THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M235i Versus CLA45 AMG

10-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #177
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Garage List
65K fully loaded in Canada, that's just nuts
Long gone, Le Mans Blue X1 xdrive35 M-Sport - Alpina TCU flash - HR springs - Catless dp - JB4 ST2 - CAI -- Alpine White 2007 335i E92 - Procede v3 Stg 2/3 custom - VRSP 3" DP - Stett charge + Forge DV - Stett CAI - CXracing IC
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #178
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Have you been in a non-M BMW below a 5-series recently?
Yes I have... and it does look better than the interior on the CLA.

I will say the dash on the new Accord looks loads better than the CLA interior. The Accord has inset dials and a floating speedo needle like the Mercedes E-class. Very upscale look. The materials are not far off the CLA and this car sells for a $22k base price. Not to mention an Accord V6 would smoke the CLA 250 easily in performance... The CLA 250 is a disappointing and ugly small car.

10-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #179
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The CLA 250 is a disappointing and ugly small car.
Well, I think that's hyperbole but it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I realize when I spend (starting at) $45k for a full up AMG car, there will be places that aren't as nice as the rest of the car. I'm perfectly ok with that being the interior. I personally like the interior of the AMG, but that's my preference.

I'm kinda tired of people bitching about interior quality of a $45k car yet has the highest hp/liter engine in the market. If you want a nicer interior, buy a more expensive car.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #180
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

:

No offense Z K but bro you are way off on this one.

That interior looks as nice as CLA 45AMG. Wow only here there is such bias........seriously come on now

Those two huge twin display screens stuck on the middle of the dash right on top of one another.....what the heck. Who designed this???? and who likes it?????

Explain why in the world would you ever need two display screens on top of one another. As if one is not distracting enough that you needed two to do same thing that one could have dealt with.

Now what is next triple display screens. How many screens does one need to get the same functions done that one single screen can do.

Why are there two lil nipples in the middle of the dash.

If that larger deformed nipple is suppose to control something on one of those screens then why is it so far from natural reach of the driver. Why is it not located closer to the center console.

The steering wheel shape is some thing that should belong in a minivan then a sedan with a 6-spd manual. That interior is just a mess. I am sorry but that interior looks like it was designed by utterly clueless person who must be legally blind with that speedo in the middle with overly large numbers. Overly large numbers look good on a center tacho on sports cars as it helps to not run into redline. Who needs such a large speedometer. Horrible interior design.

Quote:
Yes I have... and it does look better than the interior on the CLA.

I will say the dash on the new Accord looks loads better than the CLA interior. The Accord has inset dials and a floating speedo needle like the Mercedes E-class. Very upscale look. The materials are not far off the CLA and this car sells for a $22k base price. Not to mention an Accord V6 would smoke the CLA 250 easily in performance... The CLA 250 is a disappointing and ugly small car.

nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #181
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I'm kinda tired of people bitching about interior quality of a $45k car yet has the highest hp/liter engine in the market. If you want a nicer interior, buy a more expensive car.
I am totally used to low rent interiors in cars. I had a few Evos before and those are $35k base with interiors from a $15k car.

But Mercedes AMG? A $45k car with the interior from a $20k car? Maybe I'll throw in a few grand for the nice bucket seats but otherwise it's pretty cheap.

355 hp from a 2 liter turbo is nothing special. It's been done. You can buy an Evo with 360 or 400 hp from the dealer in Europe. Or buy a US car and reflash it for 400hp. It'll be faster for less money if performance bang for your buck is the game. And they both have low rent interiors too!
      10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #182
nenadbogar
First Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: x6 f16 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Because you can see what you're doing, instead of fumbling around in a tight space under your ass? This is sort of like asking why would you want your window switches on the door, something BMW resisted for a long time. I'd guess it won't be long until BMW moves the seat controls to the door too.
im just not feelin it youre basically fumbling around one time and thats it. you dont need to get back and readjust all the time. once its your car you learn how to control it in the first 4min. if you dont, well... and the other 364 days its just standing there poking your eye for no particular reason
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #183
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am totally used to low rent interiors in cars. I had a few Evos before and those are $35k base with interiors from a $15k car.

But Mercedes AMG? A $45k car with the interior from a $20k car? Maybe I'll throw in a few grand for the nice bucket seats but otherwise it's pretty cheap.

355 hp from a 2 liter turbo is nothing special. It's been done. You can buy an Evo with 360 or 400 hp from the dealer in Europe. Or buy a US car and reflash it for 400hp. It'll be faster for less money if performance bang for your buck is the game. And they both have low rent interiors too!
It's a $45k AMG car, that's the point. You want a nicer interior, fork out more money.

And yes, 355 hp from a 2 liter is a big deal. Interior quality aside, if you can't even admit that's a pretty big deal, I don't know what to say.

If you can buy a production Evo in Europe with more hp/liter, go ahead and post it. And I'm sorry, as a former owner of an STi myself, Evo's and STi's are not in the same league as an AMG. Can you squeeze more power out for cheaper, yep. But you're missing half the point of why AMG and ///M exist.

Porsche had the highest hp/liter and Merc just surpassed them. Yes, that's a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #184
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
It's a $45k AMG car, that's the point. You want a nicer interior, fork out more money.

And yes, 355 hp from a 2 liter is a big deal. Interior quality aside, if you can't even admit that's a pretty big deal, I don't know what to say.

If you can buy a production Evo in Europe with more hp/liter, go ahead and post it. And I'm sorry, as a former owner of an STi myself, Evo's and STi's are not in the same league as an AMG. Can you squeeze more power out for cheaper, yep. But you're missing half the point of why AMG and ///M exist.

Porsche had the highest hp/liter and Merc just surpassed them. Yes, that's a big deal.

For the record, I'm excited for the both the M235i and the CLA45.

At the end of the day, it's really silly to compare them. The M235i is not a "proper" M car. It's less expensive and performance-wise, will be blown away by the CLA45.

The M2, if it comes to fruition, would be a more proper rival/comparison.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #185
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Because you can see what you're doing, instead of fumbling around in a tight space under your ass? This is sort of like asking why would you want your window switches on the door, something BMW resisted for a long time. I'd guess it won't be long until BMW moves the seat controls to the door too.
That is a litle bit exagerated. First, I know exactly where to push, if you are unable to use it buy a simple car. A modern car requiers some technical common sense.
First, they are not bad to find, once you know it is exactly like your bathroom switch that you find blindly in the dark. Not to mention, you should touch those buttons BEFORE you enter the vehicle if possible.
Second, how many times you use them once you set everything up?
Third, if you have comfort access, you are doing nothing except openingthe door..
Fourth, it may not be the case, but, you've never seen a car where the buttons on the door don't work due to the broken wires that gave up ?

Last edited by Teutonic; 10-31-2013 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:01 AM   #186
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Also I forgot to mention, the CLA 45 AMG sounds great for a 4 banger, but it's no comparison to the N54/N55 I'm used to hearing (Although i do have a fully kitless quad setup). The Australia spec cars have the Performance exhaust standard on the AMG.

In Comfort mode it's fairly stealth, but in Sport and Manual it makes a lot of noises, mostly unnecessary. If you upshift manually it will always make the fart sound which is kind of cool. But I have to say the 4 cylinder does sound pretty weak compared to the inline straight 6's that BMW make.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #187
number1draftpick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

I can't believe that some people actually think the CLA/CLA45 AMG looks good. I guess beauty is really subjective.

I tried so hard to like this car based on the performance, price, and other specs.

But particularly once I saw it in person, I could no longer fool myself into thinking that I could live with that droopy rear end, tom tom display/nav, or other design flaws that really detract from what would have otherwise been a spectacular car.

Its truly an ugly car
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #188
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
saw a CLA yesterday sitting at the dealer....it is one ugly ass ride! lol. looks like a sad turtle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #189
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Here you go..
Evo X FQ400 review
http://www.topgear.com/uk/mitsubishi...ad-test/fq-400
Quote:
it's faster than an M3. Faster than a 911. Not far off the Turbo in fact - it'll crack 60mph in 3.8secs and, in the hands of Average Bloke, is certainly the quicker across country.
and the "regular" FQ360
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...evo-fq-360-gsr

You can take a look at the specs from the Mitsubishi UK web site itself
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/evolution/
Quote:
At the heart of the Lancer Evolution X is a new all-aluminium engine that in FQ-300 models pumps out an impressive 295PS and 407Nm of torque; this increases to 329PS and 437Nm for FQ-330 versions and a mighty 359PS and 492Nm in the range-topping FQ-360 models.
They've been building selling these 360hp and 400hp 2 liter cars since 2005.
http://www.supercars.net/cars/3527.html
Here's Top Gear's review of it vs a Lamborghini Murcielago.

So no, 355hp from a 2 liter is not a big deal. Coupled with a primitive Haldex AWD system (also found on the understeer happy Golf R), this car is not a corner carver.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Mitsubishi builds a "higher hp per liter" production car than the ugly CLA AMG.
      10-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #190
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Are the FQ cars actual Mitsubishi cars now? The originals were UK only and built by Rampage Tuning, not Mitsu. So isn't that sort of like comparing a Ruf or Dinan car to a regular production car?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #191
F22
2Addict Pledge
Rep
Drives: Acura RSX-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
I don't hate the m235's interior but I do think the CLA's is nicer looking. Same with the upcoming C-class vs the F30. Exterior wise I think the CLA is a bit awkward looking but in the flesh looks pretty good. By pics I much prefer the style of the BMW, I'm excited to see it in real life.
am i the only one who appreciates the utilitarian/simplistic look of BMW interiors?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #192
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are the FQ cars actual Mitsubishi cars now? The originals were UK only and built by Rampage Tuning, not Mitsu. So isn't that sort of like comparing a Ruf or Dinan car to a regular production car?
They don't come from the Mitsubishi factory that way. Once they get to the UK, they get upgraded so I still stand by my earlier point.

So yes, the CLA45 AMG is still the highest production car for hp/liter.

Comparing it to the FQ Evo models is exactly like comparing it to a RUF Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #193
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The limited edition FQ400 is was built by Mitsubishi, Rampage and Owens Technology. The highest spec "normal" FQ360 is built by Mitsubishi.

And anyone who has owned an Evo X knows how ridiculously easy it is to hit 400hp with a tune and an exhaust system. Once you push past 400hp is when you have to start changing parts.

I own an M3 and I cringe when I think I can easily smoke my own car with my old Evo if I still had it. But I bought the M3 because I wanted a more refined car, not necessarily a faster one.

Last edited by Z K; 10-31-2013 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #194
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Typical BMW forum response = Merc ugly / BMW good

Both are great. Each completely different aside from price point and target market. Entirely different styles, drive, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #195
yourfriend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
am i the only one who appreciates the utilitarian/simplistic look of BMW interiors?
No, no you are not!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #196
breljohn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 911

I see some potential in the CLA...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #197
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
saw a CLA yesterday sitting at the dealer....it is one ugly ass ride! lol. looks like a sad turtle.
So its the 135....no offense but some of you are too bias
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #198
markmatthews
Private
Rep
Drives: LS3 Z51 MZ6

I must have seen at least 100 CLAs here around Los Angeles already

I honestly think it looks great. Can't wait to run into the AMG version as I'm sure it'll have quite a road presence!
Appreciate 0