THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i vs Mini Cooper S

07-13-2014, 01:39 AM   #23
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickinaz View Post
I own a 2014 435i, and my wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper S. She had a previous generation Cooper S and the torque steer was intrusive. The 3rd generation has tamed that issue, and the car shares much BMW DNA. It has really moved up a level.
I test drove thus newest generation and it is a BMW in Mini clothing. +1 on it's moved up a level. That said it doesn't feel as light and nibble as a first gen.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #24
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventus View Post
Thank you all for the advice. The Mini's FWD is a major let down IMHO. Having said that, at low inner city speeds, this car is a blast. I just loved the steering feel and the sport suspension.

My BMW CA informed me that they finally got a 235i. Really excited about the test drive.
City: Mini
Freeway: 228i
Foothills/canyons: M235i

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #25
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

One guy tried to race me with a cooper s today. I took off and got at least two car lengths on him w/out reving to redline, I up shifted at around 5700 rpm twice. I slowed down at 70 he kept going. Did I mention I had three passengers with me.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #26
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Have a look at this, not precisely your comparison but I think you will get the idea as the drive trains are still there.

Like most have said, they are very different machines. Not typical cross shop contenders, M135i a little closer apparently as per the link however.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #27
Mister RK
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I had the chance to test drive both cars on the same day. I would say that the Cooper S is more of a happy fun sports car especially with the new LED package, where as the M235i is more of a performance fun sports car. I guess it depends on which of the two you would prefer, keeping in mind the price difference between the two cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #28
Juventus
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventus View Post
Thank you all for the advice. The Mini's FWD is a major let down IMHO. Having said that, at low inner city speeds, this car is a blast. I just loved the steering feel and the sport suspension.

My BMW CA informed me that they finally got a 235i. Really excited about the test drive.
City: Mini
Freeway: 228i
Foothills/canyons: M235i

Why do you say 228 for the freeway and M235 for the canyons.?

Should it not be the other way round since the 228 is the lighter and "more nimble" of the two.
2012 BMW 328i retired
2015 BMW M235i current
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #29
pw4
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 230i Msport

Only just came across this thread. I have a 2010 Cooper S and now a 220i as well. Should be about similar acceleration (haven't finished running in the bimmer yet). The LCI (facelift) of the R56 pretty much eliminated torque steer - they did it through software somehow. Mine also has the electronic diff. So the nasty steering characteristics of front-drive are mostly gone, but the 220i (with adaptive suspension and steering) still has much sweeter steering, although it's way too light in comfort mode.
MINIs have way too much understeer (push) as standard - I think BMW uses it to give the "go-kart handling" but it's slow and not well-balanced. With a camber kit and a rear sway bar mine is neutral.
So - the comparison? The MINI is great for zipping around, and much more agile on tight, twisty roads (2nd gear stuff). The BMW can almost match the MINI down such roads, but it doesn't come so naturally to it and while it's very capable it's much less involving - even passengers notice it. On more open road, the BMW comes into its own. The MINI gets bounced around too much on bumps (even with the softest suspension). The biggest difference is the handling - you balance the car into corners completely differently, so my choice depends on whether I want to delicately balance the car with throttle (MINI) or load the weight onto the outside rear wheel and balance it with power (BMW). With a MINI with standard suspension, you just get a heap of understeer through the corner and you can't accelerate until you're right at the end of the curve.
In carparks the MINI is much better :-). The BMW is SO much the better cruising car on the freeways. Overall the BMW is much smoother, more sophisticated, quality feeling in its driving. Out of the box, its handling is superior.
And the original question was 235i vs Cooper S. The 235i is on another planet for acceleration. Depends if that's your thing. IMO the Cooper S and 220i both have as much power as I can use (legally) on the roads. I've test-driven a 235i and I can't imagine how you could use all that power except on a track or autobahn. Or at traffic-lights, which is pretty short fun for $30K extra!
All IMO of course :-)
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2014, 02:18 AM   #30
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

I'm driving a 2012 MINI Cooper S with sport package now and waiting for my ordered 228i Sportline with Track Package to arrive. Torque steer is definitely an issue with my car, can't speak for the 2014/15 version. Having said that, it is a very fun car to drive. I've had it for three years and the driving fun never gets old. You really can throw it around. I have really this car more than any other car I've owned (and I came out of a 2009 335i into the MINI). I fully expected to get a new one when my lease was up in December, but I just couldn't get past the styling of the new MINI. I also found the new one to be "too refined" and I felt it had less of the go-cart feel that my car has. If I was going to lose the go-cart feel I thought I would check out the 228i and I liked it a lot on the test drive. With a fully optioned out MCS, there isn't a huge price difference between the two. From strictly a fun driving perspective, you can't go wrong with a MINI, but as others have said, they're two completely different cars and different kinds of fun. Keep in mind too that when you get a MINI you are also getting a lifestyle if you're looking for that. There are very active MINI clubs everywhere, The annual MINI Takes the States is a kick and AMIV (A MINI Vacation in Vegas) is a blast too. I'm definitely going to miss all that and it was a major issue I had to consider in giving up the MINI. Whichever one you choose, you probably won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 02:24 AM   #31
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Lynn, the apparent small size of the MINI is deceiving. Because it's a hatch, you can fit quite a lot of stuff in a MINI, and bulky stuff too that won't fit in the trunk of a 2 Series. I moved recently and moved just about everything but the furniture in my MINI, boxes, lamps, small tables, you name it. The cargo capacity is actually one of the things I know I'm going to miss when I give up my MINI for my 228i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_228i View Post
I know I will be very happy with my BMW 228i that should be here in the next 2 weeks. I also know I will appreciate more room for groceries and/or office supplies.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #32
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
Lynn, the apparent small size of the MINI is deceiving. Because it's a hatch, you can fit quite a lot of stuff in a MINI, and bulky stuff too that won't fit in the trunk of a 2 Series. I moved recently and moved just about everything but the furniture in my MINI, boxes, lamps, small tables, you name it. The cargo capacity is actually one of the things I know I'm going to miss when I give up my MINI for my 228i.
It's a different kind of space. The MINI is better if you have tall items or a lot of things that stack easily, like boxes. The 2 Series has more floor space, which is better for grocery bags and other non-boxy items that don't stack well.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #33
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Thank you Chaswyck and danimal for your input. I really loved the Mini Cooper S so much when I tested it but the sport seat was too long for my leg. I do love my BMW 228i but I wish I could move the back of the seat forward without first having the seat go farther away from the steering wheel to lower it. I am so petite so I keep my seat very close (but not all the way forward) to the steering wheel. I try to stay as far as I can with just touching the floor. I wish the leather would be softer with less of the plastic feel. If all the BMW's would have come with power folding mirrors, I think I would have gone with the Sensatec seating as I can't tell the difference between my black seats that are supposed to be leather and my neighbor's black seats. We both have white BMW's (I got mine first) but he has the three series version with black seats. My other neighbor has the BMW X1 with the Sensatec seats. I just wanted the powered mirrors that I use all the time to fold them when I am pulling into my garage. I love the way my car handles and how comfortable it is to drive long distances. I also love my back-up camera. Sometimes I wish I had a hatchback when I am carrying crates to my outside storage area as most of the time I have to have others help me that have SUV's (did not like driving them) but when I go grocery shopping I love my trunk and I love the fold down seats.
Appreciate 0