THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i options (US)

05-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
228i options (US)

I've been spending a lot of time with the Configurator on BMW's website, but I'm having trouble making up my mind on a couple of the options. I was hoping maybe you guys could help sway me one way or the other.

Dynamic handling package or not?
  • I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the suspension depending on my mood, but the M Sport suspension may already be the ideal compromise between handling and ride. I generally like the ride on my sport packaged E90 328i, but there are certain roads where it can feel a little harsh. I've never questioned the handling.
  • The variable sport steering is probably something I'd get used to and end up liking, but I'm not sure I'd ever miss it if I didn't have it. I definitely didn't regret not getting it on my E90 328i.

M Sport Brakes or not?
  • If I have to make an emergency stop on the freeway, will these brakes bring me to a stop faster, or is the benefit mostly fade resistance after multiple hard stops?
  • Is the pedal feel significantly firmer with these brakes?

Technology Package or not?
  • Compared with a good smart phone, most in-car systems I've seen just aren't as good. BMW's may be good enough, but I'm just not sure.
  • The definite plus of an in-car system is that you don't have to suction-cup your phone to the dash or windshield.
  • The definite minus is $2,150.

M Sport vs. Sport Line?

I definitely want sport seats, so I need to get one of these lines. If I do decide to get the M Sport Brakes, I have to get M Sport. But if not, I'm kind of torn.
  • I actually like the Sport Line's wheels and red interior accent stripe a little better than what you get with the M Sport, but I really prefer the steering wheel you get with the M Sport.
  • I don't think fog lights are a big deal, but I'm kind of annoyed that you pay $700 extra to lose them.
  • The M Sport's aggressive front clip looks nice, but from the photos, it looks like it has these little black flaps in the corners that are just begging to get scraped.
  • From the back, it's a toss up for me, with the Sport Line looking more subtle, and the M Sport looking more racy.
  • The black mirror caps on the Sport Line are questionable, but they look like they may be less vulnerable to chips and scratches.
  • I guess I have to decide whether the sportier steering wheel is worth $700 to me.

Last edited by danimal; 05-31-2014 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
ryancolucci
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i msport

Can't really give to much insight since i still havent received my car yet Anyways I'll give my opinion as to how i specd my car.

Dynamic Handling Package - I opted yes mainly because like you i like the idea of being able to adjust my suspension based on my mood. Almost like you are getting 2 different cars when you have the ride set to comfort vs sport+. Again this is soley based on what i have read prior since my last e60 did not have dynamic handling package but everyone who has had it says they would not go back to without.

M sport brakes - I opted no although i was on the fence about this and in retrospect i wish i would have added these. These are supposed to be very similar in performace the mperf brakes which are BIG bucks. for $650 cant really go wrong

Tech package - This was an easy pass. I had this on my e60 and could have easily done withou. I much rather use the 2k for perfomance add ons like the dynamic handling and msport brakes for example

m sport vs sport line - I opted for msport mainly bc like you i wanted the sport seats and i really wanted estoril blue so it was an easy decision. Cant really go wrong either way.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

If you haven't already ordered and can't find what you want in stock, the game has changed for 2015. Check out the new pricing and ordering guides. The Dynamic Handling package is gone. The Track Package has replaced it, so it's an all-or-none proposition on a 228i for MAdaptive suspension, Variable Sport Steering, MSport brakes, and the performance tires.

And, BMW has not gotten any smarter with Valencia Orange....still confined to 228i/Sportline - not available on any MSport.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
mathis.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 235

sport line would be the most price efficient way to get the good seats + steering wheel.

Tech Pack is a lot more than navigation. Its bluetooth audio (play music wirelessly through the car) real time traffic, weather, bmw online, and bmw apps. For iphone users apps allow you to do things like get maps directions sent to the cars navigation and the ability to lock and unlock your doors, honk the horn flash the headlights....all from your phone. There is also the ability to get your facebook and twitter newsfeeds on the screen as well, and from there you can dictate a tweet or status update and get them read aloud to you...if you can't go three seconds without checking your phone

If you have an android based device tech pack allows you to get your text messages displayed on the screen and you can get them read back to you/dictate a new text. Again if you're the sort of person who's always on your phone, its the best choice.

Oh and the screen is bigger too

As far as track package goes, its going to be a bit more hardcore than people think. If it's going to be your daily driver, the stock set up should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Previous: E38 740il, E66 745li, E46 M3 TiSi/Imola, E39 M5 CB/Caramel
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathis. View Post
sport line would be the most price efficient way to get the good seats + steering wheel.
Not sure why you say that? The Sport Line doesn't come with the M Sport Steering Wheel, as far as I know.

Quote:
As far as track package goes, its going to be a bit more hardcore than people think. If it's going to be your daily driver, the stock set up should be fine.
Not sure why you say this, either. The Track Package is going to come with the adaptive suspension, so it's not going to be very hardcore at all in Comfort mode (which is kind of the point of the adaptive suspension).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Sportline steering wheel appears to have the same rim section as the MSport wheel. This may be better than the base wheel, although I haven't had the chance to check that one out.

Agree that Track Package is not at all too intense for DD use. It's just taking the 2014 Dynamic Handling package and adding MSport brakes and tire upgrade which M235i folks get. The name may be a bit intense for marketing purposes, but it's very usable daily content.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
I've been spending a lot of time with the Configurator on BMW's website, but I'm having trouble making up my mind on a couple of the options. I was hoping maybe you guys could help sway me one way or the other.

Dynamic handling package or not?
  • I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the suspension depending on my mood, but the M Sport suspension may already be the ideal compromise between handling and ride. I generally like the ride on my sport packaged E90 328i, but there are certain roads where it can feel a little harsh. I've never questioned the handling.
  • The variable sport steering is probably something I'd get used to and end up liking, but I'm not sure I'd ever miss it if I didn't have it. I definitely didn't regret not getting it on my E90 328i.
Do you plan to keep the car out of warranty? The adaptive suspension will be pretty expensive for what normally would be new shocks. I very rarely see people change the suspension settings, they tend to either stay in sport mode or comfort mode all the time. These days of course other things change with the setting so it isn't easy to tell.

The variable sport steering I used in a 4-series wasn't good IMHO. I didn't drive the same car without.

I suppose for the variable steering there might be more software updates in the future, more potential for improvements. It is becoming standard on some models.

Quote:
M Sport Brakes or not?
  • If I have to make an emergency stop on the freeway, will these brakes bring me to a stop faster, or is the benefit mostly fade resistance after multiple hard stops?
  • Is the pedal feel significantly firmer with these brakes?
Some magazine must have tested that. Haven't seen it, though. Magazines, especially U.S. ones, don't like to point it out when expensive options do nothing at all to most drivers.

Quote:
Technology Package or not?
  • Compared with a good smart phone, most in-car systems I've seen just aren't as good. BMW's may be good enough, but I'm just not sure.
  • The definite plus of an in-car system is that you don't have to suction-cup your phone to the dash or windshield.
  • The definite minus is $2,150.
Nah, no way. Smartphone navigation improves at such a rapid pace, your $2150 fixed system will feel old in no time.

Quote:

M Sport vs. Sport Line?

I definitely want sport seats, so I need to get one of these lines. If I do decide to get the M Sport Brakes, I have to get M Sport. But if not, I'm kind of torn.
  • I actually like the Sport Line's wheels and red interior accent stripe a little better than what you get with the M Sport, but I really prefer the steering wheel you get with the M Sport.
  • I don't think fog lights are a big deal, but I'm kind of annoyed that you pay $700 extra to lose them.
  • The M Sport's aggressive front clip looks nice, but from the photos, it looks like it has these little black flaps in the corners that are just begging to get scraped.
  • From the back, it's a toss up for me, with the Sport Line looking more subtle, and the M Sport looking more racy.
  • The black mirror caps on the Sport Line are questionable, but they look like they may be less vulnerable to chips and scratches.
  • I guess I have to decide whether the sportier steering wheel is worth $700 to me.
Are you sure you like the M steering wheel better? I know the non-M is ugly as the seven sins but I find the knobs to be a lot more workable and the actual feel isn't that much improved with the M.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancolucci View Post
Dynamic Handling Package...Almost like you are getting 2 different cars.

M sport brakes...for $650 cant really go wrong.

Tech package - This was an easy pass.
All good points. Unless someone can convince me that a performance add on will provide benefits only on a race track, I think I'll just go for it. Thanks for the feedback!

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
If you haven't already ordered and can't find what you want in stock, the game has changed for 2015. Check out the new pricing and ordering guides. The Dynamic Handling package is gone. The Track Package has replaced it, so it's an all-or-none proposition on a 228i for MAdaptive suspension, Variable Sport Steering, MSport brakes, and the performance tires.
That sounds like an easy decision, but I'll have to decide whether to alter a car already in the pipeline, which means getting these options al la carte, or get one that is an August (I think) build and go for the Track Pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
And, BMW has not gotten any smarter with Valencia Orange....still confined to 228i/Sportline - not available on any MSport.
I guess I'm just not adventurous enough for that color I was thinking Alpine White (I love black but it's just too much work).

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squddie View Post
Nah, no way. Smartphone navigation improves at such a rapid pace, your $2150 fixed system will feel old in no time.
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. It would be ideal if I could just operate my phone using the car's touch screen. I don't want BMW apps, I want Android (or iPhone or Windows phone) apps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squddie View Post
Are you sure you like the M steering wheel better? I know the non-M is ugly as the seven sins but I find the knobs to be a lot more workable and the actual feel isn't that much improved with the M.
When you say "feel", I assume you're talking about the shape and feel of the rim (as opposed to the steering feel, which I would expect to be the same). My preference for the M steering wheel is purely because of looks. I'll make sure to compare the buttons and and rim next time I'm at the dealership.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I guess I'm just not adventurous enough for that color I was thinking Alpine White (I love black but it's just too much work).
I'm building up from Sportline instead of MSport just to get this!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:

Tech Pack is a lot more than navigation. Its bluetooth audio (play music wirelessly through the car) real time traffic, weather, bmw online, and bmw apps. For iphone users apps allow you to do things like get maps directions sent to the cars navigation and the ability to lock and unlock your doors, honk the horn flash the headlights....all from your phone. There is also the ability to get your facebook and twitter newsfeeds on the screen as well, and from there you can dictate a tweet or status update and get them read aloud to you...if you can't go three seconds without checking your phone

If you have an android based device tech pack allows you to get your text messages displayed on the screen and you can get them read back to you/dictate a new text. Again if you're the sort of person who's always on your phone, its the best choice.

Oh and the screen is bigger too

Hope this helps!
i know on the 2015 3 series BT audio is finally standard. so its possible its now standard on the 2015 2 series also which kind of kills another benefit of the tech package.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #13
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Okay, well I just spent a good chunk of the afternoon at my local BMW dealership. I drove a 228i that had Sport Line but no Dynamic Handling or M Sport Brakes. I gotta' tell you, I loved it exactly as it was. The handling felt great, and the brakes were very firm and strong. I really didn't feel like the ride was harsh at all, so if I had Dynamic Handling, I doubt I would want to put the suspension into comfort mode very often. I also really didn't mind the non-sport steering wheel--despite not being as pretty, it felt good in my hands and it was easy to operate the buttons.

So, this is what I ended up going with:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...tionId=5405387

I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet, though, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Once the order goes in, it will be approximately eight (agonizing) weeks before the car is delivered.
Attached Images

Last edited by danimal; 06-02-2014 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep

Looks pretty good. I'd probably spring for the upgraded stereo, but that's just me.

Are you sure about the black Sensatec, though? My fear is that it would be uncomfortably hot in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
ryancolucci
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
Are you sure about the black Sensatec, though? My fear is that it would be uncomfortably hot in the summer.
Black Sensatec is the only option unless you want to splurge $1,650 for leather. def not worth it in my opinion. Just tint your windows and should be fine.

Build looks sweet. Nice and simple! Lighting package is a must!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
ryancolucci
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Okay, well I just spent a good chunk of the afternoon at my local BMW dealership. I drove a 228i that had Sport Line but no Dynamic Handling or M Sport Brakes. I gotta' tell you, I loved it exactly as it was. The handling felt great, and the brakes were very firm and strong. I really didn't feel like the ride was harsh at all, so if I had Dynamic Handling, I doubt I would want to put the suspension into comfort mode very often.

Keep in mind the adjustable suspenstion with the dynamic handling package includes 4 settings, comfort/normal/sport/sport+. I believe the msport suspension is equal to the sport setting so with the sport+ you have the ability for an even sportier ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looks pretty good. I'd probably spring for the upgraded stereo, but that's just me.
I was never really disappointed with the stock stereo in my E90, so I thought I'd not bother with the Harman Kardon.

Quote:
That's a good point. I was really happy with the tactile feel, durability, and ease of maintenance of the leatherette in my E90, but it was tan, not black.

I'm hoping this will be offset by going with Alpine White instead of Jet Black and getting the windows tinted.

BTW, is there any meaningful difference between Sensatec and Leatherette, or did BMW just decide to upgrade it's euphemism for vinyl?

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Keep in mind the adjustable suspenstion with the dynamic handling package includes 4 settings, comfort/normal/sport/sport+. I believe the msport suspension is equal to the sport setting so with the sport+ you have the ability for an even sportier ride.
True, I thought about that, but I just don't think I'd use it. The sport suspension felt just right to me. I'm also pretty sure I'd rather put that money toward replacing the stock tires, which are a bit lower on grip than is typical for this class. Finally, I like the idea that if I need new shocks, they won't be horrendously expensive.

Last edited by danimal; 06-02-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I believe that SPORT+ is identical to SPORT as far as suspension stiffness. SPORT+ just dials back some of the electronic nannies.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #20
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Black Sensatec is the only option unless you want to splurge $1,650 for leather. def not worth it in my opinion. Just tint your windows and should be fine.

Thanks, Ryan. Yeah, the lighting package was one of only 3 options I got on my E90. Definitely glad I sprung for it.

Last edited by danimal; 06-02-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #21
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal
Quote:

Thanks, Ryan. Yeah, the lighting package was one of only 3 options I got on my E90. Definitely glad I sprung for them.
Beautiful car, almost exactly like mine. Mines alpine white , Msport , xenon lights (they're fantastic) , manual trans, and HK sound. Not impressed with the HK at all. Wish I'd spent the money on Msport brakes. But you'll love the car I promise.
      06-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
Beautiful car, almost exactly like mine. Mines alpine white , Msport , xenon lights (they're fantastic) , manual trans, and HK sound. Not impressed with the hp at all. Wish I'd spent the money on Msport brakes. But you'll love the car I promise.
Not impressed with the hp? The horsepower?

Appreciate 0