THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Noob Tuner

04-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
bimmerfan235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Noob Tuner

Hey everyone,

I am really interested in tuning my 2 month old M235i. I would definitely not mind a little more power in the car. Ive heard a lot of recommendations about a JB4. I really don't know much about tuning at all and would love if someone would recommend some good threads or websites that would inform me of what options there are, how it all works and above all, WHAT ARE THE RISKS as this is a lease. If you guys want to leave some info on this thread that would be great as well although I know there are already a ton of these threads out there.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan235 View Post
Hey everyone,

I am really interested in tuning my 2 month old M235i. I would definitely not mind a little more power in the car. Ive heard a lot of recommendations about a JB4. I really don't know much about tuning at all and would love if someone would recommend some good threads or websites that would inform me of what options there are, how it all works and above all, WHAT ARE THE RISKS as this is a lease. If you guys want to leave some info on this thread that would be great as well although I know there are already a ton of these threads out there.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!
I'll keep this short and simple. If all you want is a bit more power and aren't going to add additional parts like catless downpipe or run meth mix, stick with the ease of installation of one of the various Stage 1 tunes that use 2 plugs and take 5 minutes to install. You'll get an extra 35-50 hp and 45-60 torque. I use the Racechip Ultimate, but I've also used the lower cost JB Stage 1 for another BMW with same engine. I think the Racechip is smoother in power delivery, but it's also double the cost. You sound like perhaps a novice in the tuning of BMW's, so simpler the better as you won't most likely use all the extra features the JB4 can and the install taps into some wires and isn't the 5 minute install the Stage 1 tunes are. That's my simple take. Enjoy
      04-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
rmshashaty
Rep
Drives: m235i

Use the search tab, every other day there is a new thread on JB4. Perks of doing research on your own is you will learn more than just asking a question. Also check out n54tech.com for more information than you can handle
      04-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

honestly, learning how to tune a jb4 is not hard at all. i learned most of the stuff on here when i first got my car. Plus if you have questions, terry over at jb will be more than willing to help you.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

bimmerfan235 , come by when you have time. I can show you my X5 with the JB4, Catless dp, and chargepipe.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan235 View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Hi,
As mentioned above, start with a stage 1 tune. It will give you a nice increase in power without putting too much stress on the engine. I would get the JB stage 1 because it offers flexibility in terms of power gains. You can select to add more boost if you want to go more aggressive.
As for risks, more pressure on components may shorten their lives. That being said thousands of users are using these tunes without a problem so i would not be too worried about it.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0