THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Anyone have the Injen Intake?

04-10-2015, 07:23 AM   #1
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

Anyone have the Injen Intake?

I thought I was sold on the BMS Intake then this thread appeared:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113014

Does anyone have the Injen, and can talk comparison or if it would seem to have the same issues? Thanks
      04-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
I thought I was sold on the BMS Intake then this thread appeared:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113014

Does anyone have the Injen, and can talk comparison or if it would seem to have the same issues? Thanks
We sold a lot of the injen intakes. Never had any issues.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (F22)

I want to hear some feedback from an M235i owner with the Injen Intake as I am now planning to get it myself considering the whole BMS Intake issue. I don't think we have many owners on here that have the Injen on their M235i, or maybe they just don't want to talk about it lol. Maybe I will have to take the plunge soon, considering that right now anything will be more reliable than the BMS Intake at the moment...
      04-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

I ended up getting the closed box AFE from a FS thread here in marketplace, too good of a deal to pass up
      08-14-2015, 03:05 AM   #5
JasonPetrie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

i have an issue with my Injen intake on my 235. I've had it on for about a week and everything was fine. sounds great, it even felt like the car pulled harder. then out of nowhere I got a CEL with a code 00172 for running rich in bank 1. I really don't want to put the stock box back in, but i don't know if i have a choice. The car definitely doesn't seem to pull as hard now. it struggles a little on cold starts and when down shifting coming to a stop. I wish there was a way to fix the issue without returning to stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
The Ching
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPetrie
i have an issue with my Injen intake on my 235. I've had it on for about a week and everything was fine. sounds great, it even felt like the car pulled harder. then out of nowhere I got a CEL with a code 00172 for running rich in bank 1. I really don't want to put the stock box back in, but i don't know if i have a choice. The car definitely doesn't seem to pull as hard now. it struggles a little on cold starts and when down shifting coming to a stop. I wish there was a way to fix the issue without returning to stock.
AFE Momentum, had it for almost 10k miles now with no issues.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
dee0007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
I ended up getting the closed box AFE from a FS thread here in marketplace, too good of a deal to pass up
can u send the link pls
lllexus@yahoo.com
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Hey I've had the intake for a little while now, and I love it. Does anyone know what the procedure is for washing/cleaning and oiling the filter?

I was under the impression that it was an oiled filter for some reason.

Is it just better off to buy a new one?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Don't listen to the vendors I bought an Injen from them and I sold it off, piece of glorified garbage. I track this car often, and it was causing all sorts of shifting/hesitation issues on/off the throttle. I switched to a Dinan for a few months, and 4 track days, and i had 0 issues. Now I'm back to stock with a K&N filter, as the Dinan sound is underwhelming after the cold air.

I got CEL's only a week after install, mass air flow too high blah blah. If you push this car and drive it hard, you will get hesitation/transmission shifting issues with the cold air intakes (assuming automatic 8spd dct).

The only solution for these problems is to unplug your MAF, and then your stuck with a another code

My advice is to step up to a better closed air box (Dinan, AFE, etc), but it will definetly not sound as cool as the Injen (I give it that).

Look in the for sale section of the forum, most members don't bitch, they just sell it off to another member.
-Paul
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
Setiri
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
Don't listen to the vendors I bought an Injen from them and I sold it off, piece of glorified garbage. I track this car often, and it was causing all sorts of shifting/hesitation issues on/off the throttle. I switched to a Dinan for a few months, and 4 track days, and i had 0 issues. Now I'm back to stock with a K&N filter, as the Dinan sound is underwhelming after the cold air.

I got CEL's only a week after install, mass air flow too high blah blah. If you push this car and drive it hard, you will get hesitation/transmission shifting issues with the cold air intakes (assuming automatic 8spd dct).

The only solution for these problems is to unplug your MAF, and then your stuck with a another code

My advice is to step up to a better closed air box (Dinan, AFE, etc), but it will definetly not sound as cool as the Injen (I give it that).

Look in the for sale section of the forum, most members don't bitch, they just sell it off to another member.
-Paul

To be fair, you were very good about communicating and price but... kinda sucks to see you post this a week after I bought it from you.

Anyway, no CEL's (yet). It's a lot louder than I originally thought, which isn't necessarily bad, just didn't think it would make that much of a difference. You can certainly hear the whooshing intake and the psssh of the diverter valve release, which I'm enjoying. Keeping the stock just in case it gets to be too much or throw's obnoxious CEL's. Hoping that maybe it was just your setup or the weather since you and I live in such different climates.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I over-embellished a little but if you aren't tracking the car. You'll be fine, you will get the tuner code (maf code). It's annoying but if you like the sound keep it on there.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't listen to the vendors
Agree, listen to customers

Name:  Untitled1.jpg
Views: 2122
Size:  59.2 KB
Name:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  150.2 KB
Name:  Untitled3.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  82.3 KB
Name:  Untitled4.jpg
Views: 2123
Size:  174.1 KB

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
Setiri
Rep

Generally people don't sell things they're in love with so, fair enough. Anyway, if I do get the cell, I'll figure out a way to deal with it. May just end up getting a tune even though I'm extremely happy with the power I'm getting from it with just the intake/charge pipe/intercooler/jb4 I put in. Right now I'm more worried about larger rear tires as when I punch it, it's wanting to fishtail but the traction control is containing it (barely). Certainly not the worst problem to have.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

One could get the same sound and gains (there are none) by simply cutting up the lower airbox a bit. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and would look OEM. I can pick up a used lower airbox for $20-40.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #15
Setiri
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
One could get the same sound and gains (there are none) by simply cutting up the lower airbox a bit. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and would look OEM. I can pick up a used lower airbox for $20-40.
That's one route to go and I'd agree it's effective. Some people like aesthetics however, and I think the look of the SRI is a nice one. I also like the Dinan carbon fiber intake. I specifically don't care for the stock plastic tube/box. Just looks generic, and I especially don't want to just cut a hole in a factory part if it's at all visible. But we all have different goals, which is the beauty of being a car person. Take the same canvas and personalize it so it's specifically YOUR artwork.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #16
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Mike@XPH has a point, I bought a bunch of stuff from him and he still tries to spike me here...lol.

These Bimmerpost forums are undoubtedly for-profit, run by sponsors, like him, paid for by them. So they have to suppress negative criticisms of the shit they sell, because they want to sell you all these fancy expensive mods so they can keep their 6 car garages, with their BMW X5M, BMW 650, M3, M4, i8, and maybe a 911 GT4 thrown in there.. Even if they have known problems that have been reported to them.

All his customers post reviews pretty much post-install within a day or so. Yes the intake sounds great on install! I will give him that, probably sounds better than any other 500+$ intake out there. If that's what your after, have at it.

I guarantee if you give most of them a chance to go back and edit them, they would tell you about the CELs, and maybe even the hesitation/delayed shifting issues. But most of them are driving these cars on public roads and not the track where shit get's tested...

Maybe some have a manual and not DCT where this might not be a problem. But the reality is true, and he showed it with his own reviews. The CEL is real regardless of your transmission, and you will get it. The JB4 will not help you here either. So you can trick the car by unplugging the MAF, but then this adds other problems. It's there for a reason right?

As i stated before the car malfunctions because of inaccurate MAF readings and it's more noticeable in the low/mid power band where the MAF is utilized, hard off/on the throttle. It's more noticeable when you are driving on a track, not commuting to work.

Last edited by zipphreak; 10-27-2017 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      10-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Mike@XPH has a point, I bought a bunch of stuff from him and he still tries to spike me here...lol.

These Bimmerpost forums are undoubtedly for-profit, run by sponsors, like him, paid for by them. So they have to suppress negative criticisms of the shit they sell, because they want to sell you all these fancy expensive mods so they can keep their 6 car garages, with their BMW X5M, BMW 650, M3, M4, i8, and maybe a 911 GT4 thrown in there.. Even if they have known problems that have been reported to them.

All his customers post reviews pretty much post-install within a day or so. Yes the intake sounds great on install! I will give him that, probably sounds better than any other 500+$ intake out there. If that's what your after, have at it.

I guarantee if you give most of them a chance to go back and edit them, they would tell you about the CELs, and maybe even the hesitation/delayed shifting issues. But most of them are driving these cars on public roads and not the track where shit get's tested...

Maybe some have a manual and not DCT where this might not be a problem. But the reality is true, and he showed it with his own reviews. The CEL is real regardless of your transmission, and you will get it. The JB4 will not help you here either. So you can trick the car by unplugging the MAF, but then this adds other problems. It's there for a reason right?

As i stated before the car malfunctions because of inaccurate MAF readings and it's more noticeable in the low/mid power band where the MAF is utilized, hard off/on the throttle. It's more noticeable when you are driving on a track, not commuting to work.
I've had the injen intake for a while. I've unplugged myaf and run my car ąt 2 hpde events without issue.

Sure an intake without cel would be great, but the route ive went has worked fine for me on both street and track.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its a car forum meant for discussing different opinions, nothing wrong with not agreeing as long as its respectful

Quote:
We dont suppress any negative criticisms. Check our website and you will see that all opinions (good or bad) are allowed. We can easily delete bad reviews if we wanted to but that's not how we operate.

This forum does not suppress any criticism either, its full of bad reviews LOL

Quote:
You dont like the intake and thats your opinion, but your assumption is not true. If everyone did not like the intake this and other forums would be full of bad reviews.

Quote:
The JB4 will not help you here either. So you can trick the car by unplugging the MAF, but then this adds other problems. It's there for a reason right?
With the JB4 installed, the MAF is not needed anymore.
You do need it on a stock car, which is why we never recommend removing it unless you have a JB4.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

A vendors response will always come off as biased, regardless of intentions. It's just a common filter for a good portion of people and understandable.

So I'll leave my speech and see if it hits home any different or not.

In our experience the complaints are minimal. I've literally less then a handful have issue with them.

Now there are a few ways to view it as a member on the board.

Maybe not all customers complain to the seller cause they know they didn't make the product?

Maybe the issue went away?

Maybe they sold it?

Of the issues that I can recall, we bounced the idea of getting a tune and that worked from what I recall. I don't recall it not working with us personally but then again maybe the didn't bother to tell us.

I have read other stories (about other intakes) of the intake producing a CEL and people had to unplug the MAF and all was good if they had a tune (like Jb4).

I can tell you this, if it was a problematic product, we wouldn't sell it. That goes for a few aspects of who we offer products for.

Availability of the product, reliability of the product, customer support for us as a dealer, price (of course) and a few others.

At the end of the day, forums or not, in this industry of modding cars there is always an inherent risk albeit really small if I would honestly say for the Injen being problematic for the consumer.

With the MAF on this car and it's sensitivity, I'd definitely recommend a tune if you do want the intake. You move that small risk even lesser. Also in the mod game, playing with mods and finding out how they tick is part of the fun. I've exchanged many exhausts on cars just for fun. Spent a few dollars, lost a few and gained few doing so. Bought a big cam for my vette and hated it. $3500 mistake altogether, it's part of the game and fun.

At the last of my rant, consider this example: "I love my straight piped XXX vehicle" but to 99% of us we think it sounds like garbage. One guy may read that and think wow I should try it. Does it, hates it. Forum info should be taken with a grain of salt is my point.

/rant

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 10-30-2017 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:24 AM   #20
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep

FYI i have a JB4 and it compounded the issues with the MAF plugged in. Unplugging the MAF was the only way the car acted somewhat normal with the Injen. I think it's funny that they sell a product that doesn't work properly on a stock car (never mind the fitment with one of the stock electrical covers is poor).

Maybe you guys you update your sites for the Injen to include this in the description (1. Mass-air-flow CEL included, 2. MAF must be unplugged for consistent low/mid rpm power, and a JB4 is required).

But FYI a JB4 is not required to unplug your MAF. The car knows what to do when it's unplugged, it just uses the wide-band O2 sensors, the JB4 has nothing to do with that.

Last edited by zipphreak; 10-31-2017 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:42 AM   #21
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

I'll add a little bit of info on this topic as well. Attached is a link to an Injen intake I sold a few months ago. Short version of the story - bought the intake and installed it, got the CEL, read the related forum posts, called and talked to Injen, they said they were not aware of the problem, said they'd work on a fix, have not heard back from them yet. Took it off and sold it with full explanation of the problem.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1416705

Last edited by JerryW235; 10-31-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 09:12 AM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

FYI i have a JB4 and it compounded the issues with the MAF plugged in. Unplugging the MAF was the only way the car acted somewhat normal with the Injen. I think it's funny that they sell a product that doesn't work properly on a stock car (never mind the fitment with one of the stock electrical covers is poor).

Maybe you guys you update your sites for the Injen to include this in the description (1. Mass-air-flow CEL included, 2. MAF must be unplugged for consistent low/mid rpm power, and a JB4 is required).

But FYI a JB4 is not required to unplug your MAF. The car knows what to do when it's unplugged, it just uses the wide-band O2 sensors, the JB4 has nothing to do with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW235 View Post
I'll add a little bit of info on this topic as well. Attached is a link to an Injen intake I sold a few months ago. Short version of the story - bought the intake and installed it, got the CRL, read the related forum posts, called and talked to Injen, they said they were not aware of the problem, said they'd work on a fix, have not heard back from them yet. Took it off and sold it with full explanation of the problem.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1416705
Both of your responses are greatly appreciated.

We can put a million disclaimers in our descriptions, frankly less then a few % read them or the terms on a website. Also for us specifically, we never hear that much negative feedback and unless the manufacturer tells us there is a significant change or disclaimer needed, we normally won't blindly do it. For us, problematic products get removed. Also a disclaimer would deter sales to potential people that may not have issues and people would seek out the injen intake that didn't have the disclaimer so they can blame that seller because it didn't say anything. It's a crazy world we live in. It's always about finding the happy medium.

But I hear what you're saying and I said before this is all part of the mod game. However the consumer needs to take some responsibility to know that if you're modifying a vehicle, you should have the proper knowledge & understanding of what you're doing. There are also examples where things are just understood for specific modifications. Almost every catless downpipe available in these BMW platforms would cause a CEL but there are no descriptions saying as such, it's understood and assumed by the majority and therefore not mentioned. There are of course people who didn't know that and bought it but it sounds like they are buying something they didn't do research on or understood how it works. By no accident, proper tunes get rid of that CEL.

For example, when I put an intake on my vette, it's a MAF car. I knew right away putting the right intake was crucial on the car. I already read up that the wrong intake would cause stumbling, poor idle, ETC.

So I did some more research and found the best intake that had the least amount of issues.

Putting an aftermarket intake on a MAF car almost always will require tuning. JB4 does not do a good job of tuning the MAF which is why it only helps some. It needs a real custom tune. Any other platform with MAF whether it be for a Mustang or WRX or BRZ or corvette will require MAF tuning (unless otherwise stated by the intake company). It should be expected but then again everyone is not a car wizard, that's where research comes into play. A flash tune would take care of any intake with the right tuner behind it.

If it's a question of producing an intake that can work on a stock car 100% I believe Dinan is the only 1 and maybe AWE (have to double check).

Anyway, great feedback guys.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 10-31-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0