a new vehicle and get some cost reduction / downpayment on the value against the new vehicle?

I'm in the final legs of closing on an m235i. Will be leasing for the first time. Have read from Lease Guide that trading in a lease is possible, although most dealers won't tell you that it is. I am confused about this since I thought you could only use the value of the outgoing vehicle if you own it.

There's something I'm reading about whether there is positive or negative equity on the lease between market value and residual value that determines whether or not this is possible.

Dealership says you I can't do this but am wondering if there is an inside scoop or something I'm missing here.

I am thinking in a few years I'd want to go to the M2 or higher so would that make a difference, going BMW to BMW?
What you're talking about is if your trade in value of the vehicle is more than your buyout, then a dealer could simply buy it off and give you credit for the equity you had in it. It's no different than if you sold it on your own at market value and bought out the lease for what you owe on it.

It's not really a deal or an inside scoop or anything. Either way it's basically you selling the car if you have positive equity in it against the current buyout price.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

Thank you for clarifying, that makes sense of things.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

yeah, what he said. I traded in a leased G35 coupe and they actually gave me 1000 more than the payoff. Also traded in a leased mustang GT and got just the payoff on it. I tried to lease to make me keep a car 2 - 3 years, but it just didnt work. I get bored way too easily.
Appreciate 0