THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum [New Owner!] I've decided to keep the original rims

06-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

[New Owner!] I've decided to keep the original rims

Hi all! I purchased a used M235i a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that the original owner left a few tiny rim rashes. I'm incredibly picky about wheel condition, so I was studying the tradeoff between fixing these rims vs getting a brand new square rim set. Oh, and it's time to replace the rear tires.

Given that in a square setup the tires last longer, the cost per mile of a square setup is lower than my current staggered setup. So, I did the math to figure out when replacing the staggered setup would pay by itself, including the investment of a new rim set.

I almost pulled the trigger to get a square set up, which would have been an O.Z. Hyper GT 18x8 with a set of 225/40/18, but I realized that I don't plan to daily drive 5x a day. This means that reaching that "mile payback" would take a lot longer than what I was originally planning. I could even potentially sell my car before reaching the "payback time" of the initial rim investment.

Bottom line, yeah, I'll just keep the original setup.
Anyone else thought about swapping out the rims but kept original?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

i had a pair of avant garde m359 on my old 228i. sizes were 8.5 et35 fronts and 9.5 et45 rears. i thought the poke looked ridiculous, especially in the back

when i got my m235i i decided to keep the stock wheels even though i still have the m359's and could easily swap them out. im not down for that stupid ass poke.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      06-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I've thought about going to another 19" wheel, from the OEM 624M's, but since they look nice and are forged, I just run em as my daily wheel. When I first got the car I wanted another set asap so I wouldn't ding these ones up from rocks, etc, but f'it it's just a car. Have a set of 18x9 wheels/tires for track and weekend use if I ever need them, otherwise sticking with the stock 19" wheels until I "require" the upgrade..

My only reason would be to go up a tire size, if I did get a different 19" wheel. These 624M's are a bit narrower than I'd prefer.
      06-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I really like the design of the 719M's and probably would have stuck with them had they been an 8"f and 9"r wheel. I'll still throw the stock's on every once in awhile for a change.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I considered going square, but the cost of rims was way more than it would be worth - will probably go square for track set (and my winters are square).

I think you may have an exaggerated sense of how much extra mileage you would get from a square setup (at least if it is something you could imagine amortizing the cost of nice wheels for). That, or I'm underestimating repair costs (and if the cost of repairing rims is so close to buying new ones, it may be trivial). Unless you have x-drive, and need to replace all 4 at once, rotating tires doesn't really prolong overall tire life (it just spreads the wear out more evenly).

I'd pick wheels based first on performance (proper fit, strength, then lightness), with cosmetic/aesthetics as a close second. Some put the looks first, obviously, but it really won't be a money-saving deal. My recent excursions into track days has made me much more aware of all those fiddly little crevices that catch the brake dust, so I now put simplicity and lack of complications high on my list.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
PDXF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
Anyone else thought about swapping out the rims but kept original?
I went back and fourth a lot but eventually swapped them out. I really disliked the color and style of the 436M wheels that come on the M235/240, but for simplicity's sake I updated to the 461M, which I believe were optional in the US but standard in Canada or something. Same size, offset etc as the original but much cleaner IMO and pretty cheap for a brand new set from Turner.
Appreciate 0