THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Popping noise in steering wheel/steering wheel lock

02-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Popping noise in steering wheel/steering wheel lock

I read a few posts regarding something similar, just have a couple of questions regarding this.

1- I take it our cars are not equipped with steering wheel lock?
2- When the car is off, and I turn the wheel, there is a pretty loud popping noise heard, is this normal? Anyone else experiencing it?

When the car is on, everything seems to be fine, but ive developed some minor vibration at around 85mph, very likely wheel out of balance, or alignment but this is something I noticed recently as I was playing around with different possibilities.
      02-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

If i am not mistaken it does have an electronic steering wheel lock. But it shouldn't make any noise at all. If yours is, i would take it to the dealership for them to check it out.

I use to own a 370Z and it also had the electronic steering lock. There was a recall where the mechanism seized at the lock position, making the car un-drivable, forcing you to tow the car to the dealership. It was such a common issue people ended up bypassing the steering-lock.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
If i am not mistaken it does have an electronic steering wheel lock. But it shouldn't make any noise at all. If yours is, i would take it to the dealership for them to check it out.

I use to own a 370Z and it also had the electronic steering lock. There was a recall where the mechanism seized at the lock position, making the car un-drivable, forcing you to tow the car to the dealership. It was such a common issue people ended up bypassing the steering-lock.
I guess popping is a bit of a stretch, I was out for some coffee just now and was testing this out, it is more of a clicking noise, but definitely audible. Just wondering if this is normal or not, it allows me to turn the steering wheel almost freely, but there is a clicking/clunking that is heard.

I just don't want to be that guy that runs to the dealer for every little bit heh.
      02-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

I've just recently started to hear mine.

Mine usually only happens within the first few minutes in the car and I go to turn the wheel. I'm like batting 1000 for when I'm at the DIY spray car wash and I'm backing out and turning the wheel & it popping. Doesn't happen every day though and since others have noted it here with no adverse effects, I don't see it as an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:35 AM   #5
msginnie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Noise while turning is very common in front wheel drive vehicles, and it is usually caused by damaged or worn CV joints. CV joints are mounted on each end of a front axle, they transfer power to the wheels from the transmission.
Appreciate 0