THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning RaceChip Ultimate discussion thread

04-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #397
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Power improvement range

So, I recently installed the RC Ultimate on my M235xi, it definitely has more low end pull vs. stock. I'm still keeping RPM's under 4,500 as it's a pretty new car, in a couple weeks I'll take it closer to redline and bump up setting to C and then D seems to by many users favorite. Question I have, is people have reported that RC says the power is really there from 1-4k rpms and then not much up added up top. If this is true, then how can they state a 50 HP increase over stock on their website, when this is of course the upper rpm range? I haven't had a chance to test upper limits and no one seems to have dyno'd the thing. I do enjoy it, it's a much smoother delivery vs. the JB Stage 1 I had on my X3, and I like the low end torque, just wondering if it really falls off up top.
      04-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #398
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Alpine white, Coral red M235i

I recently got the racechip ultimate installed and had real fun testing the performance of the car after.

first thing i noticed was the huge mid-range torque ( on B setting ) bump the car breaks traction effortlessly on 1st and 2nd gear

second thing is top end grunt is the same or even dropped a little bit to be honest which is disappointing

lastly the car seemed to bog down in power after a couple of runs due to excessive heat i think because ambient temp is around 30C with the sport display dials of hp and torque not going over 300hp and 400NM mark

any idea to why the top end is being less than stock with RC U??
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #399
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anas M235i
I recently got the racechip ultimate installed and had real fun testing the performance of the car after.

first thing i noticed was the huge mid-range torque ( on B setting ) bump the car breaks traction effortlessly on 1st and 2nd gear

second thing is top end grunt is the same or even dropped a little bit to be honest which is disappointing

lastly the car seemed to bog down in power after a couple of runs due to excessive heat i think because ambient temp is around 30C with the sport display dials of hp and torque not going over 300hp and 400NM mark

any idea to why the top end is being less than stock with RC U??
I think that would be what you are feeling. Try to dyno the car with and without the RC.
It bet you that you felt that way because we felt torque more than horsepower. And usually, torque will decline at high RPM and horsepower stabilizing at the peak.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #400
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Another question on this RaceChip. When changing the tune settings from baseline B to say C or D. Are you guys disconnecting battery or just unplugging unit, adjusting tune and plugging back in?

Thanks

Last edited by kdog26372; 04-25-2015 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 02:22 PM   #401
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Another question on this RaceChip. When changing the tune settings from baseline B to say C or D. Are you guys disconnecting battery or just unplugging unit, adjusting tune and plugging back in?

Thanks
Nothing. You just need to have the car off.
But, extra caution always better.
It is easier when you have the module removed though. You won't have a drop screw in the engine bay problem.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #402
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anas M235i View Post

second thing is top end grunt is the same or even dropped a little bit to be honest which is disappointing.....

......any idea to why the top end is being less than stock with RC U??

According to RaceChip themselves, this is EXACTLY how the ULTIMATE should function.

Originally Posted by M2-BM35i View Post

From RC Germany head office below-reply to my query on the quoted performance figures on therei Eur website

The race chip is inserted between the ECU and fuel injection.

Normally, the engine control unit sends the data directly to the injection system. With the Race chip data from the engine control unit are intercepted and optimized depending on driving conditions.

In addition, the Race chip is active only when you need the power.

To shut down and consequently motor sparing.

With RaceChip we change the values of the vehicle, the injection, the injection quantity, injection time and the injection timing can be optimized. Also the boost pressure will increase to max 0,2 bar. This optimization results in an increase in output and a fuel economy.

The values indicated on our website are calculated maximum values are reached. Not every vehicle reaches these values as it is also dependent on the tolerance of the vehicle series.

Our chip is mainly active in the acceleration and pulling phase. The working range is approximately 1500-3500 r / min.

The speed limit does not change normally.

We supply the chip with a basic setting for your vehicle.

With this starting point, you have a power increase of about 18-20%, this is the best compromise between fuel economy and more power.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 02:46 AM   #403
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Béhème View Post
According to RaceChip themselves, this is EXACTLY how the ULTIMATE should function.

Originally Posted by M2-BM35i View Post

From RC Germany head office below-reply to my query on the quoted performance figures on therei Eur website

The race chip is inserted between the ECU and fuel injection.

Normally, the engine control unit sends the data directly to the injection system. With the Race chip data from the engine control unit are intercepted and optimized depending on driving conditions.

In addition, the Race chip is active only when you need the power.

To shut down and consequently motor sparing.

With RaceChip we change the values of the vehicle, the injection, the injection quantity, injection time and the injection timing can be optimized. Also the boost pressure will increase to max 0,2 bar. This optimization results in an increase in output and a fuel economy.

The values indicated on our website are calculated maximum values are reached. Not every vehicle reaches these values as it is also dependent on the tolerance of the vehicle series.

Our chip is mainly active in the acceleration and pulling phase. The working range is approximately 1500-3500 r / min.

With this starting point, you have a power increase of about 18-20%, this is the best compromise between fuel economy and more power.
then I have to start thinking about what will help bring up the rest of the power band up to the increase level the RaceChip done the engine...

Any suggestions on upgrades for top end gains??
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #404
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
[U]According to RaceChip themselves,

Then they are lying about horsepower gains, can't increase horsepower and only change things up to 3,500 r/m. Either no horsepower gains and low range of changes below 3,500 r/m or they change things up top too to obtain the stated HP claims. The 2 parts pieces don't fit.
      04-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #405
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

As I stated many times in this and similar threads, Racechip has a long and established reputation for piggy-back tuning diesels; the latest turbocharged gas engines is something they haven't yet got "imprinted" in their minds and/or documentation (like the scarce "dyno sheets" they provide on request, when a customer is really pushing them). All those charts look alike, and the rpm axis ends at some 4000 rpm (again - typical for diesels).

I did test (and even used for a couple of months) their Ultimate chip in my (now gone) 528xi, and indeed some gain could be felt up to 3,500 rpm - but not higher. With the Racechip Ultra, the max speed of my F10 didn't change at all - while using products from their competitors (like Speedbuster - also a German brand) increased the maximum speed of my 528xi considerably. But then - it was no good where I needed some more juice the most, i.e. when accelerating gradually (i.e. without downshifting) from cruising at some 1,200 rpm.

All in all, my impression is all those products are almost identical (even if - like in this comparo - one may be better at lower rpm while another "shining" closer to the red line). Therefore, I simply do not trust them - and even if one is lucky enough to not void their BMW warranty, they spell disaster in the future (i.e. when the car is old and with no warranty due to its time or mileage limit). In this context, what Mr. Dinan is saying about his approach (in one of the short videos at Dinan webpages) is much more convincing...

But I wouldn't like to rain on anyone's parade, so I'll shut up now. One last thing I'd like to add is that failing to overcome my 528xi feeling underpowered, I decided to switch from a large and luxurious F10 with too small N20 engine to the M235i - a smaller car with N55 motor, and I'm happy with this; no need to try any of those magic boxes again. Of course, YMMV - so I sincerely wish all of you "tuners" good luck!
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #406
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
As I stated many times in this and similar threads, Racechip has a long and established reputation for piggy-back tuning diesels; the latest turbocharged gas engines is something they haven't yet got "imprinted" in their minds and/or documentation (like the scarce "dyno sheets" they provide on request, when a customer is really pushing them). All those charts look alike, and the rpm axis ends at some 4000 rpm (again - typical for diesels).

I did test (and even used for a couple of months) their Ultimate chip in my (now gone) 528xi, and indeed some gain could be felt up to 3,500 rpm - but not higher. With the Racechip Ultra, the max speed of my F10 didn't change at all - while using products from their competitors (like Speedbuster - also a German brand) increased the maximum speed of my 528xi considerably. But then - it was no good where I needed some more juice the most, i.e. when accelerating gradually (i.e. without downshifting) from cruising at some 1,200 rpm.

All in all, my impression is all those products are almost identical (even if - like in this comparo - one may be better at lower rpm while another "shining" closer to the red line). Therefore, I simply do not trust them - and even if one is lucky enough to not void their BMW warranty, they spell disaster in the future (i.e. when the car is old and with no warranty due to its time or mileage limit). In this context, what Mr. Dinan is saying about his approach (in one of the short videos at Dinan webpages) is much more convincing...

But I wouldn't like to rain on anyone's parade, so I'll shut up now. One last thing I'd like to add is that failing to overcome my 528xi feeling underpowered, I decided to switch from a large and luxurious F10 with too small N20 engine to the M235i - a smaller car with N55 motor, and I'm happy with this; no need to try any of those magic boxes again. Of course, YMMV - so I sincerely wish all of you "tuners" good luck!
So your basically happy with the power output of the 235i as it is? Im almost thinking i might be in the same boat as you..... I would love to have the extra power, especially this being the first turbo car i've owned, but unless the power is inexpensive & reliable, theres no point in spending the $$ just to have minimal gains, and then have to deal with issues of warranty & dealer issues.

What about the JB4 stage 1, that seems promising though....
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #407
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anas M235i View Post
then I have to start thinking about what will help bring up the rest of the power band up to the increase level the RaceChip done the engine...

Any suggestions on upgrades for top end gains??
Put some miles on the setting it will adapt the more miles you drive on it. It gets better after 100 miles at least I can remember. If you feel you want more or it drops off increase 1 setting and put some miles. Also make sure you're using TopTierGas (93 octane / 98 RON) for best performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
So, I recently installed the RC Ultimate on my M235xi, it definitely has more low end pull vs. stock. I'm still keeping RPM's under 4,500 as it's a pretty new car, in a couple weeks I'll take it closer to redline and bump up setting to C and then D seems to by many users favorite. Question I have, is people have reported that RC says the power is really there from 1-4k rpms and then not much up added up top. If this is true, then how can they state a 50 HP increase over stock on their website, when this is of course the upper rpm range? I haven't had a chance to test upper limits and no one seems to have dyno'd the thing. I do enjoy it, it's a much smoother delivery vs. the JB Stage 1 I had on my X3, and I like the low end torque, just wondering if it really falls off up top.
Since you're still on B, it might take some more miles to adapt to your car fully. Give it at least 100 miles before bumping to next setting. I know for a fact after driving in the first 2 settings for a month I kept increasing when I was going to drag-race 0-60 and 0-70 a few friends with 28 Dinan, 28 BMS Stage1, and stock 35 X3's .. I have X3 28i and with the Racechip I won each race against all .. Video link in my signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by schybrid View Post
So your basically happy with the power output of the 235i as it is? Im almost thinking i might be in the same boat as you..... I would love to have the extra power, especially this being the first turbo car i've owned, but unless the power is inexpensive & reliable, theres no point in spending the $$ just to have minimal gains, and then have to deal with issues of warranty & dealer issues.

What about the JB4 stage 1, that seems promising though....
Since he came from a F10 528 (heavy and slower motor) he is definitely super happy with the M235 (smaller size lighter and faster engine) which never disappoints maybe he will crave some more power who knows.
JB4 is stage2, stage1 is simply named JB or BMS Stage1.
It is the same as having Racechip in stock setting the advantage Racechip has it will not tap into wiring to provide more power. And it has been mentioned Racechip Engineers use setting E or F with their mods.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:28 AM   #408
Anas M235i
Enlisted Member
Saudi Arabia
Rep

[QUOTE=ROBNYC;17810633]Put some miles on the setting it will adapt the more miles you drive on it. It gets better after 100 miles at least I can remember. If you feel you want more or it drops off increase 1 setting and put some miles. Also make sure you're using TopTierGas (93 octane / 98 RON) for best performance.

I'm on D setting at the moment but didn't put down the miles as you mention but I have a concern about the heat build up from increase in boost that it might be the problem to why I can't feel a large difference in top end grunt.

because I must drive 10 miles to the nearest road where I can push the car hard and see its performance and ambient temps here are around 30degC

I think I have to do a dyno run and also get an intercooler for the car
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #409
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

Is it just me that has the feeling that ROBNYC has a vested interest in promoting the RaceChip ?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #410
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Is it just me that has the feeling that ROBNYC has a vested interest in promoting the RaceChip ?
I don't see how I have a vested interest in promoting it, only that I am capable of sharing my experience which some may take the wrong way NOT MY PROBLEM. Get a tune and try it out, as others have done tried multiple. Plus this is a Racechip thread.
Not for nothing but all you do is open thread, talk about tunes, but dont know which one you have? In your recent thread kdog wrote to you he has both jb4 and racechip and for him jb was a hit or miss and rc was smoother. Is he promoting racechip too? how about every other person on here who has it on their M235 are they promoting it?

Why because I'm being honest? Because I'm not being a jb fanboy?

Last edited by FSociety; 04-27-2015 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #411
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

[QUOTE=Anas M235i;17812757]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
Put some miles on the setting it will adapt the more miles you drive on it. It gets better after 100 miles at least I can remember. If you feel you want more or it drops off increase 1 setting and put some miles. Also make sure you're using TopTierGas (93 octane / 98 RON) for best performance.

I'm on D setting at the moment but didn't put down the miles as you mention but I have a concern about the heat build up from increase in boost that it might be the problem to why I can't feel a large difference in top end grunt.

because I must drive 10 miles to the nearest road where I can push the car hard and see its performance and ambient temps here are around 30degC

I think I have to do a dyno run and also get an intercooler for the car
Wagner Performance Intercooler was the first tune I got for my M235i before doing all other tunes (RaceChip, Downpipe, air filter). Due to your country's temperature, you should change the OEM intercooler before you go installing RaceChip/DINAN/JB4, etc

Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #412
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it is just you... oh and another guy who's name is dinanfan.

+1 on what ROBNYC said, this is a thread that was started by me to share my experience and to promote that other RaceChip users could also share theirs.

What is the "strange" thing about sharing good thoughts about a product?

If you don't feel like the RaceChip is "your" kind of mod for your car, there are also other interesting products like DINAN, JB4 which also have their own threads, do you see me or any RaceChip owner going to those threads and say that all positive posts about those products are just marketing promotions? I invite you to go to those threads, read and make your choice.

But, don't come here and judge us because until now we haven't had any problems with the RC Ultimate and that we're happy with it. If any of us should encounter problems with it, this will be also the place to report it because, I say again, this thread was started to share our experiences, not to "sell" the product.

Have a good one.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #413
Turbo_435i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fire Spittin 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post

+1 on what ROBNYC said, this is a thread that was started by me to share my experience and to promote that other RaceChip users could also share theirs.

If you don't feel like the RaceChip is "your" kind of mod for your car, there are also other interesting products like DINAN, JB4 which also have their own threads, do you see me or any RaceChip owner going to those threads and say that all positive posts about those products are just marketing promotions? I invite you to go to those threads, read and make your choice.

But, don't come here and judge us because until now we haven't had any problems with the RC Ultimate and that we're happy with it. If any of us should encounter problems with it, this will be also the place to report it because, I say again, this thread was started to share our experiences, not to "sell" the product.

Have a good one.
So whats better

Racechip
JB4
Active autowerke
Dinan
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #414
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schybrid View Post
So whats better

Racechip
JB4
Active autowerke
Dinan
There is no "best" tune. If you are going to stay stock, then RaceChip or JB stage 1. If you overly concerned about warranty issues, then the Dinan Stage 2 matched with their intake sounds promising, although just released and haven't seen a single review. Not familiar with Active. The JB4 is a great solution for those that are looking for the most power when matched with added bolt-ons such as meth and catless downpipe and for those that like to customize things. I would guess a JB4 with no other mods on their base map would perform about the same as stage 1 map like RaceChip or JB stage 1, but requires more wires and splicing into things vs a simple 2 wire 5 minute job like the stage 1 tunes. I can all but guarantee a JB4 with full bolt-ons will out perform all other tunes due to the customization to map things to your add-ons. That said, I'm stock accept tune and have tried 2 stage 1 tunes, JB stage 1 and RaceChip and for me the RaceChip has worked out better in terms of power delivery and no issues thus far. If I have issues, I'll want answers and thus I will post any problems hear to get potential solutions and also of course call RaceChip directly. Enjoy your car, stock or whatever tune you choose and post honest feedback if you wish.
      04-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #415
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Have a good one.

Frankly Alex, I always thought that your comments were honestly felt and informative and I appreciate the effort you put to sustain this thread. I perceive no hidden agenda whatsoever in your interventions.

All I am looking for is to get at the truth as to which stage 1 (no bolt-ons) performs the best regardless of cost.

My understanding is that, now that it has adjustable boost, the JB stage 1 is as powerful as any other with 94 octane, which we have here in Canada. This should be OK for track (road course) use.

I also gather that the RaceChip Ultimate is very smooth and has great low end torque at the expense of high end power, which should suit the street well.

Finally, I realize that in the end, the only thing that shall settle the duel of the butt-dynos is a real dyno – I’m impatiently waiting for this!

My apologies Alex, as I did not mean to offend you in any way.
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #416
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Frankly Alex, I always thought that your comments were honestly felt and informative and I appreciate the effort you put to sustain this thread. I perceive no hidden agenda whatsoever in your interventions.

All I am looking for is to get at the truth as to which stage 1 (no bolt-ons) performs the best regardless of cost.

My understanding is that, now that it has adjustable boost, the JB stage 1 is as powerful as any other with 94 octane, which we have here in Canada. This should be OK for track (road course) use.

I also gather that the RaceChip Ultimate is very smooth and has great low end torque at the expense of high end power, which should suit the street well.

Finally, I realize that in the end, the only thing that shall settle the duel of the butt-dynos is a real dyno – I’m impatiently waiting for this!

My apologies Alex, as I did not mean to offend you in any way.
I really admire people who can clarify things without going into fights or hard discussions, so basically I admire and thank your attitude my friend. I was not offended, I was just trying to make clear that neither Rob or I, have an agenda with RaceChip. For me, I'm just happy with the results and very happy to share it with you guys here.

I've learned so much from this community that I get excited those times I have something interesting/useful to share, you know.

Cheers Beheme!
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #417
Béhème
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Cheers Beheme!
It's pronounced Béhème !!!

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #418
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
AlexGT Béhème You guys here have a really good community of helpful folks and mature audience compared to other sections.
I also did not meant to come off wrong by any means.
We might sound a bit fanboy'ish but the truth of the matter is I am and I can see others are really enjoying their Racechip.
Indeed, the low-end/midrange torque is what I was looking for to get off the line as quick as possible since thats where the lag is.
Correct, the new revision bms stage1 comes now with 4psi why? because aFe has been doing it already , why? because race chip can turn up the boost with a single click.
bmsS1 still requires the cable if you want to go further above 4psi, not with race chip you just dial-up.
At the end of the day the Dyno will vary, the best way to see which one is working is to test your 1/4m time and that is what I will be doing May 29th. Dyno's cost more than a drag run and Dyno's can be altered to their advantage (Tune Sellers) etc.
One thing I learned from the 550 folks is that what good is a Dyno chart if you're not doing any good numbers in a straight line? =D
I recommend getting whichever tune you prefer and try it for a week hard and try the next, and try the next since they all should have money-back guaranteed.
For ex. ActiveAutowerke has 30 days.

Good Luck and keep us posted

PS. the more I drive on stock setting the better it adapts, from now on pls test each setting for a whole tank of gas =D

Appreciate 1